Drum to disc question

-

LImopar

Reaction score
I am converting my 70 dart from sbp drum to bbp disc brakes. My question is I want to order a complete stainless brake line kit but not sure for which year I should buy. When I do the conversion I will be using a proportioning valve from a 73 up disc car. Do I buy the stainless kit for a 73 and up disc brake car?.

yes i would think so.. ask the guys your buying the lines from. they will be able to tell you. if they cant. then go elsewhere and buy.

Yes, when the perp valve will be mounted the same as on the 73.
Now I input my thought...Brake fluid draws moisture and generates rust. If you have a used perp valve from a donor car it may be worthless today. They cant be seviced. My money would be spent on a new prep valve. I can't justify the cost of stainless lines.

Yes you will have to buy lines from a 73, I bought mine from Jims auto parts. He has great prices. Stainless hard lines are kind of a waste. If you want a cool trick, take the regular steel lines and then take a scuffing pad and scuff up the brake lines, after you scuff them up spay some clear coat from a cana spay them, they look like polished stainless. Save the money, I would buy stainless flex lines. Hope this helps

Yea i bought lines from i cannot remember where and they were asking me if i had the bend patterns. So make sure you purchase from someone who knows what they are talking about. Glad to see your from ronkonkoma about 15 min away from me!

I got all my stuff from these guys:

http://www.rightstuffdetailing.com/about_us.htm

I ordered a SSBC drum to disk kit and a complete brake line set. The SSBC kit came with an adjustable prop valve that works great, bolted right in where the original was. The brake lines went on perfect, and the job was much easier than I expected (engine out of course).

I would avoid stainless brake lines. Stainless is so much harder than regular brake tubing that it's near impossible to get a good flare, and the brake hoses and such are more difficult to "crush" on for a leak free fit.

With the treatment these cars usually get, it is highly unlikely you'll ever have rust issues anyway.

Steve

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will go with the regular lines from a 73. Quick question about the proportioning valve. Are the after market adjustable valves easy to install and do the they operate as well as the stock valves.

I have an adjustable on mine and it was really easy to install. It just goes inline with read line and it has a knob on it that you turn for more rear or less. You can really dial in the brakes. I have had no issues with it so far.

if i remember cause it was 15 year ago or more. only thing that was differant was the bracket that the hose went to by the wheel the drum hose has a diferant hole than the disc brakes but the line (steel one were all the same) and i use a valve from 73 i think. mine is non power brakes .als

LOL, I keep telling you to come by, I just finished my swap.

I'd order the lines for the year of the car and make any small bend adjustment to fit the disc brake proportioning valve.

-
Back