Dual Snorkel cold air setup

-

mderoy340

Reaction score
I was going to send pics to another member but figured I would just post my setup for anyone interested in a cold air scoop setup.
Parts used:

3"x16" round cake pan (ordered off the web)
1/2" drop base Edelbrock 14" diameter
4"x14" Summit air filter
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-239144/overview/
14" top filter
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-239500/overview/
Leftover post car window channel seal for my rear side windows.

Hood hole is 15 3/8" diameter (traced the outer edge of a 14" ralley trim ring). Hole is offset to passenger side to match carb center. After cutting, 10/32" screws were added to stiffen the underhood braces.
Scoop is aftermarket AAR fiberglass and on centerline of hood.
Top of filter is approximately 1/2" above original hood.
Cake pan has two small holes drilled to allow water drain. I live in Florida and have driven in the rain with no issues.
I run a Professional Products airgap, demon 650dp, and 1" 4 hole phenolic spacer for a height reference.
Hood to radiator seal is installed, 3 core OEM radiator, electric fan with 180* switch and gutted thermostat (restrictor disc). I have no cooling or fuel perculation/hot start issues.

000_0262.JPG

000_0266.JPG

000_0267.JPG

000_0269.JPG

000_0270.JPG

000_0272.JPG

dart hood 001 (640x471).jpg

Hey Mike
I'm glad I put off doing this. It sure helps to have to have a detailed list of what you did and the parts that are required along with pics. A guy like me needs all the help I can get. :thankyou: I can see why you're so successful.
Now if I can get my wife to help me remove this HOOD!
:D:rolleyes:

Hey so I saw this and decided it was brilliant and I would try the same. Few questions though, how good is the seal against the underside of the hood clearance-wise? I found a 2 x 16" cake pan from Hobby Lobby and I'd like to use my non-drop base 3 x 14" air cleaner. My second question what are those rivet things to attach the pan to the cleaner base and where do you get them? I've never used them before...

Hey so I saw this and decided it was brilliant and I would try the same. Few questions though, how good is the seal against the underside of the hood clearance-wise? I found a 2 x 16" cake pan from Hobby Lobby and I'd like to use my non-drop base 3 x 14" air cleaner. My second question what are those rivet things to attach the pan to the cleaner base and where do you get them? I've never used them before...

You just need to get creative with the seal. Home depot sells foam etc. Just make sure you use some kind of seal or it defeats the purpose of cold air scoop.
I used 1/8" aluminum pop rivets. Any hardware store carries them. You need the hand rivet tool for installing them.

I'm excited should be able to get this done tomorrow then! I just finished installing my scoop and it already feels like it gained a bit of HP even with it being "open".

I was going to send pics to another member but figured I would just post my setup for anyone interested in a cold air scoop setup.
Parts used:

4"x14" Summit air filter
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-239144/overview/
14" top filter
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-239500/overview/

Hood hole is 15 3/8" diameter (traced the outer edge of a 14" ralley trim ring). Hole is offset to passenger side to match carb center. After cutting, 10/32" screws were added to stiffen the underhood braces.
Cake pan has two small holes drilled to allow water drain. I live in Florida and have driven in the rain with no issues.
I run a Professional Products airgap, demon 650dp, and 1" 4 hole phenolic spacer for a height reference.
Hood to radiator seal is installed, 3 core OEM radiator, electric fan with 180* switch and gutted thermostat (restrictor disc). I have no cooling or fuel perculation/hot start issues.

View attachment 1714948693

View attachment 1714948694

View attachment 1714948695

View attachment 1714948696

View attachment 1714948697

View attachment 1714948698

View attachment 1714948700
looks good ! I did the same thing. had to use an offset-( to clear the wiper motor, and to center it) and a pizza pan, and moroso fire retardant foam from jegs. my air cleaner is well up into the six pack scoop also . much like yours,w/ less metal and more foam.

