Demon and Dart Sport Scoop Location

-
SWEET Demon!

Here is a 1972 Dodge Demon (sizzler?) hood I bought in 2006 for $300.00.
All I wanted the MINT dual snorkel it had.
The hood is an original Yellow colored scooped hood and has the "fresh air" holes and gaskets. Just yesterday ( 11-1-2008 ) I removed the snokel scoop and installed it on my Duster.
Not sure If I want to sell the hood with seals yet.

p1010733nq4.jpg

p1010739ru4.jpg

I have also seen two original 1973-74 scooped hoods that have had the factory "fresh air" holes with the seals.
Both hoods were at swap meets.
The nicer hood (still factory red paint) had a rusted section of bracing by the hood hinge area and was $100.00 without a scoop. Last year was the first time I have seen this perticular hood. I decided to pass as I didn't want to repair the hood.
The other hood has been sittting for a long, long time and had plenty of surface rust. It included the hood which is nice solid and straight with "fresh air" holes and seals and a mint scoop for $450.00. I have seen this hood for the past 5 or so years so maybe I'll pick it up if the guy is willing to let it go a little more reasonable. Surely by now he realizes nobody else is going to buy it.

The "fresh air" holes and seals/gaskets/doughnuts had to be a factory option. There are too many out there that are cut perfectly round and in the same spot.

I have been searching thru my magazine collection for this picture since this thread started. Here it is from the Resto Topics in Mopar Action from February 1998.
I hope this clears up all doubts about the J54 Sport Hood and the donut baffles. As a side benefit, it also shows the V21 Tape Treatment Decal as well.

PC230607.jpg

I Salvaged A 1973 340 Dart Sport In 1978. It Had Been Hit In The Front. It Had The Factory Scoop & The Two Open Holes Under It With The Grommets. I Installed The Scoop On A 1969 Dart. Also, I Purchased A 1973 Duster Twister, It Had The Two Small Scoops At The Rear Of The Hood, They Looked Like The Ones Used On The 1969 Cudas. I Checked With My Dodge Parts Guy On The Part Numbers, He Told Me They Were Date Coded To 1969. Someone Had Mentioned That If The Scoop Snorkels Were Open & The Hood Had No Holes, That It Would Catch Air. There Might Be Something To That, These Little Scoops On The Duster Were Closed Off, As They Had No Way To Exit Air From Them.

Also, I Purchased A 1973 Duster Twister, It Had The Two Small Scoops At The Rear Of The Hood, They Looked Like The Ones Used On The 1969 Cudas.

Been lurking on this thread for a while, and I can finally contribute something. Below is a scan from a dealer brochure, showing the little scoops you referred to.

08.jpg

Been lurking on this thread for a while, and I can finally contribute something. Below is a scan from a dealer brochure, showing the little scoops you referred to.

COOL BEANS! You don't see many 1973 Duster Twisters around. I have only seen the one that I ended up with in my area.

COOL BEANS! You don't see many 1973 Duster Twisters around. I have only seen the one that I ended up with in my area.

I don't think I've ever seen one, and have seen only a couple of the earlier twisters.

I don't think I've ever seen one, and have seen only a couple of the earlier twisters.

The one I ended up with, had been in the Tulsa area for years. I seen it on a coulpe of carlots over the years. The kid that bought it, put a 340 in it & I sold him a complete 8 3/4 rear for it. he hotrodded it for a few years. The way I got it was, it had been involved in a wind storm & a tree fell on the roof & deck lid. he was broke & the city wanted it moved. I bought it from him for $500.00. I parted it out & the 8 3/4 went into the car I have now. I sold the hood for $400.00.

I seen that ad another forum. Pretty neat.

I bought a 1973 Dodge Dart Sport a couple years ago with those scoops bolted to the hood. I doubt they were factory, however I paid $50.00 for the running driving car & sold the scoops on eBay for $250.00.
That car also had an original white bucket seat interior and was a sunroof car (convertriple). It was a slant six three speed floor shift car, Red body with the white side/roof stripe.
That car helped assembled three of my A-bodies and still made me a few bucks!

I'm wanting to add the Dual Snorkle Scoop to my car also. I think they look great on a A-body Mopar.

My uncle had one that was Lemon Twist yellow. He sold it in the early 80's. I've been trying to find it to restore it. He saw it a couple of years ago sitting in the peoples front yard but now they have moved. I was a young boy when he had that car and I still remember alot about it.
2913356_53_full.jpg

Yes they are. Unfortunately that is the only picture ever taken of his car. That car is what got me hooked on Mopar's and for me getting one of my own.

this thread will help answer some common questions reguarding this dual scoop. this is a factory scoop. the measurements are taken from my car. it is a factory scoop installed by ma mopar. first the pictures of what scoop we are talking about....these scoops came on 1972 demons and 73 dart sports only! many people man say differently about their car, but these factory installed scoops were never available for the duster or 74, 75, or 76 dart sport. if it has one, it then it was added later plain and simple. remember these cars were being sold as economy cars so chrysler was toneing down the performance image....

I have a friend who bought his '74 Dart Sport 360 WITH DUAL SCOOP brand new off the White Bear Lake Dodge lot in early winter 1974. He traded a volkswagon beetle with bad heat for it, and he was looking at TWO identical cars, WITH dual scoops. One green with manual steering...one yellow with power. He bought the yellow, power steering car. HE STILL OWNS THE CAR, and anyone who goes to the north St.Paul cruise night sees it on a near weekly basis. The car is 100% original survivor. Lots of '74s came with tht scoop. Looks good too.

