Early A Centerlink Question

-

TMP67

Reaction score
Is the dropped V8 center link on the early A body the same width as the straight 6 cylinder version? I swapped one into my 64 and discovered the V8 link is wider then the original 6cyl. link. I'm thinking this one may actually be off of a 67-72 A body (?)

Thanks in advance! :)

The center to center width between the inner tie rod holes on the links are 21"- 6cyl and 22 3/8" - V8

Had the same problem. Bought a center link for "66-72" a body v-8. It was too wide and the LH inner tie rod hit the torsion bar. I put the original /6 link back in and if I have to I will bash the pan on the 360 to fit it. I was going off the scumacher install book for /6 to 360 and it said to swap in a 66-72 v-8 centerlink but it did not work for me.

I run the /6 link in my car and I have about an 3/4" clearance with the Milodon street/strip pan. Before the Milodon pan I was using a '69 "C" body pan and I had about the same clearance. (I am running a 340)

I did the swap in my dart, and had to use the early V8 centerlink, not the later as it is wider hole to hole. Set them next to each other and you will see about an 1 1/2 difference. Just enough so you can't adjust the tie-rods and have any adjustment left on one side to make them even. I ran across the same problem when I did the motor swap. Plus the early v8 pan has an extra dimple on the drivers side to help clear the pitman arm. I banged my head against the wall for a while about the centerlink thing till I had all three types side by side. Early slant six drop is shallow and narrow, early v8 is narrow and deep, later v8 is deeper and wider<---reminds me of a girl I once knew.

64dartwagon said:
I did the swap in my dart, and had to use the early V8 centerlink, not the later as it is wider hole to hole. Set them next to each other and you will see about an 1 1/2 difference. Just enough so you can't adjust the tie-rods and have any adjustment left on one side to make them even. I ran across the same problem when I did the motor swap. Plus the early v8 pan has an extra dimple on the drivers side to help clear the pitman arm. I banged my head against the wall for a while about the centerlink thing till I had all three types side by side. Early slant six drop is shallow and narrow, early v8 is narrow and deep, later v8 is deeper and wider<---reminds me of a girl I once knew.

64dartwagon, this is the same problem I am running into, dropped centerlink is 1 3/8" wider and no adjustment left on tie rods. Of your three center links is the early slant six and early V8 the same length? The light just came on, this link was supposedly out of a 66', I just noticed 66dartman's post of the 66-72 style link, I thought the 66' would still be the narrow body stuff (?)Thanks!

The early v8 is from 64-66 only. 67-up is wider just like the car and everything else. The v8 was not available till 64 not 63 like some will say. The early v8 is only deeper not wider. I wish I had taken a pic when I had them laid out. So basically here is how it is from what I know.

63-66 /6 is narrow with a shallow drop
64-66 v8 is narrow with a deep drop tie rod holes in same spot as /6 just deeper center
67-up v8 is wider overall by about 1 1/2" bringing tie rod holes out farther than earlier narrow chassis and has the deeper drop
67-up /6? I don't know offhand as I didn't have one at the time to compare

Actually, most all 66 "A" bodies used the dropped link, six or eight. Might have been some early production six cyl cars, that did get the six cyl link. The link did change length between 66 and 67.

I had a 65 Dart factory slant six car with the drop center link in it. My 64 got a center link out of a 65 V8 cuda.

Lee

-
Back