Early A body Brake SprAng Tool

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a tool that will remove and install these type brake shoe hold down sprAngs? I'm gonna make one, but I thought if there was a tool designed for the job, I'd get that too.
BRAKE SPRANGS.jpg

Thank you! I knew somebody had to make something.

Take a Phillips screwdriver, cut off the top and you are ready to go!
That's what I did. Used a Phillips with a shaft diameter, that just fits down inside the spring. Cut the tip off. I put a little bit of a notch in the end to engage the spring. Makes it a little easier if you need to bend or twist the spring, to release it from the anchor.

Here is the description of the KD 297 and KD 270 brake tools.
KD 297: A must for removing and replacing retaining springs on many Valiants, Falcons and Comets from the 1960's. Easy to use. Simply push tool into spring and twist to disengage. Keep left hand on the back of clip to keep it from dropping as spring is removed.
KD 270: This tool is designed to quickly remove and replace Lockheed total contact brake shoe return springs on 57, 58, 59 Chrysler Dodge and Plymouth cars.
Information was obtained from old tool catalogs.

I have an extra schrader valve tool with a long handle. I may try cutting one side of of it. That should do it. Thanks fellers.

I got my brake hardware kit today. My sprAng tool ain't showed up yet, but I got out my long schader valve tool and it worked like a champ. I cannot imagine the correct tool working better.

IMG_20230321_190848.jpg

-
Back