Early A interest.

-

mycuda

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I will say it seems like there's more people Reviving these early a cars recently. I think that's totally awesome
Including myself.
When I got my 65 convertible Dart Project 4speed Magnum swap last year, at the time didnt think I'd be into it like 67 up cars.It's been growing on me.
And most parts arent being reproduced
makes it even more unique.

Nice job FABO members.

Same here. I have always had 68, 69 Coronets and Chargers before I got my 66 barracuda, now I love my a-body. I do wish more reproduction parts were available but I understand the Supply and Demand theory of things.

I was going to reassemble and sell my ‘65. But the GF and her kids liked it and said they wanted me to keep it. So I’m now working on it to keep. I thought it was a cool car but not quick or “fun”. So I’m fixing that.

I like My 65 -- That' a 318.
Valiant - 12-12-18 - 4.JPG
New - 273 Decal.JPG

I had been wanting a 64 or 65 Barracuda for over a year, and finally found one in GA last summer. It's a 4 bbl 65 Commando car, but has a 360 in it now. It's cobbled to hell and back, so I'm gonna fix all that and just make it a driver instead of a show car. It was originally Baby blue, but I'm going to paint it either B3 blue, or silver.....haven't decided yet.
IMG_0460.JPG

I had been wanting a 64 or 65 Barracuda for over a year, and finally found one in GA last summer. It's a 4 bbl 65 Commando car, but has a 360 in it now. It's cobbled to hell and back, so I'm gonna fix all that and just make it a driver instead of a show car. It was originally Baby blue, but I'm going to paint it either B3 blue, or silver.....haven't decided yet. View attachment 1715267535
Love the patina.

I started my Mopar obsession with 67-72 A bodies and at that time I never liked the earlier cars because they seemed less solid and cheaply made.
I used to say I would never buy an early A...… but this valiant wagon changed all that. So much that I almost want another.
The Duster is still by far my favorite car (especially 73-6) but my collection has grown to have more variety now with the addition of the early A :)

20181227_143756.jpg

I always preferred Dusters and Demons, and the '67+ Dart/Valiant. I pretty much couldn't stand early darts. then about 7 yrs ago, I was broke but stumbled across a pile of a '64 dart for $500. I figured I'd play with it a few months and flip it. Now I'm a die-hard early A guy!!!

IMG_20180904_190220.jpg

I myself love driving them, I've had 2 1970 340 Dart Swingers, and a 70 Duster 340. Plus a Bunch of stuff with bow ties on em. (not real proud of that). But when I got my 64 Dart GT and drove it around the first summer that I owned it, I fell in love with the way they feel driving. Not that it was any real performer or anything, but just the way that the car wraps itself around you when you are in it. Now that I put some performance oriented parts (273 4-bbl, 4-speed, and a few other enhancements) in it, I wouldn't trade it for any 1970 a-body!

I had been wanting a 64 or 65 Barracuda for over a year, and finally found one in GA last summer. It's a 4 bbl 65 Commando car, but has a 360 in it now. It's cobbled to hell and back, so I'm gonna fix all that and just make it a driver instead of a show car. It was originally Baby blue, but I'm going to paint it either B3 blue, or silver.....haven't decided yet. View attachment 1715267535
Thanks. and fn nice

20180821_145116.jpg
Thanks. That pic was from 40’ away. Up close,it looks like somebody painted it with a top broken out of a pine tree! LOL
You haven't seen mine up close. Lol At least I got the quarters done this year.

Last edited:
My first car was a used '65 Valiant four-door back in 1973 ($125.00). I always considered it a sleeper and the epitome of my first childhood book "The Little Engine That Could" ... I think I can, i think I can, I think I can. Swapped in a four-speed and it became my bracket racer.

Last edited:
My first two A-bodies were '66s. First a '66 Dart GT (273 two barrel, console auto, AC) followed by a '66 Barracuda (Commando, four speed, console, disc brakes, handling package). Sold the Barracuda to buy a family car in 1985 because we already had the '68 GTS convertible and I was wanting to get a '67 Dart GT to do a big block swap into. Still like the early A-bodies, but likely won't own another.

I love the early A cars. I really love the smaller car look. Here are my 2 65 darts. One is my street/strip project and the other is my driver.

