Dumb question....

-

1995dak

Reaction score
So I am trying to order the super stock springs for my Duster. I have called Mancini Racing and asked them about part #MOPP3412002/2003. In the description they say they fit 1968 Hemi super stock A body. The guy at Mancini said "he is not really an old car guy" but looking at the description they should work. I was under the impression that all A bodys used the same springs. Is there something different about 68? It seems like it may just be a misleading part description but I would like to make sure before ordering them. Thanks in advance.

They are copies of the original springs used on the '68 superstock Hemi A-Body program. There may have been other springs offered by Mopar performance in the past for lightweight and manual transmission usage but I believe the new S/S springs have been re-tuned to a wider range of applications. One size fits all, will bolt into any A-Body.

Last edited:
passenger cars use the same numbered springs on each side...the 002/003 have a different spring rate from each other for drag racing purposes...this usually ends up in disappointment to the purchaser as the right side is stiffer and will cause the car to sit uneven...hope this helps...

002/003 springs have a different spring stack and are designed so the right rear makes your car sit higher. when you launch the car and the torque twist your chassis it plants both rears equally. For drag racing this is what you want, for a street car that you want to sit level, most will buy two of the same number. Either two 002's or two 003's

What ever happened to parts guys that actually knows something. You would think someone at Mancini should know their stuff.

002/003 springs have a different spring stack and are designed so the right rear makes your car sit higher. when you launch the car and the torque twist your chassis it plants both rears equally. For drag racing this is what you want, for a street car that you want to sit level, most will buy two of the same number. Either two 002's or two 003's

Ah, got it. Thanks to all. I'm going to go with two 003's.

So I am trying to order the super stock springs for my Duster. I have called Mancini Racing and asked them about part #MOPP3412002/2003. In the description they say they fit 1968 Hemi super stock A body. The guy at Mancini said "he is not really an old car guy" but looking at the description they should work. I was under the impression that all A bodys used the same springs. Is there something different about 68? It seems like it may just be a misleading part description but I would like to make sure before ordering them. Thanks in advance.
1968 is when Chrysler produced the superstock Barracuda ( well Hurst did) with the Hemi. So technically that part number is married to that car.

passenger cars use the same numbered springs on each side...the 002/003 have a different spring rate from each other for drag racing purposes...this usually ends up in disappointment to the purchaser as the right side is stiffer and will cause the car to sit uneven...hope this helps...
I don't know why, but my '69 GTS sits dead level front and back, and I used the 002/003 combination. I rebuilt the front end too, and had to do an alignment after, including the torsion bar adjustments to get everything back in spec. Perhaps an adjustment there can level the whole car out? Like I said, I really don't know how it is that my car sits level all around. Of course those springs also raise the back of the car a little, to give it a slight rake.

I don't know why, but my '69 GTS sits dead level front and back, and I used the 002/003 combination. I rebuilt the front end too, and had to do an alignment after, including the torsion bar adjustments to get everything back in spec. Perhaps an adjustment there can level the whole car out? Like I said, I really don't know how it is that my car sits level all around. Of course those springs also raise the back of the car a little, to give it a slight rake.
Nice...glad it worked out for you...yes you can usually balance it out with more preload in front left t bar, using battery for ballast etc...

Nice...glad it worked out for you...yes you can usually balance it out with more preload in front left t bar, using battery for ballast etc...
But it affects what the spring was for.
On 4 corner scales, loading the torsion bars more or less affects the cross weight or rear loading at stationary postion... like the when leaving the line.

But it affects what the spring was for.
On 4 corner scales, loading the torsion bars more or less affects the cross weight or rear loading at stationary postion... like the when leaving the line.
Well, it's not a race car, and to tell you the truth I didn't know any better 13 years ago when I did all that work! Alignment guy must have "fixed" it for me with the torsion bars.

-
Back