I am another owner of a 72 Demon that came with the hood with the snorkle scoop and the 2 holes. Unfortunately I totaled that one and I built the one I have now to resemble the first one. I have never seen a Sport newer than a 74 with an original scoop either. I have seen some Dusters that had the scoop put on as a dealer option though on 72's and 73's.

Jack

hopefully this is the final word. well today as i had said about 2 years ago i finally got to pin galen govier down to ask him about the holes in the hood on the 72-74 model demons and dart sports. i saw him at this years mopar madness show in va. he wasn't there last year so i couldn't ask until today. he verified to me that the factory put the holes in the hoods. the 71-74 model demons and dart sports all would have had the 4 inch holes from the factory if ordered with the factory hood scoop (j-54).

I am the owner of a 1973 Dart Sport 340.My hood has no scoop no holes.I have a spare hood which I am mounting the factory snorkle hood scoop.I will be opening up the hood for air induction.I was lucky to pick up the factory scoop at Moparfest this past summer($250.00)I sent the Year-one scoop back that I purchased.The fit was terrible and was made for 71-72 Demon-Dart.Thanks for info. and measurements it will be helpful.

Be careful about purchasing a hood scoop. There are repos out there that are smaller than the originals. The one i saw was terrible in quality so if you buy one on e-bay make sure that the bottoms are held on with 6 screws. The repos are one piece and have the bottoms molded in. Also look for the part # on the main body of the scoop.

hopefully this is the final word. well today as i had said about 2 years ago i finally got to pin galen govier down to ask him about the holes in the hood on the 72-74 model demons and dart sports. i saw him at this years mopar madness show in va. he wasn't there last year so i couldn't ask until today. he verified to me that the factory put the holes in the hoods. the 71-74 model demons and dart sports all would have had the 4 inch holes from the factory if ordered with the factory hood scoop (j-54).

Sorry to prolong this but just for everyone's sake, the holes were 4 1/4" and are the same as the 1970 Swinger 340's. They all use the same rubber seal.

first off thanks for the comments, and compliments!
second off as far as the holes go.....you must remember here that the hood for a 72 demon will also fit a 71 demon and a 70 dart. true in fact the 1970 dart 340 ,and the 71 demon 340 as well has the 2 dual scoops. the holes were originally meant for these hoods. there was originally intended to be some sort of fresh ram air package for the a-bodies that never happened. the goverment pretty much ground that to a halt. however chrysler did in fact leave the holes there for the customer to do with as they saw fit. that being said they kept the holes for the 72 demon as well as the 73 dart sport 340's. this was their last little performance stab. really if you get down to it the holes and the mounting holes for both the snorkel scoop and the 2 dual scoops can be seen in the picture above if you look closely. chrysler didn't change much if it could same them money. even hoods that never had scoops if you look at the braceing and the extra holes drilled in them. you can see the places to drill to mount both style scoops. also on these same flat hoods you can see a half moon cut out on the braceing in the center of the hood. this is the factory location for the large holes to be added. i will have to look to see if i have the factory information you asked about. i do not post information that i feel is not 100% correct. i will dig something up to back it up.

Years ago I saw a beautiful Plymouth Scamp for sale on E-bay that was running a fresh air set-up from a Coronet RT/Super Bee. Although he had the dual scoops from the 1970 Swinger 340's I'm sure something similar could be done for the snorkle scooped hoods. Maybe one from a 1970 GTX/Road Runner with the air grabber hood? He had a big block with the matching fresh-air air cleaner. Sure looked like a factory installed but know that it wasn't. Maybe the factory intended this to be an option. Always thought about trying a set-up like this on my 1970 340 Swinger but they didn't make repos then and originals were made of GOLD. I sure would like to see someone try something like this.

I have an original twin scoop and hood with the sizzler style stripes from a 72 Demon 340. They came off a GSS Demon. The hood and scoop are in the original finish so if anyone REALLY needs to know anything let me know. The hood is buried in storage but I can get to it eventually.

ok i have now added some more information on here. many of you were looking for more measurements, placements, ect...for 73 and up scoops on the raised center hoods like for a duster or dart sport. well i now have some more inforamtion reguarding these hoods. i took these measurements form my sons 73 dart sport 340. it is a factory hood scoop car. the scoop was taken off to repair a crack so i figured now was the time to break out the camera and tape line. these measurements again are from a 73-76 dart hood. i would imagine these would be good also for a 73-76 duster as well but don't hold me to it! what i did was took measurements from the left side only. this is done for time and because you can take the same measurements and switch them to the right side just as easily. as many before have said this is a simple guide. a template should be made from the scoop and the dimensions transfered to the hood for better understanding and placement.

ok the first couple of shots are showing the hood in question. a 1973 dart sport hood. it is a full shot. the next shot is for reference and the last is the first hole starting from the bottom center of the scoop measured from the bottom edge of the hood. the last is the same hole measured from the left edge of the hood to the center. i call it hole #1

DSC02239.JPG

DSC02241.JPG

DSC02242.JPG

DSC02240.JPG

next we have hole #2. the first picture is showing the hole in question. the next is measured form the left edge of hood again to the center of the hood. this is followed by the hole measured from the bottom edge to the center. i again call this hole# 2.

DSC02243.JPG

DSC02244.JPG

DSC02245.JPG

next we have hole #3. the fist picture again refrences the hole in question. the next picture shows the measurement to the hole from the left edge of the hood to the center of the hole. the last picture shows the measurement from top edge of the hood to the center of the hole. again this is hole # 3

DSC02246.JPG

DSC02247.JPG

DSC02248.JPG

-
Back