Duster 275/60/15

-

Dusten

Reaction score
I have 71 Duster with stock A body 8.75 rear end with small bolt pattern and springs in stock location. I am looking at getting 15x8 rallye wheels form wheel vintiques and putting 275/60r15 on them. The wheels only come in 4.625 back spacing though. They do custom back spacing at a price though $50 a rim. I have made the measurements and done the math it looks like 4.5 would be ideal back spacing. These are so close, just 1/8 inch more back spacing. The math says they will fit but will be close. Was wondering if anyone has real experience running the 275 tires with 4.625 back spacing?

Run a 1/8" spacer if needed as long as the wheel aren't hub centric.

I'm running the 15 x 8 rallye wheels on my 72 Duster with a 255/60/15 and I don't think you'll make the 275 work . As far as running a spacer it will help but you'll need to install longer axle studs to use them . I'm not running spacer and I'm still going to replace my studs this winter because there is only about a 1/2" of stud sticking out with these wheels .The picture posted is my right rear and its real close but I have never rubbed . The left side is a non issue .

MVIMG_20190426_162540.jpg

My 15x8.5 Centerline auto drags are about that backspacing. I have an a body width 8.75 converted to big bolt pattern. It is all on a 74 Duster. Fits about perfectly with a 275/60-15 MT drag radial. Worst case you may need a very skinny shim to center it with the 4.625s. That said, they all fit a bit differently.

Cley

I just put 275's on my duster yesterday . I will take pictures today of the car with them on. They are 8 inch factory wheels from wheels vintique.

Years back I had cragers with a 4.5 back space. The tires would touch the outer quarters but with a trim and rolled edge they worked fine.

I bought a 72 Duster with a 8 inch wheel in the trunk. When I measures the back space it was 4.25. I tried it and it fit with a 275. I had to special order one from summit.

I have them here with 275 60's and installed the factory width rear in the car yesterday . I was going to take pictures to post them on my Thread. "Finally paint" but the camera batteries were dead . I will take some pictures today for that thread. They fit and not even close to the wheel house and the car sits low. Go to that thread later when I post pictures. The leaf spring clearance is tight but that spacing never changes with cornering. Only the inner and outer wheel house do. I am going to check the inner wheel house. But if that is close it is a smooth surface compared to the outer sharp edge.

Check the thread I believe there are some pictures of the rear with them on but not installed in the car yet.

Finally paint.

What was the back spacing on
I just put 275's on my duster yesterday . I will take pictures today of the car with them on. They are 8 inch factory wheels from wheels vintique.

Years back I had cragers with a 4.5 back space. The tires would touch the outer quarters but with a trim and rolled edge they worked fine.

I bought a 72 Duster with a 8 inch wheel in the trunk. When I measures the back space it was 4.25. I tried it and it fit with a 275. I had to special order one from summit.

I have them here with 275 60's and installed the factory width rear in the car yesterday . I was going to take pictures to post them on my Thread. "Finally paint" but the camera batteries were dead . I will take some pictures today for that thread. They fit and not even close to the wheel house and the car sits low. Go to that thread later when I post pictures. The leaf spring clearance is tight but that spacing never changes with cornering. Only the inner and outer wheel house do. I am going to check the inner wheel house. But if that is close it is a smooth surface compared to the outer sharp edge.

Check the thread I believe there are some pictures of the rear with them on but not installed in the car yet.

Finally paint.
what was the back spacing in the new wheels you just got from wheel vintique?

Your 275's are no closer than my 255's . now I need to know whats wrong with my car . BTW love the color , nice work

Your 275's are no closer than my 255's . now I need to know whats wrong with my car . BTW love the color , nice work
I don't think there is anything wrong with your car. I just posted an option for the PO. These wheels worked on this car with those tires. Now every brand tire has a different section width. That is why I posted the brand of tire. These tires on the Orange Duster were also 275 60's. The wheels were 15x8 with a 4 1/2 back space. The tires were Jetsons The car was Big bolt pattern.

It was mini tubbed for drag tires so I don't know of the clearance to the springs with the factory spring location. The rear was factory width. I believe the Big bolt axles added 3/8 per side. But they were under the quarters about the same as the brown Duster with small bolt. I was told if I add disc on the rear it makes the total width wider. I really don't know how much.. I'll find out when we rebuild the Duster

DSCN2527.JPG

DSCN2528 (2).JPG

DSCN2529.JPG

DSCN2530 (2).JPG

4.25 BS with a 255's- Don't go bigger unless your ready to modify.

I have 71 Duster with stock A body 8.75 rear end with small bolt pattern and springs in stock location. I am looking at getting 15x8 rallye wheels form wheel vintiques and putting 275/60r15 on them. The wheels only come in 4.625 back spacing though. They do custom back spacing at a price though $50 a rim. I have made the measurements and done the math it looks like 4.5 would be ideal back spacing. These are so close, just 1/8 inch more back spacing. The math says they will fit but will be close. Was wondering if anyone has real experience running the 275 tires with 4.625 back spacing?

