Duster tire size

-

jacko241

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Currently I have 275-50R-15 Hoosier DOT slicks on 8 inch wide wheels on the back. I want something taller. Do you guys think a 275/60R-15 will fit?

1974 BB Duster-2.jpg

Currently I have 275-50R-15 Hoosier DOT slicks on 8 inch wide wheels on the back. I want something taller. Do you guys think a 275/60R-15 will fit?

View attachment 1715825095
Here's a tire chart. It looks like 3" difference in the diameter. 1 1/2" on each side. Do you have that much room between the tire and the front of the wheel opening? The width shouldn't change. Tire Size Chart

Here's a tire chart. It looks like 3" difference in the diameter. 1 1/2" on each side. Do you have that much room between the tire and the front of the wheel opening? The width shouldn't change. Tire Size Chart

Thanks Mike. It looks like about 2.2 inches taller than my 275 50 15s. I think they will work. I am going for that old school pro stock look.

You can fit a pretty good size tire in there, if your wheels are 4.5 back spacing

Thanks Mike. It looks like about 2.2 inches taller than my 275 50 15s. I think they will work. I am going for that old school pro stock look.
Look again. 3" difference between the two.

Unless I am reading it wrong it says 275/50-15 is 25.8 and 275/60-15 is 28
Sorry, my mistake. I wasn't paying attention to the actual dimensions just the approximate column. My bad

These are 275-60-15s on my Duster
x0uDiBG.jpg

Springs are in the stock location. There's no problem with the lip, but I've got got less than a finger width between the sidewall and spring.

These are 275-60-15s on my Duster
View attachment 1715825219

Springs are in the stock location. There's no problem with the lip, but I've got got less than a finger width between the sidewall and spring.
Thanks! As far as I can tell, my springs are in stock location, I don't see any mods to the mounts, but I am not sure if my 8 3/4 is an A body or B body housing.

Thanks! As far as I can tell, my springs are in stock location, I don't see any mods to the mounts, but I am not sure if my 8 3/4 is an A body or B body housing.
Yeah that'll make a difference. Mine is a C-body housing cut down to A-body width with BBP axles which adds brake offset too. I'd say my car is sitting above stock ride height too but it has factory springs under it.

my experience on 70 Duster.
at 28" tall there is no issue clearing front of wheelwell ... but...275's have about 11.2 inch section width on 8" rim and that's too close to the spring with 4 or more inches of backspace.
That's With original spring location and axle width.

at 28" tall there is no issue clearing front of wheelwell ... but...275's have about 11.2 inch section width on 8" rim and that's too close to the spring with 4 or more inches of backspace.

So I do have 275 50s on it now, 4 inch offset, and I have exactly 3/4" between the tire and the spring. looks to be about 1/2" from fender lip.

As mentioned earlier, the BBP axles increase the brake offset. There would've been no way to get my wheel/tire combo on the car without that. There was a while after I'd ordered the tires that I was shopping for wheel spacers but it turned out I didn't need them.

Jacko,
I was speaking to the section width of the 275R/60/15s I bought. With a 4.25in Back Space tire didn't clear spring at 11.2 section width.
I won't run 'universal spacers'. Can't find drilled 5 on 4 solid spacers.
It's all about back spacing.
Easy to measure drum face to spring and use simple math from there for clearance based on tire OD/Tread width/actual (not advertised) back space.
Section widths vary a little by manufacturer.

Jacko,
I was speaking to the section width of the 275R/60/15s I bought. With a 4.25in Back Space tire didn't clear spring at 11.2 section width.
I won't run 'universal spacers'. Can't find drilled 5 on 4 solid spacers.
It's all about back spacing.
Easy to measure drum face to spring and use simple math from there for clearance based on tire OD/Tread width/actual (not advertised) back space.
Section widths vary a little by manufacturer.

I get what your saying. My current tires have a section width of 10.3, while the tires I am considering are 10.7. Seems like they will barely clear with current wheels.
I have BBP wheels, so I might be able to find a 1/4 spacer just to give me some extra clearance if I need it.

-
Back