Early a body filler neck flapper install

-

prorac1

Reaction score
We purchased a filler neck flapper for our 1963 Plymouth valiant project.

But we can’t figure out how it installs?

642FA1F9-586B-4849-82C7-A1F2EF0A6AE9.jpeg

When we try to install the sentry, the lips on the filler neck won’t let us slip it in there.

No matter how we try to slip it in there.

DFC16D4B-F3BC-4508-A2D3-13A8765E9D06.jpeg

B8CCEB09-C15B-44DE-B10D-75777B0F646B.jpeg

Any help is appreciated. Thanks. Eric

Why do you want that ?

Gas pump kick off. It’s a restoration project for my 16 year old son, and member here.

I remember on mine, before the fuel cell, gas pumps blowing fuel all over my quarter panel. Lol.

This device is suppose to stop this by allowing the fuel to back up into the nozzle when full and kick the pump off.

I figured it would just slip in and be easy. Lol.

o.k. got ya, stuff a rag around it that should stop it, lol

A suggestion, find a deep socket that fits the bottom of the flapper valve and try whacking it in with a hammer. Not sure if it will make sparks. Perhaps a wooden dowel...

Bigger hammer? unless that spiked metal one way washer like device is really soft and springy I don't think it is going to work.

If the spikes faced the other way you might be able to insert it from the other end if it wasn't for the flatten inner tube in the filler tube.

Back in the day the nozzles were larger diameter then today and sealed a little better.

I have the same issue and have thought about making a sealing rubber washer of sorts to put around the nozzle before I put it into the inlet kind of like the this
OR this
nozzle 1.jpg

nozzzle 2.jpg

Not fitting may be a blessing in disguise. If I recall those early filler necks have some funky baffle vent system built in there. Might really mess with it.

A suggestion, find a deep socket that fits the bottom of the flapper valve and try whacking it in with a hammer. Not sure if it will make sparks. Perhaps a wooden dowel...

My only fear is that once you bend the spikes in to fit past the lip, it won’t wedge into the filler neck.

Not fitting may be a blessing in disguise. If I recall those early filler necks have some funky baffle vent system built in there. Might really mess with it.

Ok. That’s a good possibility.

I know I’ve read about people using these. I just can’t find the threads now. Lol

another thought if you are sure you want to use it. the spikes on the lower end are narrower than the top spikes and the left and right look narrow enough to put into the cutouts and once in the tube rotate 90 deg to a position parallel to the filler inlet.

I googled the name on the device and found nothing... was that a gadget available "As Seen On TV" back in the 70's when the change happened to unleaded?

GOOD LUCK!

nozzle 3.jpg

another thought if you are sure you want to use it. the spikes on the lower end are narrower than the top spikes and the left and right look narrow enough to put into the cutouts and once in the tube rotate 90 deg to a position parallel to the filler inlet.

I googled the name on the device and found nothing... was that a gadget available "As Seen On TV" back in the 70's when the change happened to unleaded?

GOOD LUCK!

View attachment 1715301575

We tried inserting it that way, but when ever it came to fitting the big spikes through it was a no go.

We’re going to try it 6 ways to Sunday again……on Wednesday. Lol.

Thank you. Eric

We tried inserting it that way, but when ever it came to fitting the big spikes through it was a no go.

We’re going to try it 6 ways to Sunday again……on Wednesday. Lol.

Thank you. Eric
Do you order it by application or size? I'd say you need a smaller one.
EDIT: After looking again that probable is the correct size.

Try putting the top side in first flat like my sketch with a rotation. Put right side in in between the upper spikes and the flat on the side then the other side similarly. Push in far enough so bottom clears the bottom of the inlet ring and then rotate parallel.

But quite frankly I think the universe is trying to tell you something :rolleyes:

Isn't there a Democratic senator out west who said she wants "Resizers" mandatory on all cars. To stop global warming!

-
Back