Eagle Crank, should I buy it?

-

MidnightSwinger

Reaction score
I’ve got an opportunity to pick up “Eagle stroker 4340 crank part# 440039006760 chry 400 3.750 stroke use 6.760 rods (not included)$400 NIB” quoted from the ad.

I can’t find any info on that part number, the seller said Eagle quit making it over 14 years ago. He says he believes it is forged.

I wasn’t in the market for a stroker crank, but it seems like an amazing deal. I did some research on FABO and it appears that the eagle cast cranks are crap and the forged are decent? Should I scoop this up for a future upgrade to the 383?

53138C11-95DC-41D5-8B96-D80F45692799.png

Can you zoom in on that front counterweight. It looks like there's been some dicking around with a weld on it.

That looks forged to me as the bearing fillets are not undercut like the cast ones. For the 1/2 price it may be a deal if you got the supporting hardware.

You'd be better off buying a balanced kit. You save a few bucks buying the kit.

Looks like Mallory metal was added to get it to internal balance. When it's pressed into the counterweight like that it's generally welded in, but that looks terrible. Between that and the fact you have no idea what bob weight it was balanced to.... I'd say pass.

You can take a production forged 440 crank and turn the
mains down to 400 size for less and have a much better crankshaft.

Very popular years ago and pistons are available. 471 CID.

Looks like it was balanced, it's a good price but I'd ask questions because someone did something

By the part number it looks like a 3.9 stroke crank
for a 440 Main size = Not a 400 for 3.75?
That’s what I told him, it’s a discontinued crank apparently. I’m not sure if he is the original purchaser, doesn’t seem to know much about it. I’m just going to pass on it.

-
Back