D7554ECC-DABB-4520-86B0-F70A9C8B832B.jpeg

4203E7DF-1C9E-47EC-9C06-FF2EEAE9A096.jpeg

I will say it seems like there's more people Reviving these early a cars recently. I think that's totally awesome
Including myself.
When I got my 65 convertible Dart Project 4speed Magnum swap last year, at the time didnt think I'd be into it like 67 up cars.It's been growing on me.

Nice job FABO members.
I love my 66 dart convertible. I had a 66 dart convertible back in high school as my first car I had ever bought. When I found this one I just had to have it (in my price range of cheap and really cheap) I don't mind a little work since I semi retired, but it proved to be a LOT of work. Good thing is I actually relaxed working on the car and had fun doing it. if I ever get to finish it that is. too many projects making parts FOR the car and not enough time working ON the car again.

here is before I started working on it (just opening up the can of worms )
DSCF1382.JPG

and here is where I'm at now while rebuilding the engine and transmission it took 7 months for that darn door seal to get into the correct alignment. that pic was a week into door seal replacement. and trying to figure out how to finalize my rear seat belt setup with the sebring seats.

DSCF3804.JPG

I've always been a 67-69 Abody guy. My parents brought me home from the hospital in a ‘68 Gts 340. I’ve always wanted to clone it. I’ve had a ‘68 2dr post dart and a ‘68 GTS 340 convert clone in the past. I wanted a cheap old car that the kids, gf and I all fit into. The gf doesn’t like the 67-69 Abodies. We were going back and forth on different cars. I ended up with a ‘48 Plymouth coupe. I collected most of the parts to put it together including a 5.7hemi and C4 suspension f&r. It had amazing patina! Then the realization of how much of a project it was going to be sit in. Because of that (along with my other projects) I sold it. We saw a ‘65 Valiant convert one day and she loved it! I found the Beater and bought it. Has taken some work to get it road worthy. At first I was kinda not feeling it but, everyone else liked it, so I figured I would live with it. Lol. After getting it running and driving...I love it! The 273/4spd combo is a blast to drive! The funny thing about it is no one knows what it is!!

66667207-65D4-419B-9D25-BE3A9C4BDCD5.jpeg

B0DC1615-ABF0-462E-883D-BAEE19A44FC8.jpeg

Last edited:
Including myself.

Nice job FABO members.

I've had my 66 Barracuda for about oh 30 years now. 3k miles on it because it never quite sat right on me. When I was getting a divorce I started on the "i'm selling that car" route.
While trying to get ready for Carlisle- a female I met just before said she would give me a hand to get it ready for sale. While working on it she told me how "cool" it was and I should not sell it because it would be awesome. Well almost ten years later I just married that female and never sold it. I have a new appreciation for the car and the last 2 years have spent more time and money on it than I care to want to say.

Also, they are becoming more popular because lets face it the 67-76 cars are getting harder to come by and so early A's are gaining in popularity.
As for My 72' 340 4 speed Demon... I hate driving it because everyone is telling me when I stop, what to build it as and or want to race me. I cannot take it out for a causal drive because of it. The Barracuda on the other hand...everyone tells me of their story of a Valiant they owned or a slant six they had and what they put it thru. All good vibes man. Never anything bad. Glad I kept the car. Many many more memories to be had in her.
Joe

I've had my 66 Barracuda for about oh 30 years now. 3k miles on it because it never quite sat right on me. When I was getting a divorce I started on the "i'm selling that car" route.
While trying to get ready for Carlisle- a female I met just before said she would give me a hand to get it ready for sale. While working on it she told me how "cool" it was and I should not sell it because it would be awesome. Well almost ten years later I just married that female and never sold it. I have a new appreciation for the car and the last 2 years have spent more time and money on it than I care to want to say.

Also, they are becoming more popular because lets face it the 67-76 cars are getting harder to come by and so early A's are gaining in popularity.
As for My 72' 340 4 speed Demon... I hate driving it because everyone is telling me when I stop, what to build it as and or want to race me. I cannot take it out for a causal drive because of it. The Barracuda on the other hand...everyone tells me of their story of a Valiant they owned or a slant six they had and what they put it thru. All good vibes man. Never anything bad. Glad I kept the car. Many many more memories to be had in her.
Joe

Very cool story and decision.
Your lucky.
The only female in my life that wants anything to do with an old car is my yellow lab.....

-
Back