Dual Quad 318... I used a 273 intake

-
I'm considering using a D 64 on my newest 340 build. Is there a reason that you chose not to runs the carbs progressively?
2 reasons:
  1. This intake has a wall between the banks, so it's a long way from cyl #1 to #7 or #2 to #8.
  2. It was just simply easier for me to hook up direct with the pieces I had to work with.....
Does that intake have a completely open plenum underneath both carburetors?...

Than that's a definite NO on the Progressive..
I will say that it idles and drives around town every bit as nice as it did with the 770 Holley. I do think the back Eddy has a slight stumble when used by itself

I will say that it idles and drives around town every bit as nice as it did with the 770 Holley. I do think the back Eddy has a slight stumble when used by itself
That seems like a real strange situation not having an open plenum underneath both carburetors. Mine I can rev the entire engine with each carburetor separately and I can tell if one's not performing up to par...(Jpar..)..:D..

That seems like a real strange situation not having an open plenum underneath both carburetors. Mine I can rev the entire engine with each carburetor separately and I can tell if one's not performing up to par...(Jpar..)..:D..
well, you can on this too but the left front/rear barrel on the carb is feeding the left side of the engine and same for the right. I had it hooked to just the front carb and it idles and revs great (I didn't drive it like this). I noticed when I did it to the rear carb there was stumbling, so I was going to let the gas circulate through it and see if it comes out of it. If not, I'll have to take it apart and clean it/inspect it. No biggy

Which carbs are they? And are they identical carbs as in the same serial numbers?...

Or is it one edelbrock, and one carter???
Come on j par...that is funny!
Actually I've done extremely extensive research on tuning dual quads believe it or not... and when you buy two new Edelbrocks specifically for a dual quad application they're not the same serial number and they're not calibrated exactly the same...

I had one and ran it with progressive linkage. Ether way is fine. The 1-1 is a bit more aggressive in the power department. It comes on strong right away.

Ran with twin 600’s on a 360, Comp 294S, Edelbrock heads, Hooker Super comps, 4.10/4spd ‘73 Cuda.

Back in the 70's, I purchased an Edelbrock dual-quad Model D64 intake manifold fitting a 1964-65 273 I found in the display case of my local Salinas Dodge dealer (Bob Wills) for $50.00 (it was painted the correct 273 red engine color). However, I always ran a Holley 600 CFM double pumper on an Edelbrock Tarantula intake manifold on my bracket car '65 Valiant 4 door/4 speed conversion. Never used the D64. I was wondering if anyone is currently using one, how it is set up, and how it performs? Thank you. (Lost the D64 when I moved)

View attachment 1715521616

Which carbs are they? And are they identical carbs as in the same serial numbers?...
I think they are both 1405 (600 cfm manual choke). One has a "Hamburger" label on the front, the other Edelbrock. You can see it in the video

*Edit - 1406 carbs, would have had electric chokes

Last edited:
I think they are both 1405 (600 cfm manual choke). One has a "Hamburger" label on the front, the other Edelbrock. You can see it in the video
I think there is a 1901 and a 1902 Edelbrock that are the 500 CFM that one is electric choke and one is manual choke. But then the 1903 and 1904 are meant to run together as dual quads and they are electric choke and manual choke but are calibrated a tad different specifically for a dual quad setup. so as I was researching this kind of stuff and trying to figure out the best way to calibrate my Street Demon dual quads I took a note from their book and used a larger step in the metering rods in the front carburetor... This was what finally cured my at speed tip in issues...

I think there is a 1901 and a 1902 Edelbrock that are the 500 CFM that one is electric choke and one is manual choke. But then the 1903 and 1904 are meant to run together as dual quads and they are electric choke and manual choke but are calibrated a tad different specifically for a dual quad setup. so as I was researching this kind of stuff and trying to figure out the best way to calibrate my Street Demon dual quads I took a note from their book and used a larger step in the metering rods in the front carburetor... This was what finally cured my at speed tip in issues...
I know the front carb is really responsive by itself, and the rear wants to stumble by itself. I'll fix it, in another 6 months when I get time to look at it??? LOL :D

I know the front carb is really responsive by itself, and the rear wants to stumble by itself. I'll fix it, in another 6 months when I get time to look at it??? LOL :D
I think what made my Edelbrock and Carter run so good together was they were slightly different carburetors but calibrated exactly the same. The Carter on the back was a lot more snappy and the Edelbrock on the front was a little lazy... in hindsight that could have been all to my advantage...

I think what made my Edelbrock and Carter run so good together was they were slightly different carburetors but calibrated exactly the same. The Carter on the back was a lot more snappy and the Edelbrock on the front was a little lazy... in hindsight that could have been all to my advantage...
I just keep thinking about post 27 …. lol

The whole idea of having an open Platinum underneath both carburetors I think is almost obvious that you're not running four cylinders off of one carburetor and the other four cylinders aren't getting crap... Maybe possibly Idol from the mixture and 1 carburetor pulling 4 cylinders and the other carburetor just getting the air door of the secondaries or something?..

The whole idea of having an open Platinum underneath both carburetors I think is almost obvious that you're not running four cylinders off of one carburetor and the other four cylinders aren't getting crap... Maybe possibly Idol from the mixture and 1 carburetor pulling 4 cylinders and the other carburetor just getting the air door of the secondaries or something?..
LOL.... follow me. All cylinders will run off the same carb. The left bank gets the left side of the carb, and the right bank gets the right side of the same carb.

My next build is gonna be a 318 I have a block and a good set of heads I have some wild plans for it including turbo. I just gotta find a vehicle to put it in lol

My next build is gonna be a 318 I have a block and a good set of heads I have some wild plans for it including turbo. I just gotta find a vehicle to put it in lol
I've switched Motors in and out of my Duster and transmissions. I just make universal plugs for everything so just unplugs and plugs in...

LOL.... follow me. All cylinders will run off the same carb. The left bank gets the left side of the carb, and the right bank gets the right side of the same carb.
Oh I see I thought your divider wall was front-to-back not side to side...

I think "IF" .
IF,,,,,, IF.,...… I can't build it all, though I keep trying. LOL :D Drag Truck , '76 Duster (still undercover), Van, YOUTUBE and just a few hours to divide amongst all that...LOL IN OTHER WORDS, LIFE IS GOOD :)

IF,,,,,, IF.,...… I can't build it all, though I keep trying. LOL :D Drag Truck , '76 Duster (still undercover), Van, YOUTUBE and just a few hours to divide amongst all that...LOL IN OTHER WORDS, LIFE IS GOOD :)
I guess just as I've gotten older and I don't like running from one project to the next and wondering if I'll ever get one done..
Life is great!!!..

-
Back