Early A-Bodies

-

Claydart

MOPAR to the very bones
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I really just started to notice that when I go to car shows, early A-bodies don't really get any respect! The people walking around stop and say, "nice paint" or "I like the wheels", but it isn't until I open the hood that I might get a "whoa" or similar comment. With the general lack of early A bodies at these car shows, it amazes me that there is no real respect for these cars in general. Sure there are a ton of later Darts and Dusters, and plenty of 67-69 Barracudas at the shows, but I have only seen 2 other early (63-66) A-bodies at any shows. And nobody noticed one of them until the owner opened his hood and displayed the Hemi inside! I'm thinking that these cars were so common back in the 60s and 70s with all the older people at the time driving around in these fairly cheap vehicles, that everyone that sees them now, just say "oh yeah, I had one of those back in my high school or college time. Does anybody else find the same thing I do, or am I just a little paranoid?

I always draw a crowd. LOL

1490938-b4f95b97a62c0b056444f908e6fac4fe.jpg

1497894-c50d0aaa4ceda68f1833c7fb161b4aa2.jpg

I generally get several folks stopping to look an in an excited voice say something like "man, my buddy used to pick me up for school in one of these"!! Or "this is really cool. Don't see these around much"!

At a typical cruise-in at the Burger King I rarely get a chance to sit down as someone is stopping to look and chat.

I will say, that was last year...haven't been in the mood for cruise-ins this year. But, I haven't taken a drive without a couple thumbs up.

Seems so, at Shows at least.
But I can't get out of the Gas Station, Napa or Wal-Mart w/o at least 4 people coming over to talk to me...
and Mine's not even Nice.

65.jpg

But I can't get out of the Gas Station, Napa or Wal-Mart w/o at least 4 people coming over to talk to me

Lol, totally forgot about stopping. Yeah, not long ago a woman came over when the wife and I parked at Walmart and asked if she could take a picture!

I really just started to notice that when I go to car shows, early A-bodies don't really get any respect! The people walking around stop and say, "nice paint" or "I like the wheels", but it isn't until I open the hood that I might get a "whoa" or similar comment. With the general lack of early A bodies at these car shows, it amazes me that there is no real respect for these cars in general. Sure there are a ton of later Darts and Dusters, and plenty of 67-69 Barracudas at the shows, but I have only seen 2 other early (63-66) A-bodies at any shows. And nobody noticed one of them until the owner opened his hood and displayed the Hemi inside! I'm thinking that these cars were so common back in the 60s and 70s with all the older people at the time driving around in these fairly cheap vehicles, that everyone that sees them now, just say "oh yeah, I had one of those back in my high school or college time. Does anybody else find the same thing I do, or am I just a little paranoid?
Let's face it, at an "All Makes" show, Mopars can be a niche vehicle. A bodies are a niche within the Mopar ranks. Early As are a niche within A body owners.
If you're looking for accolades at most shows, if you didn't bring a chromed-out Camaro you're likely to be disappointed.
I enjoy fewer comments, the ones I do get tend to be more sincere, honest and informed. After a while you get tired of all the "my Dad had one, but it had the 440 Hemi Six Pack in it" type comments. It's hard to be nice after a while.
Like said above, outside of shows I can't go anywhere without being approached by people with comments like "Nice car! How do you like driving a classic? Aren't you worried about having it on the road?" Real people, real comments. I enjoy that much more than posers at shows trying to prove how much they (don't) know.

Last edited:
I like early A bodies. That's all that really matters to me.

Seems so, at Shows at least.
But I can't get out of the Gas Station, Napa or Wal-Mart w/o at least 4 people coming over to talk to me...
and Mine's not even Nice.

