Demon and Dart Sport Scoop Location

-

7demon2

Registered User #1824
Reaction score
this thread will help answer some common questions reguarding this dual scoop. this is a factory scoop. the measurements are taken from my car. it is a factory scoop installed by ma mopar. first the pictures of what scoop we are talking about....these scoops came on 1972 demons and 73 dart sports only! many people man say differently about their car, but these factory installed scoops were never available for the duster or 74, 75, or 76 dart sport. if it has one, it then it was added later plain and simple. remember these cars were being sold as economy cars so chrysler was toneing down the performance image....

scoops.jpg

now that we know what type of scoop we are talking about i will proceed. the following pictures will address the questions reguarding water drainage. these scoops as you can see have holes in the hood for air intake. if your car does not have holes like these or in these locations then it is not originaly a car that came with these scoops.. you will see the donut gaskets both from underneath and inside the scoop. you will see the weep holes that allow water to drain out from underneath the scoop as well. there was no other gasket or weather strip involved under these scoops.

feft scoop throat.JPG

right weephole.JPG

lastly the actual measurements for these scoops. again this is a factory scoop that was installed by ma mopar. hope it helps..

rear perspective.JPG

rear closeup.JPG

side.JPG

underneath.JPG

Very nicely detailed info, thank you for posting it. I just wish someone would do the same for the 68 hemi SS scoop. I just need the measurements from a SS hood to mount mine.

Cool.

My car will get one eventually (even though it's a '75). The long hood, and extra nose just looks a bit too long.

Thanks for the info! Great write-up, however, I think you are wrong about this scoop not being an option for Dusters. 72 and 73 Dusters DID have this scoop as a factory option. Although, I don't think it was functional with the holes in the hood.

danmc77 said:
Thanks for the info! Great write-up, however, I think you are wrong about this scoop not being an option for Dusters. 72 and 73 Dusters DID have this scoop as a factory option. Although, I don't think it was functional with the holes in the hood.

i have spent months looking for correct information reguarding this fact and others. i have read and seen nothing to support this. the information i have uncovered is 100% correct from dealer brochures and factory pictures, writeups, and original owners of dusters. the 72-73 dusters do not even list an option code for this scoop. the twister was the only duster package that had a scoop of any kind. see the pictoral history of the duster, demon and dart sports thread i did.......

Hey..... I added the factory correct hood scoop to my original paint 73 Dart Sport.It's really added alot to the look of the car. I haven't cut the two holes out yet, I want to make sure I know exactly where they go. I also added the fender turn signals to my car.... check out the link to see the before and after.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/818614

Bryan......

Have someone search the partscatalog? If it was availible it should be on chapter 15, hood.

Good luck!

7demon2:

Thanks for the information on the a-body hood scoop. I think there is one error in your analysis. I am almost certain the donut hole air intakes did not come stock with the snorkel scoop. Rather, they were used with the separate dual scoops found on '71 a-bodies. The snorkel scoop was cosmetic only. I installed a factory-supplied OEM snorkel scoop and matching stripe kit on my '73 Dart Sport 340 in 1976. Since the car was only three years old at the time, I had my local Dodge Dealer handle the installation. This scoop and stripe, while not original to my particular vehicle, is factory-correct for the '73 Dart Sport and was offered as an option for it.

I'd be curious to see any documentation you have indicating the holes were a factory option with the snorkel scoop in either '72 or '73.

BTW: you have a great looking Demon!

7demon2 - Thanks for your informative article. I agree that this was only a 72 demon and 73 dart sport option only. Could you post the dimensions for the position and diameter of the large holes in the hood. Tatwould be very helpful to me.

Mine was an aftermarket scoop. i just put it on the hood to
where it looked good and drilled the holes. A real big one for
the air cleamer. Looks close to factory for me. But I wasn't
going for factory correct.

000_0072.jpg

7demon2:

Thanks for the information on the a-body hood scoop. I think there is one error in your analysis. I am almost certain the donut hole air intakes did not come stock with the snorkel scoop. Rather, they were used with the separate dual scoops found on '71 a-bodies. The snorkel scoop was cosmetic only. I installed a factory-supplied OEM snorkel scoop and matching stripe kit on my '73 Dart Sport 340 in 1976. Since the car was only three years old at the time, I had my local Dodge Dealer handle the installation. This scoop and stripe, while not original to my particular vehicle, is factory-correct for the '73 Dart Sport and was offered as an option for it.

I'd be curious to see any documentation you have indicating the holes were a factory option with the snorkel scoop in either '72 or '73.

