Early 904 shift cable fix

-

wheelsport

Reaction score
The early 904 shift cable housing is known to separate from the cable at the ferrel going into the transmission causing a frustrating leak. Replacing the shift cable isn't much fun considering the cost and difficulty of doing the job. I've read that placing shrink tube works but calls for removing the cable from the tranny. I have been plagued with this problem since I bought my car and tried several unsuccessful fixes. The other day after realizing most of the fluid had leaked out, I did a little quick thinking and came up with an easy fix that really works. I cleaned the housing and ferrel with Brake Clean. I then cut a narrow strip of inner tube and grabbed a fuel line screw clamp. I rapped the strip of rubber around the cable housing and ferrel and placing the clamp over the rubber and tightened it. The fix took five minutes and there is no longer an annoying leak.

I completely eliminated the shift cable leaks from the 904 in my 65 Barracuda! I took the transmission out and sold it, cables, shifter and all! I’m putting an A999 transmission in it with an aftermarket shifter hidden under the original shifter cover.

-
Back