Early A Bumper Install?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
What's the preferred manner in which to install the bumpers: install the brackets to the bumper first or install the brackets to the frame first? Same advice for both front and rear bumpers? Thank you.

IMG_0159.jpg

I found it needs 2 people. I tried to install the brackets to the Bumper but was really awkward to get the bumper on without marking up the paint so for me it was easier to put the brackets on the car and I had a second person hold the bumper while I started the bumper bolts. I also draped a cut up towel over the ends in case of contact.

Loosely bolt everything together so you can still move things around to get it lined up nicely, then tighten everything down.

Also to add, put several layers of masking tape on all corners and anyplace the chrome gets close to the paint work. I prefer to line the bumper and the car. This way if you do get too close you don’t scratch.

Remember this : Don't over tighten the bolts that go thru the chrome .This can cause the chrome to blister and ruin your nice replated bumper.Been there done that

Anything I should know about the fasteners that secure the small corner brackets on the front bumper?[/ATTACH]

When I bolted mine on for a trail fit I noticed how much I had to readjust the little curved brackets so it wouldn't bugger up the new paint.

There are rubber shims on the rear bumper where it wraps around the side. see if you still got them. They were like thick cardboard when mine fell off.

Remember this : Don't over tighten the bolts that go thru the chrome .This can cause the chrome to blister and ruin your nice replated bumper.Been there done that
When tightening the chrome bumper bolts to the steel brackets like above- yes dont over tighten. I like to coat the bottom of the bolt with some sort of wax or car wax paste. Like 1/16” thick (or more) this way when it mushes out it protect the chrome and lets you know to stop. Tooth brush to clean when it gets hard.

I noticed all ten bumper bolts have flat washers and lock washers. What I find strange is that the bumper bolt corresponding nuts seem to have an interference fit (unless most of the threads are damaged) which leads me to believe the factory nuts are also some type of self-locking fasteners.

If so, some engineer was extremely concerned about the possibility of the bumpers falling off on the highway!

-
Back