BTW: you have a great looking Demon!

first off thanks for the comments, and compliments!
second off as far as the holes go.....you must remember here that the hood for a 72 demon will also fit a 71 demon and a 70 dart. true in fact the 1970 dart 340 ,and the 71 demon 340 as well has the 2 dual scoops. the holes were originally meant for these hoods. there was originally intended to be some sort of fresh ram air package for the a-bodies that never happened. the goverment pretty much ground that to a halt. however chrysler did in fact leave the holes there for the customer to do with as they saw fit. that being said they kept the holes for the 72 demon as well as the 73 dart sport 340's. this was their last little performance stab. really if you get down to it the holes and the mounting holes for both the snorkel scoop and the 2 dual scoops can be seen in the picture above if you look closely. chrysler didn't change much if it could same them money. even hoods that never had scoops if you look at the braceing and the extra holes drilled in them. you can see the places to drill to mount both style scoops. also on these same flat hoods you can see a half moon cut out on the braceing in the center of the hood. this is the factory location for the large holes to be added. i will have to look to see if i have the factory information you asked about. i do not post information that i feel is not 100% correct. i will dig something up to back it up.

7demon2 - Thanks for your informative article. I agree that this was only a 72 demon and 73 dart sport option only. Could you post the dimensions for the position and diameter of the large holes in the hood. Tatwould be very helpful to me.

i will try to shoot some more pictures as well as get the measurements tomorrow.....stay tuned!

Hey Guys,

This is what we are looking for the Duster,Awsome looking pics and great info,BRIAN where did you get your aftermarket scoop from.Also Bryces engine sticks up out of engine compartment about 1 1/2" .Will this scoop work with his set-up? Edelbrock intake,750 carb,Mopar Performance air cleaner

Thanks,Bob

ok here is a bit of a followup......first off the first picture is from a 71 dart swinger. it has no scoop what so ever and it stock original. in the picture you can see the factory has left some cutouts shown in the picture with red x's. these cutouts in the braceing is where the 4 inch air holes need to be placed for the 2 dual scoops found on swinger 340's. i outlined the image in purple of a scoop on the onderside of the hood to show what it looks like........

71 hood.JPG

ok in the next picture you can see the 72 demon 340 hood on my car. it is also stock original. in the picture you will see the same cut outs outlined in yellow as on the 71 swinger hood. the same holes are there for mounting as well. the air holes for the demon's dual snorkel scoop are located more in the middle of the hood as shown with red x's. the measurement and placement for the holes are measured from the corner of the brace over 5 inches centered. the hole is again 4 inches in diameter. as you can see ma mopar reused the same hoods for both of these cars and just changed the scoops and relocated the holes for the fresh air......

72 hood.JPG

7demon2:

Thanks for the update. I am puzzled by one thing: I do not think the locations for the clean air holes are in the same location with the snorkel scoop as the dual scoops. Thus, I'm not sure that the factory ever really had this interchangeability in mind. Even though it's POSSIBLE to mount the clean air holes with the snorkel scoop, and the space is available to do so (as your car, and mine, demonstrate), I have seen no evidence that proves any 72 or 73 Demon/Dart Sport ever came from the factory with the holes already in place and with the scoop already mounted over them. I was heavily into a-bodies back in the mid-70s, and cannot recall seeing one (a legit, factory-original car, that is) matching this description. I'd be curious to see evidence that proves otherwise.

Further, was the fresh air package ever documented on the broadcast sheet or fender tag of the 72 or 73 a-bodies? I know the factory documentation provides a number for "Performance Hood Package," but this number does not specify the ram air holes, per se. I've always interpreted this option code to mean the scoop and matching stripe only.

I do hope you're right, and I'm wrong, because it would be cool to know the ram air feature was, indeed, a true option on the 72s and 73s. I must say, however, that I'm doubtful this was the case.

Thanks for checking into this matter!

7demon2:

Thanks for posting the latest photos. I did not see them before posting my most recent message. A couple of observations:

- On the 71 Swinger hood, the locations for the clean air holes are accompanied by small cut outs in the hood support structure to provide extra room for the holes. This is not the case on the 72 hood where the holes are installed below the snorkel scoop. Again, that makes me wonder if the clean air holes were ever really intended for use with the snorkel scoop on the later models.

- As I mentioned in my earlier message, the scoop and stripe on my 73 Dart Sport 340 were added by a Dodge Dealer in 1976. Both the scoop and stripe kit were original, OEM Mopar products purchased from the dealer's own parts department. While the scoop/stripe were not originally installed on my car at the factory, they were a standard option for this model and year.

- Are you the original owner of your 72 Demon, and can you account for the clean air holes being installed on the car from the time it arrived at the original dealer? In many cases, these performance add-ons were installed at the dealership prior to sale to the customer -- but were not factory installed.

- I guess we need a definitive factory description of the "Performance Hood Package" offered on 72 and 73 Demon/Dart 340s to be sure the clean air holes were part of the package -- and not just the scoop and stripe kit.

It sounds like you've got some factory literature that might help answer these questions. Thanks again!

has any one cut out the entire center section out instead of just the holes. Not going for stock appearance! More air flow. Jared

-
Back