E85 Carb Winter Storage Question

-

72DMag

Reaction score
So, for this race year I switched over the one small block race engine to E85 and bought an E85 carb. Didn't do a carb conversion kit. Car ran great no complaints! I read that it's a good idea to run the car for a few minutes on regular pump gas at idle before storing the car for winter. What I can't find is what carb adjustments do I need to run 93 gas in an E85 carb? I would think that since the E85 carb is setup to dump more fuel in the engine I can't just put regular gas in the fuel cell without flooding the engine? Also, doesn't E85 carb use different floats cause I know E85 is slightly heavier.

Thanks in Advance!!

The pump gas deteriorates badly now. I would get a half gallon of 110 race fuel and run that if it's for winter storage. Race gas doesn't vent off like pump gas (especially ethanol blends)

You are correct that an e85 carb is calibrated about 30% richer than a gas carb. And if you simply just change fuel to gas you’ll run extremely rich. But at idle, just to run some through the system before winter storage it won’t be a problem. Your plugs will blacken up but that’s about all that will happen.

Thanks fellas will it help any to lower the fuel pressure down form 7psi?

Nope, on fuel pressure.

If you were going to idle the car turn the mixture screws in a bunch to lean it down. Just remember how far they are turned in when going back to e85.

With a DP carb, I'd rap it a couple times to make sure the pumps fill with race fuel. Once filled, then turn the idle mix screw in.

@crackedback Thank You!! First time with this setup and wasn't sure what to expect in the next month or so when it gets stored for winter.

My 2 cents, stay away from pump gas unless it is straight gasoline. If it has any ethanol in it, pass.

Run some race gas, also non-ethanol blend through it. Race gas should stay stable until out of winter hibernation.

-
Back