Early Barracuda windshield gaskets

-

Michael Brisebois

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My 66 has the front & rear glass pulled now, so a few issues can be fixed. Now I'm looking at the next step...installing the glass again.

Has anyone any valuable info to share? A gasket manufacturer to recommend perhaps?
I'm not the most experienced with windshield gaskets and the back glass makes me uneasy.

My 66 has the front & rear glass pulled now, so a few issues can be fixed. Now I'm looking at the next step...installing the glass again.

Has anyone any valuable info to share? A gasket manufacturer to recommend perhaps?
I'm not the most experienced with windshield gaskets and the back glass makes me uneasy.

Google installing windshield using a rope.Did mine on my Dart by myself. Your back window would scare me too. See Just Mopars for gaskets.

Use the rope method on both as #Backintime stated...make sure you have a lot of excess where your rope ends overlap. I always use a small rope so when I pull it helps the seating. To Big and your gasket won’t overlap the pichweld correctly. Use a good lubricant before you install the rope, start at the bottom on both glasses...try and get a bottom corner started first...pull one end of the rope so it will open up the gasket and start working your way around the entire glass. NEVER hit the front windshield to make it try and make it seat...the back glass is more forgiving and you may have to wrap the rope twice to aid in the seating of something that large.

When you get your new gaskets let them lay out for a day or so they’ll be more manageable and hug the glasses better.

This is what I learned from mine.... There's only one manufacturer of the gaskets. That's Precision Precision Premium Automotive Glass Parts | Automotive Parts .

All the vendors do is resell this same gasket, so go for the best deal/delivery. I found that DMT has the best bang for the buck as they include the locking strip. They were giving a good discount to offset shipping too.

Mopar A Body 63-66 Barracuda Dart Valiant Windshield Gasket Seal with Locking Strip Trim
Mopar A Body 64-66 Barracuda REAR WINDOW Gasket Seal with Locking Strip Trim

I haven't done mine yet... This week hopefully.... I've been looking around and I found this video... Yea, it's a Chevy truck, although the method and type of gasket is the same. FWIW, the Precision locking strip is the same part number for the Chevy truck and the Barracuda.

It is the same way I've done early 60's Dodge trucks with a very similar gasket. I've never used a rope for this style though, I always figured that the rope method was for gaskets that didn't have a locking strip and were installed on the glass before putting it in the car.

My wife and I installed the windshield on our 66 Barracuda. The windshield and seal dropped right in. The locking strip was what took the most man handling. I pushed the lock down and the wife worked the lips of the seal over the locking strip. The windshield and seal will sit in the car but not necessarily in the right position. I found I had to keep an eye on what the seal was doing while installing the locking strip. At one point the seal was farther inside the car than it should have been.
I am not sure how you can use rope as the locking strip would need two ropes one on the top and one on the bottom to get it to work. But there might be a way but i cant picture it.
I guess we could have put the locking strip on first.
My wife said it wasn't fun at all and she never wants to do it again lol.

My wife and I installed the windshield on our 66 Barracuda. The windshield and seal dropped right in. The locking strip was what took the most man handling. I pushed the lock down and the wife worked the lips of the seal over the locking strip. The windshield and seal will sit in the car but not necessarily in the right position. I found I had to keep an eye on what the seal was doing while installing the locking strip. At one point the seal was farther inside the car than it should have been.
I am not sure how you can use rope as the locking strip would need two ropes one on the top and one on the bottom to get it to work. But there might be a way but i cant picture it.
One of these will help a lot with the lock strip.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N006N0D/?tag=joeychgo-20
716%2BKiwek1L._SL1500_.jpg

I guess we could have put the locking strip on first.

Using the rope trick has nothing to do with the locking strip. It's used to help get the seal over the pinch weld.The locking strip goes in after the window and seal install with the above tool.

Did my windshield today. I laid the gasket in the opening, taping it to the top and sides. I laid the windshield in, using a plastic pry tool to get the lip of the gasket over the windshield. I put masking tape around the edge to help keep everything clean. I then peeled the outside of the gasket back a little and put some 3M 8509 in the gap at the pinch weld. Then I installed the locking strip with the tool I posted above.

