Duped

-

amcervantes

Reaction score
Ok here is my story and Im looking for feedback before I go and sell this car for parts only. I have done my research and found out that the car I have is a 73 duster. I bough this car about year ago from a guy on craigslist. I was new to mopars and what to look for regarding the vin.the title stated it was a 76 and thats what the guy listed it as. The car came as a rolling chassis from what looks like it was in the process of becoming a drag car. I started my project and was going towards starting a demon tribute car. The car had no dash and the vin on the title matched the radiator support and door.But after further inspection it did not match the package tray that number came back as a 73. I also noticed that the rear bumper was a 73 and not a 76. It did not have the crash shocks in it. I could not find any other vins on the car anywhere else. I never really noticed it till recently and im pretty well into the build. Build is as follows so far
fully rebuild front suspension
new kyp shocks
New amd Inner fender to cowl braces
big bolt installed
re installed cclip with new inner fenders
filled sanded primed and painted engine bay
Just suspension torsion bars installed
72 dart fenders installed
painted and installed 72 dash
bought aftermarket wheel tubs
bought sherman lower quarter panels
bought amd demon rear tail panel
goodmark trunk pan
amd trunk extensions
installed 8 3/4 rear
custom exhaust
ss leaf springs
freshed up efi 318 with megasquirt and a 904
has weld racing rims
cutout roll cage
dougs headers installed
engine has been freshened up and repainted
new intake filter
new/used front and back windows.
6 pack fiberglass hood
not to include all the parts i have aquired through the year which is more than im goin to list.
i basically have everything for this car to be put back together aside from a shortened drive shaft and shifter with cable.
Since the finding has just recently come to light. I feel like ive been suckered big time and have this sickening feeling in my stomach. As of right now im torn between selling the car for parts only as a whole for less then ive spent in it or completing it and never being able to sell it if i ever wanted to. I would just part it out but i dont have the time to do that with my work schedule the way it is. Ive been to the dmv and they told me i could file for a abandoned car but it would be 30 days to be able to hear back from the previous owners and after that I would then have to put the car up for auction if it doesnt sell in another 30 days I have the option to title it then or crush it. I dont want it to be auctioned and loose time and money into it.I went to the guys house but he no longer lives there and cant even remember what his name was. Whats your guys take I feel caught between a rock and a hard place and need some opinions. Whatever the general opinion is im goin to go that direction.

I don't understand what the problem is. If you have a Title and a VIN tag that matches it, just register the car as whatever those numbers say it is.

This car was obviously a rebody. The door and c clip came from another car. I had thought the person tried to but new inner fenders in and did a bad spot welding and burned holes through it but the radiator support was also changed due to all the burn through. They also made their own fender to cowl support out of thin sheet metal and everything was screwed together like they were getting ready to weld it in. There is no dash vin car came without dash. I guess clone would be a better word? I have all the 72 stuff to get it there.

So let me get this straight -you bought the with no dash -meaning there was no metal dash frame with the VIN# attached to it? There was no sticker on the drivers door showing the VIN# that matched your title? -Not to sound like a smart *** but why would you buy a car without any VIN tag? The radiator support and package tray don't mean a hill of beans, you need the (Black VIN plate that goes on the DASH with rosette rivets)

So let me get this straight -you bought the with no dash -meaning there was no metal dash frame with the VIN# attached to it? There was no sticker on the drivers door showing the VIN# that matched your title? -Not to sound like a smart *** but why would you buy a car without any VIN tag? The radiator support and package tray don't mean a hill of beans, you need the (Black VIN plate that goes on the DASH with rosette rivets)

well not trying to defend anything but the dash vin, even though that's what the drones in the gvt look at, is not proof of what a car is

Buy a parts car with title. Move dash over or install your parts on parts car. I've seen cheap Duster sell for under 1k.

Riddler

This should be a lesson to people to take care of the title work before spending
any money on the car. I am paranoid about this very situation, so I always do the paperwork first. Doing a Demon clone from a Duster is a bad idea anyway. A lot of people will not buy a car titled as one thing, but looks like another car.

Agree with Riddler. It is probably the least expensive route. Or go the DMV route and get it legal. There is a Marine on the forum that is a Lawyer that will hopefully chime in. He has given people good advice. Is there any one in your area that advertises getting titles they may also know how to help you out or point you to someone that can help you. This is how they make a living may cost some money!

You installed a 72 dash? With a vin tag on it? Sorry but you have a little bit of a mess. Usually the first step in buying a old car before you fall in love with it is asking the owner if he has a good title and it matches the tag. Then verify.

Demon tribute?

Seriously, If you're building a car to salute the demon,buy a damn demon, they ain't hard to find.

You're doing the exact same thing the guy that duped you did, and even if your intentions are well, the next person to own the car after you (I'm betting you weren't planning on being buried in it) might not be so ethical.

Next time get a demon 340 and build a /6 duster tribute car out of it, and I might give you a little credit.

Seriously, the "tribute car" concept is full of sh*t and dreamt up by people that are not familiar with Webster's dictionary. It's a clone, plain and simple. You got a dose of instant karma. I hope the guy that sold it to you did as well.

