Durango headers?

-

racingsnake440

Reaction score
As it seems like the Durango manifolds fit the early As pretty easily I was wondering if anyone had tried Durango shorty headers? There are a bunch of them for sale on ebay that look like they may work but it's difficult to tell without having a set in front of you. Does anyone have any information?

Failing that, about how much should I pay for manifolds and does anyone have a good source for them? I've not seen any in the junkyards round here.

What engine, what year car?

For early abody, 63-66 with an LA engine;
The Durango manifolds Don't work with power steering,
and Also, Don't work for 3 speed on the tree.

The drivers side manifold for the 273 is made to fit,
but the passenger side almost any "318" manifold for a car will work,
as they are center dump.

The cheappy "hot rod" headers don't work
on the 63-66 either.

I built up a 318, for a replacment, for my tired 273.

I am using 273 manifolds, with dual exhaust,
fabbed by the local Midas. It starts at the factory size,
and goes up to 2 1/4" about a foot from the manifolds. :)

I had to use a copper exhaust header gasket on the drivers side,
to seal the manifold , on my car.

On the newer blocks, the drivers side 273 early exhaust manifold hits the block slightly, and this solved that for me.

Ebay sometimes has the 273 manifolds, sometimes they go cheap,
often not.

TTI has come out with some specific headers for the early car,
but they are not cheap, and have some caveats.

2465847 is the casting number you need, for 63-66 Abody, drivers side.

2549exhaust_manifold_10_0_2005_001-med.jpg

2549exhaust_manifold_10_0_2005_005-med.jpg

My '63 Dart has a 360 and 4 speed with manual steering.

I've got 273 manifolds already but I want something better as they're pretty restrictive and i can't afford $750 plus for Dougs or TTI headers.

One of the guys selling the headers on ebay has sent me some photos with measurements so I'll do some measuring on the car and see if it looks likely they could be made to work.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=10533

TBIAgent69 said:
I've been looking for an exhaust upgrade for a while for my 64 cuda, and finally settled on the durango manifold swap. I had a problem with the driver's side manifold dumping directly on to the starter, so I ended up using two passenger side manifolds and mounting one backwards on the driver's side.[/COLOR] Ghetto? Mabe, but it worked. My exhaust guy ended up putting dual exhausts with flow master 50 type mufflers, can't remember the name. The car sounds waaaaay better and has a lot more oomph to boot. Just wanted to let you guys that's a pretty easy, cheap way to do it. The only thing I did have to modify was lifting the motor about 1/4" with a spacer. I'll try to get pics if anyone is interested.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=10533

TBIAgent69 said:
I've been looking for an exhaust upgrade for a while for my 64 cuda, and finally settled on the durango manifold swap. I had a problem with the driver's side manifold dumping directly on to the starter, so I ended up using two passenger side manifolds and mounting one backwards on the driver's side. Ghetto? Mabe, but it worked. My exhaust guy ended up putting dual exhausts with flow master 50 type mufflers, can't remember the name. The car sounds waaaaay better and has a lot more oomph to boot. Just wanted to let you guys that's a pretty easy, cheap way to do it. The only thing I did have to modify was lifting the motor about 1/4" with a spacer. I'll try to get pics if anyone is interested.

-
Back