Durable BB Water Pump? 74.

-

Rice Nuker

Let the Coal Roll!
Reaction score
What is the longest lasting brand (maybe a part number) of water pump for my 74 440 AC car?

I don't care about high volume or anything over a solid stock design.

Don't even care if it is aluminum or lead or iron. Just solid and long lasting.

Any suggestions?

Thanks much :)

I like the ones made by GMB,they last a long time and are good quality.

Unless you're looking for something specific, I've been pleased in the past with the AutoZone replacements...I know I'll probably be poo poo'd for that, but I've never had one fail inside of 10 years, and even if I did, they have a lifetime warranty. If money were no object I'd probably buy the Milodon (or edelbrock) one...but they won't replace it if the seals start to leak after a year...something to be aware of with high volume pumps, if your heater core is the least bit weak, they can pop the seams, or split heater hoses...but that's only my experience.

Are Napa or O'Reileys any better than Autozone? I have had some very wide range of quality in autozone from good to fail in a year.

This car is hell to get to the water pump so I dont want to do it for ten + years. I typically run 50/50 and change every 1- 2 years or 5k so that should help.

O'Reilly sells GMB I think...Napa might as well. I'm sorry you've had the **** end of the stick from AZ. I've had good performance from them...

I bought a Milodon standard flow last year that didn't even last 200 miles before spraying from the weep hole (stock '72 400). My Milodon high flow in my other car has lasted 12 years and 35,000+ miles (mild 440).

I have read that GMB is not good, now I am readin milidon is all over the place. There seems to be no consistency so far in this thread on reliability of a particular brand. I will keep waiting for more feedback. I am not starting (firing) this engine for a few weeks yet.

I have read that GMB is not good, now I am readin milidon is all over the place. There seems to be no consistency so far in this thread on reliability of a particular brand. I will keep waiting for more feedback. I am not starting (firing) this engine for a few weeks yet.

Exactly how much consistency are you looking for? You've only received a handful of replies. Is this thing going to be buried in a dump truck where you have to pull the cab or something? You can probably buy an over the counter lifetime warranty pump from napa or O'Reilly and be well served.

Hi Txs,

Yea this engine bay is a mother to take apart. I am doing a restoration on the engine bay with powdercoating, nickel plating, zinc plating of all the original parts. Re-dissasembly in a year or two due to a low grade pump will just mar up the fresh parts so I would like not to get back into it for some years to come.

Exactly how much consistency are you looking for? You've only received a handful of replies. Is this thing going to be buried in a dump truck where you have to pull the cab or something? You can probably buy an over the counter lifetime warranty pump from napa or O'Reilly and be well served.

Attachments

• IMG_3989.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_3997-2.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 165
I put one of those gmb? Pumps in my bb duster. 8-10,000 miles on it and it seems to be working good. Pretty cheap too.

...Re-dissasembly in a year or two due to a low grade pump will just mar up the fresh parts so I would like not to get back into it for some years to come.

Well, while I understand you have zero desire to pull apart half the front end of the engine from over the fender (understandably...looks like an *** pain), there's nothing saying that the money you spend won't let you down, nor the money you save will doom you. I'd personally just go with a new manufacture parts store pump with a lifetime warranty, unless you need something special like a polished piece.

Yes, I am going to just clean with toluene several times and paint the pump to match anyways, so finish is not important.

I got you on the "money does not buy happiness". I am a firm believer that a ten dollar part may very well be better than a 50 dollar one. Quality is not equal to money spent for sure but if money is spent wisely on new hardware it usually is in the top 60 - 75 % range of parts prices.

That's the reason for the thread, to gather experience from others. :) I appreciate the feedbacks and wisdom so far.

Just to be clear, I didnt mean that the info was not appreciated. Just that experiences for manufactures vary thus far. No offense intended :)

I just talked to the local Napa, they have new built GMB for 45 + tax.

-
Back