early A-BODY 1-5/8" x 1-3/4" SMALL BLOCK STEP HEADERS

-

stroker402

1968 dart GTS convertible
Reaction score
" REVIEWS "
TTI Header #636A

Especially made to fit the 63-66 A-BODY dart valiant barracuda .
1-5/8" x 1-3/4" SMALL BLOCK STEP HEADERS 3" collector with 3/8" head flange thickness.
Has anyone install these headers on early A bodys? If so , what are your opinions on fit and performance ?

TTI636A-LS.jpg

TTI636A-RS.jpg

Pic1.jpg

Pic2.jpg

Last edited:
I see brake line relocation using those. lol

That rear tube clears the firewall?!?!

Daaaaaaaaang!!!

we put a set in a 66 baracuda. thy are tight as hell.. master cyl was fine in stock location.. i think they made them with small torsion bars though.. the cuda we put them on has 1" bars and its super super tight around the torsion bar. took a long time to het that engine positioned just right.. i think if i did another small block early abody i'd go with the smaller tube dougs headers even if it cost me some power...

Wow ! the reviews aren't looking good . let see some more . I have a stock 65 formula S car so the tubes are going to be tight around the bars . I had #450 dougs on another 65 dart the bars rubbed also and the brake proportioning valve had to moved some . I have hookers semi fender wells on my barracuda now . They fit pretty nice ! they have a few slip on tubes . 1 5/8" tubes -- 2.5" collector.
Would there be any advantage with the stepped tubes and 3" collectors performance wise
?

Extrude Hone is looking better and better.

no he didn't. car was dialed in. maybe the power level it was at is wht it didn't do anything.. those F.A.S.T guys will do anything for a fraction of a second.

when were these early A body chassis headers produced? I thought they just came out within a year or so not 9 years ago..

Those look as good as any in clearance. Looks lie youll have to trim back the shaft collar? And column shift is out, Sorry Rob! Whats the price? Here is a member pic of the oil filter clearance and possible special adapter you need.
xSfJ16v.jpg

Last edited:
here is what ttI said about the oil filter adapter issue Mod .
"Can use OEM 90º adapter or REMOTE MOUNT OIL FILTER"

Note: 90º Oil Filter Adapter Bolt: Oil filter adapters are supplied with either a 3/4" or a 1-3/16" hex head mounting bolts.
If your adapter came with the 1-3/16" bolt, modification will be required by machining bolt head to .175 thickness.
[See FN21 for illustration]

With headers I am sure it is a different story, but I thought I would mention this just the same: I run the factory stock manifolds with the TTI 2 1/2" dual exhaust system on the '65 Formula S. The instructions included the machining of the oil filter bolt head which we performed. I don't know why it was recommended for the stock manifolds using the TTI head pipes because the way the shop installed the TTI system it didn't seem necessary to me. No photos available for the moment because vehicle was stripped for body refinishing.

" REVIEWS "
TTI Header #636A

Especially made to fit the 63-66 A-BODY dart valiant barracuda .
1-5/8" x 1-3/4" SMALL BLOCK STEP HEADERS 3" collector with 3/8" head flange thickness.
Has anyone install these headers on early A bodys? If so , what are your opinions on fit and performance ?

View attachment 1715673760

View attachment 1715673762

View attachment 1715673764

View attachment 1715673768

They could have made that #3 tube an inch shorter and not lost .01 HP and had more clearance.

Number 3 tube isn't as close to the firewall as it looks like in post #1. Plenty of clearance between that tube and the firewall.

Wire harness down to starter should be moved.

Firewall brake line should be re-routed to go over the steering column (I used a repop firewall brake line for a 69 Barracuda).

Cable from battery to starter should be re-routed to go down to the frame and then back to the starter (clamp it to the frame in a couple of places).

M/C lines need to be fabricated and re-routed to hug the inner fenders. Combination valve (on the frame) needs to be moved 2-3 inches to the rear so it won't butt up against a header tube (so the front to rear brake line needs to be shortened and a new double flare put on its end). New line fabricated to driver's side caliper.

If you have an end cap on the steering column housing, it will butt up against one header tube. I shortened my housing as much as it would go and still clear the firewall. The rubber end cap is still a bit close to a (different) header tube, but it does have some clearance.

I had to replace my home-brew 340 clutch linkage with Brewer stuff designed specifically for early A with 340 10.5 inch clutch. The lower bar of the Z bar still hit one header tube. Since my diaphragm clutch had more travel than I needed, I pulled the under dash pedal bracket and welded a steel rod under the clutch stop. Lower bar of Z bar still touched the header tube, so I took a BFH hammer to the tube and now it cleared.

With .89 big block torsion bars, the driver's side bar, which feeds through two tubes just touched or almost touched those two tubes. I substituted a later A body rubber mount for the original 273 mount, as it was maybe 3/8 inch thinner. That dropped the motor down just enough that the bar now clears the header tubes enough that they don't rattle against the T bar.

The idler arm hit one of the passenger side tubes. BFH took care of that.

Moved the fuel line a bit and used new clamps to hold them in place away from the header tubes.

I bought an oil filter adapter off ebay that had the small-head bolt. Took the bolt for myself, then put the adapter on ebay with the large-head bolt for what I had paid for the adapter. Free bolt.

I think that's about it. The 2.5 inch exhaust needed a bit of finagling to fit, too, mostly getting the tailpipes in just the right position so they didn't rattle against the shock absorbers. Also, I already had dual exhaust on it with 69 Barracuda chrome tips and I wanted to keep them. I ended up cutting the TTI tailpipes a foot or so from the end, cutting my old (Walker replacement factory Duster 340 tailpipes) and then slipping the ends into the TTI pipes. Probably a bit more restrictive than running 2.5 inch pipes to the end, but they look good.

20180521_200922.jpg

20200125_121509.jpg

Oct 14, 2017 5.jpg

20170904_165758.jpg

20200125_121528.jpg

Last edited:
You must have a lot of patience 65cuda340 .
If I were to go thru all that I'd contact headman hustler and has them custom make a pair of 1 3/4" fender wells for my built 273 with No Hassles .
I had a pair of 1 7/8" on my early 65 dart 402 stroker and they fit beautiful. just say n

raggie engine 10 -2011.jpg

raggie 5-11 driveway Gooddddddddd.jpg

You must have a lot of patience 65cuda340 . If I were to go thur all that I'd contact headman hustler and has them custom make a pair of 1 3/4" fender wells. with No Hassles .
I had a pair of 1 7/8" on my early 65 dart 402 stroker and they fit beautiful. just say n

Yeah, I had fenderwell headers on mine way back. Easy to install, and easy to remove. Did have a tire clearance problem, though, at least on tight turns. After a couple of years, I replaced the inner fenders and went back to hipo 340 manifolds for a long time, then decided, what the hell, and went for the TTI's. I don't regret it, but I'm glad I don't have to do it again.

TTI's on my 67 Barracuda were EASY. I did them with (at the time) one useless arm (since recovered). And everything fit and everything cleared Ha!

-
Back