E3 spark plugs....Gimick or?

-
Run them on my road course truck, and my 1940 440 big block truck. The 440 also has their coil and distributor. Know the owner quite well, and have seen the testing and the data. Proven better burn,and horsepower gains. They have a great video on engine masters about it check it out. Then ask Lea Pritchett she's not gonna put a gimmick in her race engines. Eventually people started using light bulbs even though a candle worked just fine if ya know what I mean.

The problem with having three gaps in parallel is that only one will break down on each firing. (The voltage across an arc is very much lower than the peak required to create that arc). Once one of them fires, the other two are just along for the ride. You could argue that they actually get in the way of the flame kernel formation...
The only advantage I could think of (other than snake oil advertising) is that there are three points instead of one, so the normal wear should be tripled.

CORRECTO MUNDO , ELECTRICITY WILL ARC TO THE CLOSEST POINT /GROUND .

This stuff has been covered 40+ years ago, just that marketing has maybe gotten more creative to appeal to the new generations! I use Autolite Racing plugs and do as David Vizard does (shorten and radius the electrode tip).....because he says to do so as covered in another of his excellent books!:eek:

5CB28D38-4090-4BB3-9026-0937B4CACF51.jpeg

E95F18CB-6E31-4F2B-AC4B-9B6B4FC61ABB.jpeg

5844A982-C85D-4464-A2CD-8770F3FF8376.jpeg

39B8CADF-CF9A-4DF6-9041-9814C22AD071.jpeg

Last edited:
Nothing for nothing but multi electrode plugs do have their place in piston engines. Maybe not in cars, however aviation piston engines typically run dual plugs per cylinder and twin magnetos. They have at minimum twin electrode spark plugs on stuff like the smaller opposed cylinder lycomings and continentals. The TSIO540 was a pretty common one. Turbo Supercharged Injected Opposed 540 cubic inch. Larger radial engines such as the R1820 or R2600, or R3350 used 3 and 4 electrode plugs. But then again your looking at pistons in these things that are the size of coffee cans and they need to get that flame front moving plus have dual redundancy. The numbers I gave out for these engines are the cubic inches. The biggest radial produced was the R4360 which had 4 rows of cylinders, 7 per row, for 28 cylinders, and had 3 power recovery turbines. I believe that one had 4 electrode spark plugs. Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Screenshot_20200912-071934_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
Back in the '70's I purchased and installed a set of "fire injectors" in my parents new '71 Road Runner. They were advertised as being so much more efficient than regular spark plugs that after installation, one would notice the idle speed would actually increase. Lies, lies, lies.

fire injector.jpg

more horse.jpg

A coil per cyl would be necessary, imo, to utilize the multi ark plugs
A single coil wouldnt have the saturation time at higher rpm to complete the spread.
Like a multi spark box cant 0ver 3000rpm

A coil per cyl would be necessary, imo, to utilize the multi ark plugs
A single coil wouldnt have the saturation time at higher rpm to complete the spread.
True. But that'd still only work if the plug had separate terminals for each gap. I've never seen one like that - do the airplane ones have two isolated HV terminals?

-
Back