early a body big block engine mounts

-

slantscamp

Reaction score
hey everyone. i was just looking at my schumacher creative services catalog and saw that they have a kit to put a big block in your 63-66 a body, its funny because it says kit requirs custom exhaust. among other things. i couldnt imagine trying to shoehorn a big block in one of those little cars. i have a 65 barracuda with a 318 and that doesnt leave much room.

cuda.JPG

fits with no problem.. its actually easier to work on then a small block in those cars....

here is the 64 440 valant i built years ago..

64valiant025.jpg

64valiant023.jpg

64valiant024.jpg

64valiant029.jpg

Hey Sweatybetty, what mounts are you using - schumachers? I guess that's a B block you're using not an RB? How much clearance is there with the manifolds around the steering column?

racingsnake440 said:
Hey Sweatybetty, what mounts are you using - schumachers? I guess that's a B block you're using not an RB? How much clearance is there with the manifolds around the steering column?

yeah, its a 383, soon to be stroked. i ended up making my own mounts using the factory isolators and a torque strap. couldnt see paying that much. i had to fudge the steering column over to the left and use a hydraulic clutch. but everything fits. thought about headers but could get myself to cut up the fenders. that guy at accurate ltd. that does the exhaust stuff told me it couldnt be done.

cool, are you using a scattershield or a stock bellhousing? are the exhaust manifolds regular hipo ones or are they of a specific model?

jeez i envy you guys. all i can get is dial-up. cant watch videos, if i do it takes forever to download them

yeah, its a 383, soon to be stroked. i ended up making my own mounts using the factory isolators and a torque strap. couldnt see paying that much. i had to fudge the steering column over to the left and use a hydraulic clutch. but everything fits. thought about headers but could get myself to cut up the fenders. that guy at accurate ltd. that does the exhaust stuff told me it couldnt be done.

Those guys at accurate need not look further than hi-po logs with the gasket surface milled 7 degrees so they tuck tighter to the block. Even without the milling, you can slot your steering box bolt holes and slide it over 1/4 inch and use a slender steering coupler like a flaming river or generic U-joint syle coupler instead of the OEM cup and shoe coupler. 383 fits fine and a 440 only brings the exhaust higher over the fenders (may not be better for steering clearance) . Headers can be Pro-Parts big blocks with minor mods to 2 pipes. 727 needs the pinch weld in the trans tunnel pounded flat for clearance. I also used 3/4 nuts as spacers, ala hemi in an A body, between the body and the K, helped a little with the steering shaft alignment. Nothing is impossible or even difficult..call it a challenge. It only becomes difficult if you are paying someone hourly to do it.

What about in a 62 a-body. I will be helping a guy install one in his 62 Lancer. Do the Schumacher mounts work in these as well. I think the firewall may need some work though?
Also, leafs, torsion bars, disc brakes etc. Can these be fitted to the 62 a-body?

The 62 firewall didnt have the new in '64 273 distributor kickout, but I think the rest was pretty close if not identical. There is a flat black Lancer in Long Beach, CA on a trailer, all decked out in drag trim. Wonder what he is running...

I still got a set from Streetmasters, hinge style, for sale too.

-
Back