Duster finally coming back together...

-

70Duster440

Reaction score
Been spending my free time (what's that again?) putting the Duster back together after paint. Here's a few pics (as a continuation of the original thread - http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=16587 )

Reassemble01.jpg

Reassemble02.jpg

Reassemble03.jpg

Preston that looks great. I think that tire and wheel combo is going to look good with that color.
Richard

It is coming along beautifully... just an idea... I think you should add some high res. pics of that beauty at your site... that Duster deserves it!!!
And I see you have added a nice thick anti-sway bar... what is it? 1'' 1/4, 1''1/8 and how is it attached on the LCAs? you how curious we can be...

Wow!! Looks great, That duster will be a show stopper:thumbup: and get down the track fast. Congratulations 70Duster440:coffee2:

Hi Preston,
Just a line to tell you what an excellent job of documenting
your rides rebuild on your site.
The website itself is outstanding.
The information and insight one can gleen from your rebuilds and upgrades
is quite phenomenal.
The custom seat brackets and steering column conversion and rebuild would be of great help to anyone contemplating doing it themselves.
I also found your steering and brake mods quite helpful as you added
your references and source info.
Your car will be the perverbial standard of new and old combined
into one slick, beautiful and omnipotent package.
Did I mention I'm jealous.
Kudo's to you, and a big slice of raisin pie

Spinning_Mopar_avatar.gif

Looking awesome. Looks like we are neck and neck. Looks really clean.

One suggestion before carpet. Throw down some dynamat.

Thanks for the kind words and feedback guys. I appreciate it.

vkarapanos: I know buddy, I'll get some pics up. It can be time consuming to update the site and I'd rather use that time to get the car together. I'm shooting for Spring to roll it out. I installed Addco bars front and rear. The front is 1 1/8". It mounts to the front edge of the k-member and the lower shock mounts via brackets. It was kind of a hassle really. The brackets required grinding for fit and clearance and I'm still not real thrilled by the fit. I know you installed Hellwigs and welded the brackets. I may do that too once I'm satisfied with the way it works. The jury's still out on it. I had also planned on mounting the calipers in the front but the caliper brackets hit the very end of the bar when the wheels are turned. I moved them to the rear but the hose routing actually isn't as good.

longarm: I'm blushing. I hope tales of my adventures will be helpful on some level to others interested. I can't say that I've ever had raisin pie. :)

1966 dart wagon: I did paint the wheel wells black (Zero Rust) in anticipation of undercoating them anyway. I figure the undercoating will add extra protection against corrosion and potential "outies" in the fender tops from rocks. If I had painted the wells and underside body color I think I would go insane trying to keep it looking nice.

daves66valiant: We must think somewhat alike - I'm almost finished laying sound deadener. I chose RAAMmat for cost and ease of installation.

Oh yes it was a hassle for me too but trust me the driving experience worths it... you will feel that you can attack every corner with a 1000 miles/h... Anyway I will have to un-weld the lower bracket, if I want the car to pass the test of car safety which is every 2 years and they do not like weldings on the front system. I am still thinking about it but probably I will use the lower shock mounts like you have done... somehow.. you see the end of the bar has to stay above the LCAs otherwise it hits the lower ball joint...

Nothing to get excited about but here's the RAAMmat sound deadener installed. It brightens up the interior. :) Easy stuff to work with, doesn't smell and super sticky.

RAAMmat01.jpg

RAAMmat02.jpg

You sure do make it look easy!!
Nice job.:-D

It is coming along beautifully... just an idea... I think you should add some high res. pics of that beauty at your site... that Duster deserves it!!!

Okay Vkarapanos, I've made some updates to the site under "Dash Mods", "Interior", "Drive Train", and added a new link: "Reassembly". :icon_smi:

I should be receiving my Pypes exhaust system today so look for that down the road as well as the headliner install. Right now I'm working out the modified fuel filler tube.

By your pic's, this looks to be one of the best resto jobs I've seen. Looks like a trophy winner. Howard

Okay Vkarapanos, I've made some updates to the site under "Dash Mods", "Interior", "Drive Train", and added a new link: "Reassembly". :icon_smi:

I should be receiving my Pypes exhaust system today so look for that down the road as well as the headliner install. Right now I'm working out the modified fuel filler tube.

Hey Preston, thanks for informing me but I am a regular visitor of your site so I knew that LOL!
I liked what you did with the front speaker... I will keep that in mind.

damn that looks good and since im sure youve had so much fun spending all that money and time building it when your done ill trade you straight across for my duster that needs totally restored :toothy10::toothy10::toothy10: looks awesome cant wait to see the whole thing finished Justin

I have some sound deadener that does not have any "sticky" on it. I have to spray both surfaces and it is kinda messy. Where do you go to get the stuff you are using with the sticky side?

I have some sound deadener that does not have any "sticky" on it. I have to spray both surfaces and it is kinda messy. Where do you go to get the stuff you are using with the sticky side?

Some people go to the hardware store and buy a roofing product - though I'm not sure if it's butyl or asphalt based. If it's asphalt you'll be dealing with odor and potential delamination.

I got the RAAMmat directly from the guy who sells it:

http://www.raamaudio.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

-
Back