42.9%
  5. over 550 hp

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. Kent mosby

Kent mosby FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    7:19 PM
    Now that I have my car running pretty well, I want to see what an expert can do with it. I have never had it on the dyno. My question is how do I prepare for the dyno day? I will be contacting a Dyno tuner in Spokane who specializes in high performance and EFI systems. I am not versed in what to expect.

What should I bring to the Dyno test? It looks like they set aside a day to do it. I do not have a bunch of manifolds or carb spacers to exchange or try so changing parts is not on the agenda. Maybe being a performance shop, they would change the carb spacer but that would be the limit, I think.

What should I ask them about, before and day of?

Should I be there for the whole thing, will they let me, should they allow me to be there? I would like to learn about it.

Any advice on what to expect???

This is where I am now. I have driven the current tune several hundred miles to allow for self tuning of the EFI.

1973 Plymouth Scamp
    RB 512ci, 440 source stroker kit with lightweight crankshaft, forged pistons, 10.83 CR. Trick Flow 240 heads, 440 source aluminum rockers 1.5RR, Trick flow single plane intake. Holley super sniper EFI, hyperspark ignition, coil and distributor. TTI 2 inch headers. Hughes 3000 stall converter. 727 transmission with transgo tf2 valve body mods. B&M Quicksilver shifter. Gear vendors overdrive to 8 3/4 rear end with 3.91 gears, braced in back. SS leaf springs. Competition engineering race shocks. Pypes exhaust 3" into 2.5 inch. RacePro mufflers. Cooper cobra 275/60-15 28.2 inch diameter tires. Current cam specs 244/252 @ .050”, 282/290 adv, .516”/.537” lift(1.5:1 rocker), 112 sep, .016”/.018” lash, Solid lifter from Oregon Cams.

Just for fun what power/torque do you think I will have before and after a professional tune??

2. 67Dart273

67Dart273 FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    For one thing make absolutely sure you download "whatever files" it takes to define your present "tune" so that if "somebody" screws up you have a backup. And don't save it "there." Save at least two copies in different places, IE on your laptop maybe, and on a card/ USB stick etc

I don't know but it might be a good idea to print out some of the pertinent "stuff" like fuel map settings and timing settings so if the tuner starts doing this or that you have some idea of "where it is going."

I'm certainly no expert on that end of stuff but that is where I'd go

I don't know whether I'd expect so much change in top end performance, but maybe better startup and driveability

If you don't gain "a thing" it will at least confirm the engine was close and "running safe"

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Kent mosby

Kent mosby FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
      Yep, Multiple backups are in place, on my laptop and onedrive. When we spoke to the tuner last time he indicated that driveability would be a key focus and as you indicated, performance would be refined. I have a pretty good knowledge of the software that holley uses but I don't know how all the pieces work together.

• clementine

clementine Flight risk FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
      You need more traction from what I saw Kent!
      :lol:
      Nice car!

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
      • oldkimmer

oldkimmer FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
        9:19 PM
        Good luck to ya Kent. Kim

• DionR

DionR Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        Wait, did I miss something when I got there late?? :D

BTW, completely agree. Nice car!!

• Like Like x 1
        1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
          By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.