dumb question

-

famous bob

mopar misfit
Reaction score
I have a question for you automotive electricians. I have a ford relay on the pass. side firewall about where the heater motor was. I`m getting worried now that I`ve about got the fish finished, about not having a neutral starter switch. The reason I used the ford relay was, (1) the welding cable was given to me, and that's as far as it would reach, w/ the battery in the pass. side of the trunk. (2) simplicity for a non automotive electrician. I rewired the whole car w/ an EZ wiring kit, and there is a lot of stuff wired to the relay, w/ fuel inj., and an MSD ign. So, my question is this: can I insulate the ford relay and wire the neutral starter wire to the base of it and make it work ? I don`t want to start changing the wiring to go back to a Chrysler relay. thanks for all opinions. sorry about long post !-------bob

If you run the neutral safety switch to the primary of the Ford relay everything will shut off when you are not in neutral. The car will stall when you put it in drive. It needs to be wired to the starter relay on the drivers side fender.

Over my lifetime of cars, trucks and all kinds of vehicles I don't think I have ever ONCE not put what I was driving in park when I parked.
If you are in the habit of using the E brake makes it even better.

On the flip side my Sis in Law has come out to find her car at the bottom of a big hill out in the field at the ranch multiple times, and called us multiple times because her car wouldn't start (It was not in park) because she doesn't do either one a lot of times.
I never could understand that.

Over my lifetime of cars, trucks and all kinds of vehicles I don't think I have ever ONCE not put what I was driving in park when I parked.
If you are in the habit of using the E brake makes it even better.

On the flip side my Sis in Law has come out to find her car at the bottom of a big hill out in the field at the ranch multiple times, and called us multiple times because her car wouldn't start (It was not in park) because she doesn't do either one a lot of times.
I never could understand that.
I was talking about using the nss for a ground if I un grounded the ford relay which has to be grounded thru the bolts to work. their is no strarter relay on the drivers side fender, using the ford relay for that .

Sounds like it would work to me.
So basically you are thinking to make it where the engine won't crank because the relay isn't grounded and can't activate.

Sounds like it would work to me.
So basically you are thinking to make it where the engine won't crank because the relay isn't grounded and can't activate.
prezactly ! trouble is , my battery died (I think, HOPE THAT`S ALL IT IS. IT`S BEEN RUNNING "ALTHO NOT TUNED OUT" FOR ABOUT 8-9 MONTHS. SET FOR A WHILE, WENT TO THE BODY SHOP FOR THE SUMMER, ETC. battery is only a yr old tho. PISSED !!!!!!!! never mind the caps------bob

Could you use another separate cheaper relay for the NSS. That's what I did. I wired it to the ignition circuit. That was 17 years ago, so I don't recall the how of it
FWIW
those Ford-type relays are available with an isolated ground.

Last edited:
prezactly ! trouble is , my battery died (I think, HOPE THAT`S ALL IT IS. IT`S BEEN RUNNING "ALTHO NOT TUNED OUT" FOR ABOUT 8-9 MONTHS. SET FOR A WHILE, WENT TO THE BODY SHOP FOR THE SUMMER, ETC. battery is only a yr old tho. PISSED !!!!!!!! never mind the caps------bob

That is a long time to go unused especially if it was hooked up in the car, but just put it on a long slow charge and it could very well be fine.

Could you use another separate cheaper relay for the NSS. That's what I did. I wired it to the ignition circuit. That was 17 years ago, so I don't recall the how of it
FWIW
those Ford-type relays are available with an isolated ground.

Yes they do, I forgot about that.

That is a long time to go unused especially if it was hooked up in the car, but just put it on a long slow charge and it could very well be fine.

Yes they do, I forgot about that.
even more pissed" baterey is good, thinking I messed the ford relay up, or the starter is going bad. pulling the starter is going to be a *****!! have been looking for a"supposed AMC relay that looks like a ford relay but has 5 postes. can`t find one.

-
Back