Drum to power disc?

-

dostroupe

Reaction score
Let me tell you what I have 1975 Duster Slant 6 w/manual drums. I have a line on a 1978 Volare with the Super 6, which I want, and also has power disc brakes. I know from reading previous threads I can swap to the disc brakes in front. So can I assume that I can use the power disc also? And, off the tread topic, how about the rear end, you know for the large bolt pattern. Thanks for any help!!!...after much research I have found the answers. The rear wouldn't be much help and I'll just go with no power disc brakes up front.

Power assist is a different question than disc brakes. A-body power boosters sit on stand-off brackets with a lever system for the pedal and rod. Look for photos. If Volares have the same setup, it might fit. Just measure the firewall bolt pattern and consider hood clearance.

In changing from front drums to front disks, you will need a proportioning valve in series with your rear drums. Factory ones can be expensive. Perhaps you can use the one on the Volare. I put an adjustable one on my Dart, $28 new on ebay and many posts here.

You will have to keep your upper control arms. 99.9% of them are big ball joint but there seems to be a very few that are small ball joint with 9 inch drums surfacing.

I have manual disc set up from a Volare on a 68 Valiant and it works great. I personally see no need for power brakes on a light car like that with the disc setup.

F body booster wont work, very different mounting.
All the disc stuff works fine without the booster. The F prop valve works too.
The F rearend is 1-1/2"+ wider at the drum face and at the spring perches.

Thanks for the replies guys. I decided against power assist and the f-body rear. I'll just find a 8-1/4 a-body rear and go with that. They should be cheap enough.

Don't mean to hijack this thread but I'm also in the same situation of knowing where a 77-78 Volare Wagon is in a junk yard. I liberated the Super Six from it last summer and wasn't aware i could use the disc setup.
Question....I'm assuming the rotors are probably worn and the calipers frozen, what parts do I need to pick for my 69 fish?

Get the spindles, dust shield, caliper mount bracket. Keep all the hardware!
Check locally if you need a core for the new calipers. May be cheaper to buy the used ones to use as cores. You may be surprised about the rotors. They may have been replaced at some time and still be good.

-
Back