Duster Collision repair

-

PredaFran

Reaction score
Sadly, today while driving to college, someone decided that paying attention to the road while turning and passing 4 lanes was too much of a hassle and crashed into my rear quarter panel. I was going slow and well under the speed limit since my suspension is stiff and the road was bumpy, but he gunned it and tried to pass the 4 lanes and hit me.

the panel took some damage and bent my fuel filler neck a tad bit. it also slightly moved the bumper out of place. since I've never been in an accident with a classic car in any way I wanted to know what should I be kept an eye on, or make sure I should check something specifically. any help and/or suggestions help.

IMG_20190309_074141.jpg

IMG_20190309_074129.jpg

IMG_20190309_162641.jpg
IMG_20190309_124324.jpg

the plan right now is to replace the entire quarter panel with one of the Auto Metal Direct panels and leave it in primer since I don't care about paint and I'm scared of asking to get the panel painted in since it might be too expensive and force my insurance to total it. I love the car and have put a lot of work, time and money into it and it would break my heart to have to part ways with it.

Screenshot 2019-03-09 at 6.05.44 PM.png

if someone also has anybody shop recommendations in the south LA area or in LA, in general, it would also be appreciated.

Thank you very much for the help in advance

IMG_20190309_124324_01.jpg

At first look seems like the correct decision.

Sorry some *** screwed it up!

At first look seems like the correct decision.

Sorry some *** screwed it up!

Yeah sometimes **** happens, I just hope that my insurance doesn't screw me so I can get it over with and fixed, gotta start building my junkyard 8 3/4 rear.

I'd get it appraised for what it was worth before the accident by someone who does classic car appraisal, and not let the insurance go by book value on it, hopefully then they couldn't total it. Then like you said id make them fix it using quality AMD parts.

A quarter panel isn't THAT expensive in the grand scheme of things. I wouldn't let them total it at all. Fight them and make them pay but, worst case scenario is that you cancel the claim and pay out of pocket and have it fixed.

A quarter panel isn't THAT expensive in the grand scheme of things. I wouldn't let them total it at all. Fight them and make them pay but, worst case scenario is that you cancel the claim and pay out of pocket and have it fixed.
I ain't gonna give up easily and I'm ready to lawyer up if I have to
I'd get it appraised for what it was worth before the accident by someone who does classic car appraisal, and not let the insurance go by book value on it, hopefully then they couldn't total it. Then like you said id make them fix it using quality AMD parts.
I definitely will get it appraised
Didn't think of this thank you very much

it's your car, if you don't want it totalled, don't let them total it. It could be an argument clinic, but don't be afraid to stick to your guns. I've gone to the mat with a few insurance companies. Don't be afraid to ask for a free(to you) loaner for the duration while your car is being fixed. That can be an incentive for them to settle a claim faster, or expedite repairs. If they try to steer you to their body shop, be aware you can take it anywhere you want, within reason. Their body shop might do it on the cheap, by cutting corners.
If you can get more money out of it by totalling it, you can usually buy it back for scrap price. That may require a new rebuilt Vin number, which may or may not be a big deal depending on if is a collectable pkg car (like a 340, for instance).

I'm not sure I would replace the whole 1/4 for that damage.

You have access to most of it from inside the trunk and a damage dozer should it get it pulled enough to be able to body work.

Replacing the entire 1/4 isn't really that easy and you have a lot of measuring and considerations when replacing as big of piece as a whole quarter.
I have done both ways and done right either way will work but a whole quarter replacement has advantages and disadvantages as does the other way.

Good luck and never stop moparing

I'm not sure I would replace the whole 1/4 for that damage.

You have access to most of it from inside the trunk and a damage dozer should it get it pulled enough to be able to body work.

Replacing the entire 1/4 isn't really that easy and you have a lot of measuring and considerations when replacing as big of piece as a whole quarter.
I have done both ways and done right either way will work but a whole quarter replacement has advantages and disadvantages as does the other way.

