Early A Trunk Quarter Panel "Abyss"

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Does anyone stuff something in the cracks on either side of the trunk were all kinds of junk drop inside, never to be seen again? I was thinking about placing something like sponges to act as a kind of a "filler" (would not only prevent small items from hitting bottom but would soak up any real moisture and let it evaporate to the ambient air).

IMG_0346.jpg

IMG_0347.jpg

Some cars have bitumen panels that cover that area, they overlap and screws to the edge of the floor section. A steel panel done the same that finishes just short of the 1/4 panel would be better.

Some cars have bitumen panels that cover that area, they overlap and screws to the edge of the floor section. A steel panel done the same that finishes just short of the 1/4 panel would be better.

The 74-76 Dart SE and Valiant Brougham have sound deadening and carpet that covers over that area, don't know if anyone reproduces that but it takes care of the problem...

Sheet metal removed looking up into the trunk, expandable foam with a screwdriver, rope and hardware cloth reinforcement. :rofl:

upload_2022-1-1_17-22-2.jpeg

I'm looking to do something similar to one of my cars too. I remember seeing them on an early B or C body. They weren't a sponge or anything solid, it was more like a heavy cardboard panel over a couple of brackets that went down into the crack. I'm thinking of making a couple of pieces of styrofoam stands shaped to fit the quarter panel and glue them to a flat fiberboard panel that would fit even with the top of the trunk floor. Then a carpet pad over the top of everything. I wouldn't want anything absorbent down in the quarter panel.

If you ever used a paper towel to wipe up something wet and forgot to pick it up, the next day it will be dry again ready to absorb more moisture. That would be the idea of something absorbent, it would wick away the moisture and then it would air dry. My theory anyway.

On my 76 Aspen I user rigid foam insulation board. You know the foil faced stuff.Used 1 in thick stuff and cut it to a tight fit then caulked it around the edges . Got tired of loosing things thru the rusted out quarters. It worked real well and actually looks decent when I open the trunk. Also stopped the problem of my brake lights taking a crap from water and road salt in winter .

-
Back