View attachment 1715982736
Same here. Before I tore my 65 Barracuda down for restoration, I drove it around town a few months, after I bought it. Everywhere I stopped it was, "what is that? I've never seen one of these before. How old is it? Where did you get it? What a cool looking car!" The shape of mine was similar to the one you have. I can't wait to get mine finished and I hope I do before they ban "gas burners.":mad:
Norm

IMG_2184.JPG

I can't go anywhere in my 65 Valiant station wagon without people telling me what a cool car it is even with all the rust . It's a 170 slant with a 4 speed from a 65 Barracuda and lots of fun to drive . I use it like a truck hauling lumber ,take it camping full of gear , and just enjoy driving it . Same goes for all my old 2 stroke road bikes .From my perspective it doesn't really matter what other people think about my rides.I like them and that is all that matters.

DSC03475_5d3635ee61ed8d28d6b1e6a9.JPG

A bunch of nice early A bodies in this thread, and I have to agree with all the comments :thumbsup:
I drove my 66 daily for about 7 years and everyone had something to say about her, my mail man drove one I heard a few times :D

Victoria 7.jpg

Car show wedding pic's 146.jpg

Tim Morlin Visit 7 22 2010 015.jpg

I do get it, about people coming over at gas stations and driving around town. I do get lots of people asking about it too, but like someone posted here, if you aren't showing up in a Camaro, Chevelle, Mustang, or Nova, then all you get is those lookers that just walk by and nod and say "oh yeah, my mother drove one of those"! Back when I got my first 64 Dart GT, it had a slant in it, and my neighbor's sister walked over and looked at it and said, "I used to have one of those, can you open the hood for me" so I did and she said "Huh mine had a V8 in it though" and started to chuckle!

my neighbor's sister walked over and looked at it and said, "I used to have one of those, can you open the hood for me" so I did and she said "Huh mine had a V8 in it though" and started to chuckle!

She probably dates guys with jacked up trucks and scrotums on their tow hitch

If you drive it around like a normal car and stop at grocery stores, gas stations ect you'll get a lot of attention if thats what you're looking for. Car show people are a different type of A holes.

When I go to a car show I tend to walk past the E-bodies. I never really had an interest in them. Some early A's are interesting to me and some later A's are not. Just the way it is. I have no idea what body style yours is so I can't comment. I also don't pay that much attention to slants or 318s. At all make shows I won't give a second thought to a Mustang, but a blown V8 Maverick has my attention. I like what I like and ignore what I don't. Just enjoy yourself with the car that you like...

The only time I enter a car at a "car show" is when I don't want to walk far carrying stuff. Never cared what anybody thought of any of my cars. Cars are usually Show or Go. We used to get shadowed by the cops, so most of our cars looked very plain. Took my friends' little brother somewhere, wound it up to about 3,000 rpm and floored it. When we got back to the house he was raving about the Barracuda, so his sister looks out the window and says "doesn't look like much to me." I just smiled and didn't say a word.

Last edited:
Let's put it this way:
At some shows, you get people telling you that you've got the wrong style lug nuts... Big effin' deal, buddy. Where's yours?
In a parking lot, I get a little girl that runs up and says with a smile; "Gee, mister- I really like your car!"
Now THAT makes my day!

Let's put it this way:
At some shows, you get people telling you that you've got the wrong style lug nuts... Big effin' deal, buddy. Where's yours?
In a parking lot, I get a little girl that runs up and says with a smile; "Gee, mister- I really like your car!"
Now THAT makes my day!

This sounds vaguely familiar.....:rolleyes: both online and in real life

Good deal

Yeah, stuff like that kinda goes with the territory when you drive your cars- I've got a beater '66 Sweptline shop truck (not pretty, but stone cold reliable), made a run to the hardware store the other day to pick up a few odds and ends, and when I came out of the store there's a couple taking selfies in front of the old girl. I just chuckled, threw my junk in the back and drove off.

When I take my cars out I get quite a few positive comments from younger girls. (The younger guys never even notice a car.....) And, I hear from the older folks what it is I need to do to make my car right.

Couldn’t resist posting my 66 Signet again:

1AF28DED-39D1-42D1-ADCA-D4084EDF098B.jpeg

What makes it even better? It’s a slant six, which I also love.

6453454A-2BD9-4AD6-B221-E1B6E25EC6F2.jpeg

-
Back