Parts used:

4"x14" Summit air filter
Summit Racing SUM-239144 Summit Racing® Reusable Air Filter Elements | Summit Racing
14" top filter
Summit Racing SUM-239500 Summit Racing® Powerlid Air Filter Assembly Tops | Summit Racing

Love It ! I'm about to do the same thing! Thank You, Brother. I'm in FL also...

I seen a demon a few years ago that the guy used what looked to be dryer vent hose to run to the front and go into the air cleaner. Then he had the pieces from a ram air car on them. Kim

Last edited:
Isn’t that a company called “Ram Air” or something like that. That’s there main selling item. A factory looking air cleaner with a single or dual snorkel that has those “Dryer tubes” (LMAO!) in the kit.

Isn’t that a company called “Ram Air” or something like that. That’s there main selling item. A factory looking air cleaner with a single or dual snorkel that has those “Dryer tubes” (LMAO!) in the kit.
I don't know about a " dryer vent" gaining any power. Standard dryer vent is 4 in. A 4" circle only has 12.5 or so cubic inches. If a recall correctly reading my MP book in the early 90s. You need 30" cubed for a hood scoop to work. Measuring the Dual snorkel scoop looks like that would be right about their I'm thinking sealing them to the bottom of the hood with the homemade deal since mother Mopar never made it would be the best bet

@Ironracer I don’t know who you but so far I only commented on what a company offers and NOT what is OK to use on an engine as far as any tubing goes and what size it should have. Not even if it was advantageous over a scoop.

Since the mention was in reply to someone else’s mention of this device, I only answered and questioned in the same reply.

The device in question is normally seen with two vent tubes that help bring in cool air from down low which would (and should) be a power gain over the engine ingesting hot under hood air.

Stop assuming

@Ironracer I don’t know who you but so far I only commented on what a company offers and NOT what is OK to use on an engine as far as any tubing goes and what size it should have. Not even if it was advantageous over a scoop.

Since the mention was in reply to someone else’s mention of this device, I only answered and questioned in the same reply.

The device in question is normally seen with two vent tubes that help bring in cool air from down low which would (and should) be a power gain over the engine ingesting hot under hood air.

Stop assuming
I wasn't assuming anything. Sorry if I came across as an asshole. There was no personal attack on you or y our post. Nor Oldkimmer! Him and Propwash, helped me get my 66 Satellite straightened out on FBBO, apologies. Y'all are all great!

Last edited:
Parts used:

4"x14" Summit air filter
Summit Racing SUM-239144 Summit Racing® Reusable Air Filter Elements | Summit Racing
14" top filter
Summit Racing SUM-239500 Summit Racing® Powerlid Air Filter Assembly Tops | Summit Racing

Since this thread is back up I'll update a change I made.
I added an additional 1" spacer and needed to change the seal around the cake pan to get the hood to close. Instead of reusing the rubber seal I installed 3" foam glued on the pan with weatherstrip adhesive. The seal to the hood was so good the crankcase was getting pressurized at high speed and pushing oil up the distributor shaft making a mess. I removed the hose from the valve cover vent and left it open. No more oil flooding the distributor and proof that a sealed hood is shoving air into the motor at speed.

000_0266.JPG

IMG_0299.jpg

Don't laugh, I run a dryer tube system and back to back runs at the track, With / without, it is worth 2 tenths and 2 MPH,

I am not laughing at that proven gain, that for sure.
I like the idea of being in cooler air instead of under hood hot air.

The Fox body Mustang guys had a system that added a long wide air inlet under the front fascia back in the day. They claimed similar gains.

Cool air in, anyway you do it is a smart move.

Just thought I'd add a pic of my cake pan air intake contraption. Inspired by this thread, I used a 12 x 14 sheet pan. I need to attach the moroso foam yet, so this is at a mock up stage. This will seal up to a Six Pack hood on a 71 Demon drag car.

20220903_201700.jpg
20220903_201645.jpg
20220903_202034.jpg

received_7921478981227276.jpeg

Last edited:
-
Back