E-68 400??

-

DionR

Reaction score
Any way to tell an E-68 HP 400 from an E-64 standard 4bbl 400 after the motor has been removed from the car? I know the E-68 had dual exhaust, but without having access to the car it came out of hard to determine that.

Any external visual clues?

BTW, carb and air cleaner are missing too.

Sorry, I should add that it is out of a 1975 Road Runner.

Thanks!

The HP stamp on the ID pad?

Thought about that, but wasn’t sure if they were still using it in 75. This one does not say HP on the pad, but it doesn’t have a date or serial number either.

The data in here says “Late Introduction” for the HP 400 - https://www.hamtramck-historical.co...ataBook/1975/75-Plymouth-engineering_0007.jpg

Not sure when that would be, the casting date on this motor is either 6/74 or 8/74 (I think it is a 6), but not sure how long a block would sit before use.

ID pad has 5T400 but no date or serial number I can find, only a big 2 and the cross indicating undersized journals.

Tried to find a date on the intake, but no luck there either.

My gut says the car was a late 74 or early 75 build and preceded the introduction of the E-68 motor. But wondered if there were other ways to tell short of finding the cam specs and comparing them to this motor.

-
Back