Early A body paint code match

-

cheech14

Reaction score
Here is my issue/question; I currently have a 1965 Formula S with a fender tag paint code of XX1, which translates to light tan, dunes tan, etc. The problem is - that is not the color the car is. I was there when the car was purchased and know that it was never painted a different color. The color on the car is close to an Ivory color, much lighter (from what I can see on the website pics) than the XX1 paint code. I had another 65 Formula S that I passed on to a young man and his dad for a project car - it was the same color as mine, but has a NN1 paint code. Silver??? Is this a common occurrence with fender tags/paint codes or something unusual. I have nearly all the paint off the exterior of the car and want to paint it the original color, which I have grown to like, but am a bit perplexed on what that is. (I don't really care for the XX1 color tho) Mother MoPars joke book in play here? Bottom line - I will paint it what I like, but am really curious as to this being a common thing. Hope you all had a joyous Christmas or are having a splendid Hannuka and are ready to welcome the New Year in style!
Cheech14/ RT

Do you have a build sheet? I have seen mistakes on fender tags but not paint codes. Yes xx1 is beige.

Do you have a build sheet? I have seen mistakes on fender tags but not paint codes. Yes xx1 is beige.
Alas - no build sheet. Thanks for the info. Guess I will have the local shop mix me up a small can of XX1 to see if it matches my color, since the paint colors don't seem to translate well on the computer.
RT

If you haven't yet stripped the underside of your deck lid, that would be a good place to make the comparison once you get a can of paint mixed. The paint under there should be in good shape, since it has spent the majority of it's life out of the sun and elements.

Check that the fender tag sequence number matches the number stamped on the upper radiator support.

And this is my reference:
Paint Chips 1966 Dodge

Should be the right tag - the car has been in the family since new. However, I Will look!
Discovering lots about this car I didn't know!!
Thanks
RT

-
Back