Duster full floor pan replacement

-

BlistAbody

Reaction score
Hi, the whole floor on my dad's Duster is pretty bad and will need to be replaced. We like the idea of replacing it with a new AMD full floor pan instead of the individual pieces. However, the car is completely assembled and all the videos I've seen are with the car stripped down. My question is, are we able to do this with the motor and trans in or will the body flex too much with the floor out? Thanks for the help in advance. Here is a pic of the floor at the moment.

Snapchat-18722747.jpg

Even with engine out its a good idea to support it on stands at least on 4 corners. If your rockers are in good shape it probably wouldn't flex but I wouldn't want to find out the hard way.

I've done a couple of full floors in A bodies, but not a Duster in particular. The biggest problem is getting the full floor pan inside. I always gave it a gentle "roll" and slid it in through the windshield or rear window. One was a convertible, so no issues there. It will be awkward feeding it in from the side. You will have to do some disassembly no matter what- remove ALL the interior pieces, you don't want an errant sharp edge slicing up your door panels or sparks burning through anything; and be especially careful of your headliner when maneuvering it in through the side. You'll also want to remove or at least shield your fuel and brake lines, they're very close to areas that you'll be welding. The wiring to the rear should also be removed.

I did one in my duster, it will fit from the side if you take out the rear side window. I left my doors on and did not brace mine and the door gaps never changed. My rockers were excellent tho.
20181106_210236.jpg

Splice it at the torsion bar support if possible and sell the remains.

Maybe I didn't phrase this correctly but every video I've seen of people doing the whole floor replacement is when it is just the shell of the car. We want to do it while the whole car is together but are not sure if it can be done with all of the added weight on the structure. I know we have to support it and brace it, but how so exactly? Would putting on frame ties help? Thanks again

It's going to be pretty difficult, if it's even possible to weld the pinch weld at the firewall and transmission tunnel with the motor and transmission in it. I would pull the motor and transmission out to keep it from being such a pain in the butt. The floor pan is a big part of the unibody integrity, so you don't want to half *** weld it. Get the car up on jack stands, level front to back and side to side. I would also support the rocker panels with a 4x4 pushed up against the bottom of the rocker and wedged in place. I didn't look, but there are probably some videos on You Tube showing Mopar floor pan replacement.

-
Back