If you were running big bolt pattern axles I’d say go for it, it’d be close but it would probably be fine. With SBP axles you’ll need a spacer for sure. That’s ok if you use a good quality spacer, but you’ll also likely need longer wheel studs too.

I'm running the 15 x 8 rallye wheels on my 72 Duster with a 255/60/15 and I don't think you'll make the 275 work . As far as running a spacer it will help but you'll need to install longer axle studs to use them . I'm not running spacer and I'm still going to replace my studs this winter because there is only about a 1/2" of stud sticking out with these wheels .The picture posted is my right rear and its real close but I have never rubbed . The left side is a non issue .

View attachment 1715387820

If that’s your clearance with 255’s you’ve either got too much backspace on those wheels or too narrow of a rear axle.

It’s important to know which rear axle you have and what bolt pattern you’ve got. A-body axles are not all the same width, 7.25 and 8.25 rear axles are narrower than A-body 8 3/4’s, even 8 3/4’s with small bolt pattern axles. And on that note, BBP axles also change (widen) the rear track width. The backspace needed with a BBP 7.25/8.25 is almost a 1/2” different than what you’d want with an 8 3/4 with BBP axles.

4.25 BS with a 255's- Don't go bigger unless your ready to modify.

Yeah that’s just not true. Depending on the axle even those specs might not necessarily be good advice. And there are quite a few Dusters, Demons and Dart Sports with 275’s and no issues.

Yea, I run 245/60/15 Fits perfect, and they are plenty big

72 Blue and Cley- Just let people know that if they use a 275/60/15 that there is a 90% chance that they will need a spacer (who wants that) or the lips will need to be cut or bent (not the best either.) Some guys have never done this before, and it's terrible to buy at set of wheels and tires and then realize they don't fit without changing something.

Maybe I just got lucky I guess! I do know that if you want 275s, its really no big deal. For me with a set of used wheels from FB marketplace it was truly bolt on and go. I personally would not be scared of a small spacer, and if it necessitates longer studs that's not a big deal. If you can change muffler bearings you can change lug studs!

Cley

Here are pictures 275/60x15 good year eagles on 15x8 hweela with 4 1/4 back space. No spacers needed. The quarters on this brown Duster are original and not trimmed at all. I have been using this backspace on these cars for several years.

In the 80's you could only get 4 1/2 back space on several after market wheels . With 4 1/2 they are a lot closer to the leafs and would lightly rub the leafs. We would use 1/8-1/4 spacers back then .

But with these new custom back space wheels from "Wheels Vintique/Summit racing" spacers are no longer needed.

I had a problem with my wheel I ordered from them . It came in and was a 4 1/2 back space I sent it back. Summit contacted me and told me for the wheel I wanted that is a special off set they do not do. I had one of their wheels that came in the trunk of a car I bought. I took pictures with there markings and they made me a wheel to match. It cost me almost twice the cost of the first order. I believe they changed there custom order cost for the better. Make sure you correctly measure them when you recieve them.

DSCN1278.JPG

DSCN1279.JPG

DSCN1280.JPG

DSCN1281.JPG

DSCN1169.JPG

DSCN1170.JPG

Here are some pictures of 4 1/2 wheels of just some of the cars from the past I owned.

021 (2).jpg

070 (2).jpg

077.jpg

I have owned many more cars than these pictured. I never had a problem with them fitting. Buy 4 1/4 You can always space them out. You cannot move them in . As far as stud length. There is a common rule. You only need the depth of the width of the stud plus 1/8 for holding strength . Unless you have cheap china made lugs

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info. After a little more thinking and going over the measurements and math again I am going to go with a custom 4.5 back spacing. That will give me 0 offset on the wheel. I have 5 3/4 to the leaf springs and just a touch over 5 1/2 to the quarter lip. The tire I am getting has a section width of 10.7, so a 0 off set wheel should center the tire nicely in that just over 11 inch space.

72 Blue and Cley- Just let people know that if they use a 275/60/15 that there is a 90% chance that they will need a spacer (who wants that) or the lips will need to be cut or bent (not the best either.) Some guys have never done this before, and it's terrible to buy at set of wheels and tires and then realize they don't fit without changing something.

That’s just simply not true, again. Are there Duster/demons/dart sports out there that can’t fit a 275? Probably, the body tolerances on these cars are pretty loose. But just based on this thread alone, it’s no where near 90%. I test fit 275’s on my Duster with everything stock, they fit great. And that was at a lower than stock ride height. With the way most guys run their Dusters with the tail in the air, I’d bet 275’s would fit 90% of them, not the other way around. A quick search through the “wheels and tire” thread will give you dozens of the sport body cars running 275’s without mods.

Using a spacer is just a sign that you picked the wrong backspace. It’s not like a spacer magically creates more space. If the wheels fit with a spacer, they’ll fit without one if the backspace is correct. And there’s nothing wrong with running a good quality wheel spacer anyway, won’t hurt a thing.

-
Back