Early A-body SBlock headers

-
hooker and headman have them also... probably have to call them to see if they still make them.... there is those spitfire ones also ... i think laysons sell them...

Laysons makes the spitfire header for early A bodies. $350

I was going over old posts, to see if any one has ever used these shorty headers for 64-66 A body. Don't want to cut up my fender wells. Layson's say they now have them in stock. $300.00. They have to be better than my 65 273 exhaust manifolds. I have a 360 crate (380hp) with stock 4 speed in a 65 Cuda.

Yea, I read that post but I didn't want to put the Hookers in because I didn't want to cut my fender wells. The Dougs headers are too much money, so I figured that I would look at the Laysons (Spitfire) headers. Any body out there have them in an early A body.

There are rumours that tti is coming out with a set for early a bodies(finally!) in June of '06. They will probobly be expensive. Also, have you tried Mancini Racing for the Doug's D450 headers? They are supposed to be discounting them.

Dougs Headers has been discontinuing those for the last 10 years. They make a small number of them from time to time. The friend who sold me the parts car with the set of Dougs in the trunk told me he called them and that was what he was told. They sure are nice .All chrome plated and slip together fit. There must be 10 peices to the set! They are street headers (small tube) and will work real good on a 360. That's what I had planed for them but there are to many projects and not enough time.

if you have the money the Dougs headers are nice. I seen a pair on a 66 Barracuda last week I very impressed

I still have them NEW IN THE BOX but I haven't decided wheather to sell them or not.I have to see what other stuff I sell before I make that decision. If I keep my little 65 Valiant project car then I will use them with the 360 I have all ready to drop in but if someone comes along and buys that car then I won't need them.

yeah keep me posted too on the Doug's. Nice units.

ValaintConvertible.jpg

Dougs headers not Doug Thoroly's headers makes a great header for the '64-66 A body when using a small block. Access to plugs is good and it fits the compartment well. I don't run inner fenders. It does get a little tight around the 727 tranny. I installed them and used a long pry bar to tweek some extra space. I'll be wrapping the collectors for additional heat protection. You get more turning space with this brand than you can get with fenderwell headers. These headers are two piece. I just put together a '65 Dart with a roller cam 360. This set up is almost as loud as my 23T Altered some 20 years ago. Good Luck.

They won't flow as well, but I have a set of 340 manifolds on my 65! Many people told me they would not fit, But they are on there. After a bit of die grinder work on the power steering box. :cheers:

There's lots on this topic over here -> http://www.enbcom.com/discus/messages/394/418.html?1126794002

There's a guy on the net with a '66 Barracuda that is running the HP 340 stock manifolds. If you look at another site, someone did dyno tests on these stock manifolds vs. headers and there's not a lot of difference.

To make the HP manifolds fit (we're talking about the '68-'71 manifolds also known by their part numbers ending in 553 and 549) he had to change his steering column coupler to an aftermarket u-joint style.

This is what I'm planning for my '65 Barracuda. I already have the manifolds, just need the coupler and the guts and I'm all set!

I bought some from Laysons. I can't remember how much they were but they fit great the only problem was I had to put in a 90' oil filter adapter just pulled the one off the 273 block no big deal. Will try to send pictures. :wave:

ooh one more thing - they will NOT fit eddy heads!

First let me say, the headers that are sold by Laysons "ARE NOT SPITFIRES". Laysons bought a few sets from Harold (the builder of spitfires), and then had some else copy them.
I just spoke to Harold tonight, and he will be building them again right after the 1st of the year. This is a sideline for him. He works a full time job, and does have a family, so production is limited. The price will be about $225 COD.
I will post the contact info as soon as Harold gives me the OK.

-
Back