To some people it doesn't matter if the VIN matches the car body numbers or fender tag. Myself, I go by the rule that the correct VIN has to be with the correct body and fender tag regardless of what the car originally was. . Some people loose titles and just find a good title and VIN and run the car that way. That's fine and probably works, but is pretty "grey" when explaining what you really had or have. I recently passed on a nice car here that had a good title and VIN, but it didn't match what the car really was. Instead I picked up a 72 demon with a /6, matching vin and fender tag. It will always be titled/VIN as a slant six.

If i were to sell it it would be a plymouth duster plain and simple. the 72 dash was installed with vin tag removed. The vin did match the door sticker and core support at the time I did not know there was one on the package tray and could not find one on the drip rail. Before everyone gets there panties in a bunch I stated before I had no plans to sell the car if I want to clone MY car to make it look how I want then i have that right. I would never say its something its not. This is my first mopar. I was big into Grand nationals till I sold my last one. Never had so many people get all uptight about doing the things they want to their cars. Besides the fact of someone swapping out the turbo 6 for a BB. Im not looking for your personal opinion on how i build my car.

you might as well pull the 72 dash out, it has no tag LOL.. plus it is i THINK a federal offense to remove, tamper, deface a VIN Tag.

SO you knowingly bought a cut up pieced together race what did you expect?

The first thing I do after buying a car and sinking any money into it is get the title in my name

Is the title a Virginia title? If so cant you just go get it in your name? That way you can register the car and drive it all day. I think if you do that and sell it in state then there will be no issue...as long as you are up front with the buyer and tell them the situation

If the title is from out of state well then you have a problem.

But that is solved by riddler...

another craigslist love story

p.s. the car even complete isn't worth big "cash"

but to someone driving it they are great cars and a blast to drive and build

good luck

Some states it is legal to rebody a vehicle (I think Mass. is one of them). If that is the case, find out how to go about it legally. I think this can be done. It may be a hassel but most agencies are there to help. If you do this underhanded you could wind up in federal prison. Remember, titles have no legal standing other than to protect the seller and to act as a cash cow for the states

Thanks to all who gave opinions on my dilemma. Im just going to keep building it. As stated before im not in it for the money. Every car or truck that ive built ive never made money on any of them. I was just thinking ahead because i usually sell my cars for one reason or another after the build is done. sell one build to start another. Its a vicious cycle.

From a legal standpoint, as long as no theft is being investigated, the only parts of that car that exist from a Federal standpoint are the Title and VIN Tag. EVERY other component or section of car is open to being swapped and altered, so long as none of it can be traced via stamped number to a car currently on the National Hot Sheet. From a LEGAL standpoint, you can take the dash frame with the VIN attached from a 72 Dart, build a '59 Austin Heely around it, and it is completely legit...and that is regardless of anyone's personal feelings as to what is right or wrong.
As for the cloning part...I believe everyone here is getting hung up on the "clone" part. He's NOT cloning, he is CONVERTING, and not doing it in any way that is meant to deceive a potential buyer. I have a 72 Swinger that I used a 71 Grill in...does that mean a "cloned" a 71? No...I just used a grill that I happen to like better. He's doing the same thing, but on a larger scale. Go easy on the brother! He's new to all this.

From a legal standpoint, as long as no theft is being investigated, the only parts of that car that exist from a Federal standpoint are the Title and VIN Tag. EVERY other component or section of car is open to being swapped and altered, so long as none of it can be traced via stamped number to a car currently on the National Hot Sheet. From a LEGAL standpoint, you can take the dash frame with the VIN attached from a 72 Dart, build a '59 Austin Heely around it, and it is completely legit...and that is regardless of anyone's personal feelings as to what is right or wrong.
As for the cloning part...I believe everyone here is getting hung up on the "clone" part. He's NOT cloning, he is CONVERTING, and not doing it in any way that is meant to deceive a potential buyer. I have a 72 Swinger that I used a 71 Grill in...does that mean a "cloned" a 71? No...I just used a grill that I happen to like better. He's doing the same thing, but on a larger scale. Go easy on the brother! He's new to all this.

deserves repeating. Good luck with the car !

like they said, a for real, legal, decent duster or demon isn't hard to find OR expensive. I would use the craigslist cluster mess car for parts plain and simple.and lesson well learned.... this way, what you do spend will go towards something that could be sold ( if desire/need arose) without worry of jail time or someone lookin ya up later carrying a BIG stick?????

Why not title the car and build the damn thing the way you want. You already have it, you've put lots of time and money into it. Just complete it! If you want to build a demon, get the right parts and do so. AMD sells the rear tail lite panel. I don't think you'd have any problems selling it if it's well done and you're honest about what it is. Especially since you have the title. Just my .02.

So, if I'm understanding this correctly, you don't know if either of the two vin's on the car is legit. One or both could be hot. You now have public record of this. You now have public record of your denial to pursue the legal ownership and your choice to deny making sure that it's not a chopped car or any of the sort, before proceeding.

And you're going to carry on? And spend more $ on it?

This isn't really that wise. Just saying....

-
Back