Dying breed

-
I admit to have owned maybe 100 old Mopars since the mid 80's,.. from restored every nut an bolt high end cars, to projects, to parts cars,and everything in between. I just sold my 71 slant 3 on floor 71 Duster. Had it listed on here FABO for $3500 since march. NO inquires except the few "too far, wish I ha some $" replies. New brakes, all rust repaired, ready to block and go, runs/drives well/ So I put it on FB marketplace and CL other week, it is obviously a better car and priced cheaper than any thing else similar model. Guys drove here 5 hr away and didn't even try to bargain me down. Car was good car for a fair price. But I had to look to find it as a reasonably priced project and drive 5 hrs North to get it to begin with.
Point is, the old Mopar market is fickle maybe. In general, I see better cars, projects to rstored and all in between, on FABO and FB Mopar enthusists sites than CL or Marketplace for sure. Yes there are plenty of pie in the shy prices here, just not near as many.
Young people can find decent projects, decent drivers, and somewhat restored cars, they can afford, but they have to look and maybe not in their back yards.

I say good donor vehicle.
Not even a choice for a kid to Hot Rod.

The 98-2005 Durango 2wd. With 5.9 or 5.7 can be found for $500 needing tranny work up to $5000.
Some came with 3.92 rear gears and a lot had 3.55s.
Modify the inside of the intake, add a little more cam, a little more stall on the converter. Eat some rice.

Tell that to the kid down the street with the hemi str-8 durango. He gave me a ride. It gets it.
One out of how many millions of kids out there? Come on brother! Not exactly a cool ride you want to be seen and when you’re young guy. Besides what highschooler to early 20 something kid can afford one of these? It’s not like it was back in the day when I was a kid working at Walbaums super market for the new and improved minimum wage rate of $3.15 an hour. I could still pick up a beat up old car and have a blast with it for 50 to 100 bucks. And that was less than my weeks paycheck from working behind the deli counter.

48366085001_1c259f317d_m.jpg
-

This is why the younger generation isn’t into them.
What kid working for McDonald’s has the money to drop $200 on a tail light bezel.....$1000 on a hood and $2000 on an engine block

What about a 69 charger should ever be $129,000

These old cars are a big money game and the people who bought and drive them have that money now.

The kids s bought the Honda’s of their day and drive their parents cars. They tricked out what they had.

There are always exceptions.....but a million dollars for a 70 superbird that was $25000 20 years ago and a $5 million dollar Cuda that drives like a 70 Cuda.

$1500 for a rusted out 8 3/4 so people switch to a cheap 8.8

That’s why they don’t mess with them. Barrett Jackson and mecum changed the rules.

Then you have many people with 50 classics.....100 classics sitting in a garage that cost more than 5 houses.

It just costs a lot to restore these. You also have to have the skills and especially the infrastructure.

Welders, paint equipment, special tools and the knowledge over a lifetime on how to use that stuff.

These kids aren’t dealing with rusted out shells when they went to the 2001 civic. They were dealing with new cars that were compete and needed an engine swap of a cam just like when the muscle cars were new.

If you think about what it takes to really own these cars....it’s a lot.

And a hot date......the younger women and most in general that I know of....they don’t care. It doesn’t have leather seats or a nav system. I’ve had girls say......why do you even own that. You should sell it and buy a new mustang.

There’s a lot going on there that causes the new generations to not really care about these. Then......add in the entitlement of the newer generations. They don’t want to work on anything and go into massive debt to finance a new ride. I tried to tell a friend of mine yesterday......don’t spend $16000 on a new car when the one you have costs $300 to fix. While he watched me spend $300 on gts hub caps and thought I was crazy. He’s 26.

I get it.....but I don’t get it

A large part of this is the millennium mentality of many of those kids, NOT all. The entitlement attitude.

You people ever wonder why our old cars are slow to sell either done or as projects???? Too easy to go buy a new or slightly used "modern muscle" car!!!! And I am not talking just younger generations totally either!

No.....not all of them.

In 50 years they will be saying the same thing about the new generation while driverless cars run the roads and the new generation gives them hell for even operating the vehicle manually.

LMAO! True, I just can’t afford a old Charger or Cuda. I can barely afford a cheap *** Duster.

I'm currently 23 years old. I dont adhere to the trend or stereotypes of my god awful generation, I've loved classic muscles cars since I was a child. Currently have a 70 Duster I've been restoring since December and also have an 80 Volare Duster with a slant six and a 3 speed manual I use as my daily driver. I've had the conversation with many people and it's clear I was born in the wrong time era.

Last edited:
I'm currently 23 years old. I dont adhere to the trend or stereotypes of my god awful generation, I've loved classic muscles cars since I was a child. Currently have a 70 Duster I've been restoring since December and also have an 80 Volare Duster with a slant six and a 3 speed manual I use as my daily driver. I've had the conversation with many people and it's clear I was born in the wrong time era.
I connect. I get it!! I have loved quarter horses since a child. I should have been born in 1870!! The horse industry has been dying now for 20-30 years. I was raised up in the country, watching westerns on TV and movies. The younger generation became entertained with packman back in the 80's and have gotten steadily worse with technology!!

Last edited:
I connect. I get it!! I have loved quarter horses since a child. I should have been born in 1870!! The horse industry has been dying now for 20-30 years. I was raised up in the country, watching westerns on TV and movies. The younger generation became entertained with packman back in the 80's and have gotten steadily worse with technology!!
Dont get me wrong, I like many of my generation enjoy video games and technology and what not. But that's all "rainy day" stuff in term of entertainment, I'd much rather be wrenching on an old car or making an engine crank or something of that sort during the nice weather days

Good for you.. keep it up..
I always thought (told) I was born in wrong era too..lol

Dont get me wrong, I like many of my generation enjoy video games and technology and what not. But that's all "rainy day" stuff in term of entertainment, I'd much rather be wrenching on an old car or making an engine crank or something of that sort during the nice weather days
You are a breath of fresh air! Thanks for posting.

-
Back