I had two issues, one is I let the gasket droop a bit in the top center and that made it difficult to get the lip of the gasket over the windshield. In hindsight, that should have been taped up a little better. The other was pretty stupid... The little piece that covers the butt ends of the locking strip got dropped down the cowl vent.... I had to take the driver side vent out to get it. I covered the cowl with masking tape before going on. All else went according to plan. The locking strip tool worked perfectly once I remembered the technique.

Cleaned the excess 8509 with some mineral spirits.

Now the back window.....

I used a plastic spudger (guitar pick and another plastic blade type thing) and Go-jo hand cleaner as the lube and i just worked the gasket over the window an inch at a time. Sometimes I got a few inches with a pulling technique but then Id lose it. Take your time, itll go in. The rear was not too bad either, lay it up and start at the top. once you get the top 'in' then you can put some pressure on the back and the sides will start to pull into place. The window sort of sucks itself in once the lip is 100% over the window. And dont be afraid to apply some pressure on top of that thing, its stronger than you think. Just dont hit it with a broken spark plug.....Its like a headliner. Do it once and you'll never want to do it again.

Did my windshield today. I laid the gasket in the opening, taping it to the top and sides. I laid the windshield in, using a plastic pry tool to get the lip of the gasket over the windshield. I put masking tape around the edge to help keep everything clean. I then peeled the outside of the gasket back a little and put some 3M 8509 in the gap at the pinch weld. Then I installed the locking strip with the tool I posted above.

I had two issues, one is I let the gasket droop a bit in the top center and that made it difficult to get the lip of the gasket over the windshield. In hindsight, that should have been taped up a little better. The other was pretty stupid... The little piece that covers the butt ends of the locking strip got dropped down the cowl vent.... I had to take the driver side vent out to get it. I covered the cowl with masking tape before going on. All else went according to plan. The locking strip tool worked perfectly once I remembered the technique.

Cleaned the excess 8509 with some mineral spirits.

Now the back window.....

I did the back window myself, it’s not as bad as one would expect!

I did the back window myself, it’s not as bad as one would expect!
Yea, I don't think it will be too bad. The size of it bothers me the most. I've done quite a few windshields (BTW, none have ever leaked) and they are pretty easy. I bought some suction cup handles that ought to make it easier, but I'm not going to be able to do this alone like I always have windshields and normal back windows.

Using the rope trick has nothing to do with the locking strip. It's used to help get the seal over the pinch weld.The locking strip goes in after the window and seal install with the above tool.

Crap.... I must have installed all my windshields wrong (at least the ones with gaskets and lock strip) then. I put the windshield in the gasket, installed lock strip and used the rope to finish the install. I have done this on my 63,64,65,66 darts, 88 dodge ram d250 and my 92 d250 diesel. and am getting ready to purchase a new windshield for my current 66 dart that I also will do the same way. no I have never broken one putting it in this way either, But I did Some warranty install work when I was a Furnace heat treat controller for Chryslers McGraw Glass plant that made those pieces of glass and know just how much and what type of abuse you can do to a windshield and what NOT to do.

Crap.... I must have installed all my windshields wrong (at least the ones with gaskets and lock strip) then. I put the windshield in the gasket, installed lock strip and used the rope to finish the install. I have done this on my 63,64,65,66 darts, 88 dodge ram d250 and my 92 d250 diesel. and am getting ready to purchase a new windshield for my current 66 dart that I also will do the same way. no I have never broken one putting it in this way either, But I did Some warranty install work when I was a Furnace heat treat controller for Chryslers McGraw Glass plant that made those pieces of glass and know just how much and what type of abuse you can do to a windshield and what NOT to do.

Well we are never too old to learn. You may have just taught me a new way to do it. I can easily see how your method would work great.

On all the gaskets I’ve done, with this type of gasket use a small rope and liquid dish detergent as a lubricant.

Easy to wash off and not harmful for the paint. I prefer Dawn detergent.
Joe

-
Back