duster pistol grip

-

j par

Well-hung Member
Reaction score
I know this one has been asked a million times but I can't find a thread. I was wondering with my 73 duster which pistol grip would fit best it looks like the small, but then people are saying too short and then the medium one the 71 to 74 B body? I'll shoot a picture here of what I have. it works fine but its not a pistol grip like I've always wanted. thank you for any help or pictures. I do have buckets in now but would probably go with A bench seat when I put the car back to stock one day for now it's a drag strip car.View attachment 20140602_131723.jpg

View attachment 20140429_153520.jpg

well I'd better ask the next question. my shifter is press in kind but I have drilled a small hole to go through that mechanism casing and through my shifter to put a cotter pin in so it won't slip out while I'm racing my question would be are these fatter or skinnier or longer or any difference between press in kind and the Bolton kinds? Thank you

I used a 71-74 B-body bench seat shifter in my 66 but is a perfect fit for all a-bodies wether it has a bench or bucket seats, I even used the shifter boot from my old Hurst shifter that has a round handle.

I am using a 69 Hurst shifter box that had a slip in handle, the pistol grip had 2 holes in the bottom, it was a little too big for the older box so I ground some metal off the base and made it a little smaller, fit nice and snug and the old slip in clips even locked it in place where the holes were. So if you don't mind grinding a little to make it fit it will work, otherwise you need the newer shifter box.

BTW, you will love that shifter, I do! :burnout:

Here is my 71-74 B body bench pistol grip in my 72 Scamp with a bench seat

Here is a pic of it before I got a rebuild kit for the pistol grip

If you used the tall 70 non console pistol grip will not work without major modification. But the 71-74 b body bench style shifter works the best for A bodies

Here are the styles of pistol grips in order left to right in the pic
B&E body short console
B&E body medium bench style, best fit for our A bodies
70 B body non console
70 B body console

Heres mine

Attachments

• Duluxe interior.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 1,234
:prayer: thank you for all of those quick responses it seems like this 71-74 B body bench shifter is the one!
thank you again. Jpar.....

The "Short" E-Body Pistol Grip is a perfect fit if you have an A-Body with a Center Console and an Offset "Console" Shifter Adapter.

Late to the game, but here's a picture of my '71-74 B body non-console pistol grip in my Duster.

IMG_5176_zps782af97e.jpg

That does it!
I gotta get me one of these! :burnout:

that's where I'm at! I totally lost my cool! I just had to order it and get it over with before ir drove me nuts!:banghead: (which by the way it is a short drive!):)

The 71-4 Bench B Body shifter is the most user friendly of all the Pistol Grips...I've got one in my 73 RR. But, there is one small quirk with it. When installed in it's original application, that shifter is mounted to a dog bone shaped adapter that raises it up approx. 3 inches and back approx. 3 inches. It also does one other thing...tilts it back several degrees. Without that adapter, shifting into 1st or 3rd means pushing forward and down. When it's oriented correctly, those positions are more or less straight level. If you were to raise the shifter a bit, and tilt it back a hair, you'd REALLY love it!

The 71-4 Bench B Body shifter is the most user friendly of all the Pistol Grips...I've got one in my 73 RR. But, there is one small quirk with it. When installed in it's original application, that shifter is mounted to a dog bone shaped adapter that raises it up approx. 3 inches and back approx. 3 inches. It also does one other thing...tilts it back several degrees. Without that adapter, shifting into 1st or 3rd means pushing forward and down. When it's oriented correctly, those positions are more or less straight level. If you were to raise the shifter a bit, and tilt it back a hair, you'd REALLY love it!

I want to see a picture of that bracket if anyone has it.

I am not sure how well the offset would work with A bodies. But a flat plate moving it up in height and tilting it back to a position that is comfortable for the driver, like Tony mentioned, would probably be well worth the effort.

I am not sure how well the offset would work with A bodies. But a flat plate moving it up in height and tilting it back to a position that is comfortable for the driver, like Tony mentioned, would probably be well worth the effort.

Im curious as well how this would work/look in an A body

That bracket would literally put the shifter body up, in the car and against the seat in an A body. You don't want the bracket, you just want the tilt that the bracket provides.

-
Back