dual air scoop gasket?

-

sorewrist1

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Can't find it.
are you supposed to use a gasket a sealer chalk between the dual air scoops and the hood or just bolt it down?

What vehicle/year are you referring to? My 1970 Swinger 340 has neoprene gaskets on the hood around the holes under the hood scoops to help keep water from flowing onto the top of the unsilenced air cleaner. There is no gasket between the scoop and the hood. Hope this helps.

I was thinking about making a thin rubber gasket under the scoops them selfs (1970 Dart dual scoops) just to snug them down a little, sometimes I can see sun light between the scoops and hood, it just bugs me. any thoughts?

Jeff

I was thinking about making a thin rubber gasket under the scoops them selfs (1970 Dart dual scoops) just to snug them down a little, sometimes I can see sun light between the scoops and hood, it just bugs me. any thoughts?

Jeff
It wasn't factory, but if it makes you happier with gaskets, then do it.
No harm in adding gaskets...........

I have wondered this question also, I have not seen gaskets between the hood & scoops on an A body. But although the same scoops are used on the Coronet, Super Bee and R/T model have used these hood insert gaskets. When I repainted the car and scoops was gong to order the gaskets but did not, I kinda- sorta wished I did. Classic sells these part# MB1727

scoopgasket.jpg

I have wondered this question also, I have not seen gaskets between the hood & scoops on an A body. But although the same scoops are used on the Coronet, Super Bee and R/T model have used these hood insert gaskets. When I repainted the car and scoops was gong to order the gaskets but did not, I kinda- sorta wished I did. Classic sells these part# MB1727

View attachment 1715336757

View attachment 1715336757
If I wanted to make some would rubber be the material to use? Maybe 1/16 thick?

If I wanted to make some would rubber be the material to use? Maybe 1/16 thick?
I would not use rubber, it will pinch out, or crack, or bleed out.....When I was body working the car for paint, I had to use a body hammer and gently pound the areas around the bolt holes to straighten the hood. The gaskets that Classic sells are made from plastic which will gently conform to the hood and scoops over a period of time. If I had to have them..... this is the route I would go, although A body cars did not have these installed, not to my knowledge.
1968-1969 All Makes All Models Parts | MB1727 | 1968-69 Dodge Coronet / Super Bee Power Bulge Hood Insert Gaskets | Classic Industries <<<this is the link to Classic.

-
Back