Duster Hood Question

-

jonn6464

1970 Duster
Reaction score
I'm thinking about a new hood for a 1970 Duster and I'd like to go with fiberglass. I've seen a few different styles, but my question is about the cowl induction. I can only find a 4" cowl option, which I feel is too high. Does anybody know if there is a 2"cowl fiberglass good being made?
Thank you

I'm thinking about a new hood for a 1970 Duster and I'd like to go with fiberglass. I've seen a few different styles, but my question is about the cowl induction. I can only find a 4" cowl option, which I feel is too high. Does anybody know if there is a 2"cowl fiberglass good being made?
Thank you
I special ordered a fiberglass hood w/ a L88 cowl ind. scoop in it, for a vega. Don`t remember what company, shop around till u get what u want !

If you’re going to make it look like a Chevy, go all out for the 4” version! :)

I think the cowl hood will look great and is a good choice.

@jonn6464, check with glasstek. But seriously, the 4" isn't near as tall as you think.

00F0F_gJMaPqYfZVV_600x450.jpg

01515_7sC0p8Lqx0U_600x450.jpg

600884_10201040518484549_997686560_n.jpg

943197_10201040519284569_1106180996_n.jpg

Last edited:
I think the cowl induction is a good look...and it's functional too.

Ya know what else is functional? The Ford reverse-tear drop hood. I'm all for someone adapting that to a Dart or a Roadrunner or a Chevelle...BUT if someone wanted to try this, it would do a person well to know that real car people will see a Ford styling element and may have questions. Since styling is something that's intended to be seen and make an impression, this is to be expected...and it's totally fine.

001.jpg

Last edited:
I also wonder who make the aftermarket scoops for the dusters by the way. AS far as the comments on scoops, let the owner make his car his way and feel no one 's pain! But, fact is, us car people identify our brand of car by hood scoop! Just that simple.

First, a cowl hood like that IS a Chevy thing. I also happen to love Chevrolets (just not quite as much as Mopars) and I think the cowl induction is a good look...and it's functional too.

Ya know what else is functional? The Ford reverse-tear drop hood. I'm all for someone adapting that to a Dart or a Roadrunner or a Chevelle...BUT if someone wanted to try this, it would do a person well to know that real car people will see a Ford styling element and may have questions. Since styling is something that's intended to be seen and make an impression, this is to be expected...and it's totally fine.
View attachment 1715139094

I think I misinterpreted your first post. I edited my response accordingly. Totally agree with what you wrote here.

I think the cowl induction is a good look...and it's functional too.

View attachment 1715139094

Actually, I have a '64 Galaxie 500 XL waiting patiently in the back of my shop to be restored. I've always liked the tear drop hood and I think I'll do one on that car. It's a 390, 4 speed car so I'm looking forward to getting it back on the road. Once I'm finished with the Duster, of course.

1970-plymouth-duster-front-grille.jpg

I like the look of the cowl hood, I don't care if it's a Chevy thing. It just screams speed! The cowl on the hood in this picture doesn't look as high as a 4" to me. But I might just be seeing what I want to see, I don't know for sure.

Yes.

House of color. 50/50 mix or orion silver fine and coarse metallic.

THe stripe is house of color, icy blue metallic pearl and is under the clear.

Clear coat is Dupont.

View attachment 1715139304
I like the look of the cowl hood, I don't care if it's a Chevy thing. It just screams speed! The cowl on the hood in this picture doesn't look as high as a 4" to me. But I might just be seeing what I want to see, I don't know for sure.

May I ask how you guys are dealing with the fiberglass hood. Have you removed the hinge springs to not damage it. Other than 4 hood pins I am curious. I am putting a stroked 440 in a 69 Dart with an RMS front suspension. I am concerned a taller manifold will create issues for the EFI air cleaner. Thanks

TA and AAR cars used a lighter hood spring but the hoods were heavier fiberglass than a race weight fiberglass hoodhood or lighter aftermarket . I say depends on quality of hood but definitely use a light spring is keeping the hinges.

TA and AAR cars used a lighter hood spring but the hoods were heavier fiberglass than a race weight fiberglass hoodhood or lighter aftermarket . I say depends on quality of hood but definitely use a light spring is keeping the hinges.

I deleted the springs and use a prop rod I robbed out of the junk yard

May I ask how you guys are dealing with the fiberglass hood. Have you removed the hinge springs to not damage it. Other than 4 hood pins I am curious. I am putting a stroked 440 in a 69 Dart with an RMS front suspension. I am concerned a taller manifold will create issues for the EFI air cleaner. Thanks
You can bet ur bippy you`ll have hood clearance problems I use a lift off hood because of a stiff (ex broken neck). I took the hinges and hinge pins both off mine. I have raised port heads which makes it even worse ! FAST has a big, flat air cleaner that may work, but I aint giving what they want for any air cleaner !

This may already be known but there is Lift off and Bolt on. Lift off may SEEM cool and theyre cheaper but its INCREDIBLY INCONVENIENT! In my future I will only go bolt on. It was a crazy pain for me to remove my Challenger lift off by my self.

-
Back