Early A hood scoop?

-

chrygore

Reaction score
Hello everybody. Been pondering a long time a nice-looking Mopar hood scoop for my 65 signet two-door hardtop....
Personally, I don't think six pack type hood scoops are really appropriate for the early A's, I think they end up looking "tacked on" - please no offense to anyone, not looking to start a fight. I just don't think that they flow very well with the lines of these cars.
Would it be possible for anyone to please post a picture of their early A and their hood scoops so that I might be able to judge a little better what might work for me?. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thank you very much in advance .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 911
Chrygore

Mopar {PlymouthDodge} had a proto-type hood scoop designed back
in 1965 for the A-Body.

It was a smaller version of the 1963/1964 Max-Wedge Hood scoop with
the recessed-channel going down the center of the scoop.

A 'low-profile' scoop. which was 80% of the size of the 1963/1964
Max Wedge Scoop.

Here are the specs of the '1965' A-Body Hood Scoop.

Length .............. 24"
Width {Front} .... 17"
Width {Back} ..... 16"
Height ............... 2.0" {Under the '2' Scoop Openings}
Height ............... 1.4" {Under the Center-Channel Divider}

It looked great on the 1965 and 1966 > Dart's and Valiant's.

Low-Profile and Clean.

Hello everybody. Been pondering a long time a nice-looking Mopar hood scoop for my 65 signet two-door hardtop....
Personally, I don't think six pack type hood scoops are really appropriate for the early A's, I think they end up looking "tacked on" - please no offense to anyone, not looking to start a fight. I just don't think that they flow very well with the lines of these cars.
Would it be possible for anyone to please post a picture of their early A and their hood scoops so that I might be able to judge a little better what might work for me?. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thank you very much in advance .

Your car looks awesome just the way it is....I wouldn't put any scoop on that car....love it :prayer:

My vote as well, No scoop, I hope I don't have to use one on my 66 Valiant sedan but if I do !! I don't know still to this day

I know people consider it a ford scoop but I think a teardrop scoop would look good and be period correct for your car. I remember seeing them shoe box novas, falcons, early barracudas as well as many other cars back in the late sixties.

I know people consider it a ford scoop but I think a teardrop scoop would look good and be period correct for your car. I remember seeing them shoe box novas, falcons, early barracudas as well as many other cars back in the late sixties.

A 'Ford' scoop.

Now go wash your mouth out with soap. And don't let me hear you mention that
ever again.

like the other guy said, max wedge scoop is the only one that would possibly look right! to me....

the car is kik-a$$ just like it is. I wouldn`t have put a scoop on mine if I hadn`t needed the clearance.:coffee2:

the car is kik-a$$ just like it is. I wouldn`t have put a scoop on mine if I hadn`t needed the clearance.:coffee2:

I had a 68 SS Hemi hood scoop on my 64 Valiant wagon- 340 with 4 speed in 1970- loved it

But I have 2 65 signets now- and I agree with most of the comments- looks great as is
But - it is your car....

This is Larry at Sled City Fiberglass, and at the Mopar Nationals, people buy the 66-67 Hemi scoop and the 68 Hemi scoop for your model of car. Right now we are building a new scoop that will work great on your car and many others, including Dodge Rams, and it is Mopar orientated, and I know it will sell off the charts. We are just about finished with the plug and then we will mold from that. It is one bad azz scoop and also a bolt on like my other scoops. Keep in touch with me on this scoop.

This is Larry at Sled City Fiberglass, and at the Mopar Nationals, people buy the 66-67 Hemi scoop and the 68 Hemi scoop for your model of car. Right now we are building a new scoop that will work great on your car and many others, including Dodge Rams, and it is Mopar orientated, and I know it will sell off the charts. We are just about finished with the plug and then we will mold from that. It is one bad azz scoop and also a bolt on like my other scoops. Keep in touch with me on this scoop.

Interested to see it when done.

The Max Wedge scoop is a favorite of mine, so a smaller version for the early A would be killer IMO. Would love see a photo of one on a Valiant like yours. BTW, your Valiant is phenomenal and I would be the last one to try to talk you out of a scoop.

Keep us posted.

Here's a few scoop photos I have on file. Your choice except for a cowl induction scoop. It will turn your Mopar into a Chevy. lol

Attachments

• Valiant launch @ Meltdown '12-2.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 592
  • 1499441_456134311158134_875321765_n.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 601
  • 1469992_447132618724970_1893072189_n.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 568
  • 601501_225991777547654_354353175_n.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 585
  • 385186_2782167129157_37170987_n.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 605
  • 308421_198840840266047_777766951_n.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 613
  • 6670_234902676656564_1842437564_n.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 670
  • 66drag3.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 620
  • _YOK8193_copy[2].jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 687
Thx to all for the reply's and for the positive words. Still have not seen a scoop that contributes more to the unique ( homely?) lines of these cars and doesn't end looking "out of place" (I M Opinion) however , I think this particular brand of homeliness adds a certain amount of character to them as well....
The max wedge scoop looks kind of interesting, wish I could see it on a hood in the same color as the rest of the car.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 545
Here is a different twist for ya !! A young man I know and his father grafted these scoops from a 70-74 Cuda onto this 65 Barracuda. I personally think it's pretty slick.

Attachments

• trophy jake.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 540
-
Back