Good luck and never stop moparing
I would love to keep the original sheetmetal, but my concern is finding a bodyshop that can do quality work and not just pull back most of it and Bondo it up, Since someone did do bad rust repairs to this quarter panel before. I'm still very new to the Mopar scene (only had this car for a year) and I don't know any good shops in LA I could take my car to that are trustworthy.

it's your car, if you don't want it totalled, don't let them total it. It could be an argument clinic, but don't be afraid to stick to your guns. I've gone to the mat with a few insurance companies. Don't be afraid to ask for a free(to you) loaner for the duration while your car is being fixed. That can be an incentive for them to settle a claim faster, or expedite repairs. If they try to steer you to their body shop, be aware you can take it anywhere you want, within reason. Their body shop might do it on the cheap, by cutting corners. Thanks for the information though I'll keep in mind the difficulty of the panel replacement in mind

If you can get more money out of it by totalling it, you can usually buy it back for scrap price. That may require a new rebuilt Vin number, which may or may not be a big deal depending on if is a collectable pkg car (like a 340, for instance).

It's a 318 with a 3 speed manual. It's not a rare package in any way so I'll see what I should do. Thanks for the suggestion.

That quarter looks like an easy repair. Porto-power , hammer ,Dollies and a stud gun. My quarter was worse than that. It was also hit in rear on the point and then flattened like yours on the side. 1969383valiant and I spent a couple hours on it. After this photo it took some more pulling with the stud gun at the bumper indent.

1031971-4f85a8bd92e4609692cfec7f07dc728e.jpg

Find a shop that can fix the quarter. It looks nice enough to save. About $550 without paint. Don't cut it up if you don't have to. To bad your not closer.

This is a non repairable quarter
1031973-2022d94414562a0e4fbc51bd3c01abad.jpg

Exactly what others said. A good body guy/gal can fix that without cutting.

Assuming you own the title, the onus is on the insurance company of the driver that hit yours to make you whole.
From the photo, that's a clean car, not rusty beater. Unlike the typical 'old car' that has collision value of 600 - 1000 if running, you should not have a hassle or an arguement about its dollar value being several thous.

About 15 years ago my car was rear ended on an expressway as we slowed for a backed up exit. The other guy's insurance adjuster came, looked at the car, made his estimate and was fine with using the shop that had done the body and paint on the car a couple years before. That was it. Even gave me rental even though I didn't really nieed it. You never know.

You're in LA area, it should not be hard to find a quality shop. Start asking around at car shows, swap meets (Spring Fling is coming up), etc

That quarter looks like an easy repair. Porto-power , hammer ,Dollies and a stud gun. My quarter was worse than that. It was also hit in rear on the point and then flattened like yours on the side. 1969383valiant and I spent a couple hours on it. After this photo it took some more pulling with the stud gun at the bumper indent.

View attachment 1715303606

Find a shop that can fix the quarter. It looks nice enough to save. About $550 without paint. Don't cut it up if you don't have to. To bad your not closer.

This is a non repairable quarter
View attachment 1715303607

Exactly what others said. A good body guy/gal can fix that without cutting.

Assuming you own the title, the onus is on the insurance company of the driver that hit yours to make you whole.
From the photo, that's a clean car, not rusty beater. Unlike the typical 'old car' that has collision value of 600 - 1000 if running, you should not have a hassle or an arguement about its dollar value being several thous.

About 15 years ago my car was rear ended on an expressway as we slowed for a backed up exit. The other guy's insurance adjuster came, looked at the car, made his estimate and was fine with using the shop that had done the body and paint on the car a couple years before. That was it. Even gave me rental even though I didn't really nieed it. You never know.

You're in LA area, it should not be hard to find a quality shop. Start asking around at car shows, swap meets (Spring Fling is coming up), etc

Yeah, I'm going to just get it pulled and straightened as soon as I find a good body shop. I'm trying to get it fixed before Spring Fling so I can take it there since I couldn't get it working properly for Fall Fling. At this point, I'm just waiting for the other party to assume liability so I can start with the rest of the process. I'm also trying to find the name of a bracket that connected the fender to the rear frame, since it is gone after the accident, ill try to get pictures of it, but any information is appreciated. Thanks again FABO!!

The insurance company valued my Duster at $54,000 I only had it insured for $25,000. They gave me the full $25,000 but I only got 80% and the title stayed clean. They will cheat you but stand your ground. They knew I wasn't going to let them take my driveline.

-
Back