Early style sb water pumps

-

Blackhatguy

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Does anyone make an aluminum version of the early, drivers side hose water pump? I wasted hours on the googler over this...

Well that sucks but oh well I suppose. I just didn't want extra weight if there was an option. I'd do the aluminum heads too if I could afford them right now.

Yeah, I would like to find a source also, but gave up the chase, and buy quality new ones.
If you find a source let us know.
Dave

Sorry to sound ignorant, but whats the difference between the early and late?

64 to 69 was generally made out of cast iron and has the inlet on the driver side. 70 and up is generally made out of aluminum and has the inlet on the passenger side.

I have a brand new GMB aluminum water pump that I bought for my 360, but I'm using the 318 timing cover. The aluminum pump is to thick so my pulleys don't line up. Bought a new cast iron unit and now they line up, but my timing marks are on the wrong side as is the inlet for the rad hoses.

That's exactly the problem I was going to have, you can't mix and match parts from pre 69 and post 69. The water pump snouts are different lengths between the cast early and aluminum lates

... you can't mix and match parts from pre 69 and post 69. The water pump snouts are different lengths between the cast early and aluminum...
I did, but not advised. Yes, the aluminum pump is ~1" thicker. I had to get creative with pulleys and belts, and no way to fit a clutch-fan. I went that way because a neophyte and bought the only radiator they listed at Autozone (for ~1972) and picked the aluminum pump to match the radiator, plus it was half the cost and I thought less corrosion since bolting an iron pump to an aluminum timing cover to an iron block = "battery". Good that I removed the timing cover to change the camshaft since I found it was almost corroded thru (leaks coolant into crankcase).

Besides cost, the downside of aluminum heads is more risk of warpage and head gasket leaks, but most cars have had that w/ iron blocks for 30 years. The early slant six was a rare reverse - aluminum block with iron head.

I have a brand new GMB aluminum water pump that I bought for my 360, but I'm using the 318 timing cover. The aluminum pump is to thick so my pulleys don't line up. Bought a new cast iron unit and now they line up, but my timing marks are on the wrong side as is the inlet for the rad hoses.
Mopar Performance Timing Tape P4529070AB

i usually spray some rattle can clear over the top of this. makes it last a long time. also, i had a radiator shop move the inlet to the other side once. worked fine

Early Cast Iron water pump = 8 pounds

Late Aluminum water pump = 5.4 pounds

So, to change front cover, vibration damper, radiator, hoses, intake, and brackets for 2.6 pounds?

So, to change front cover, vibration damper, radiator, hoses, intake, and brackets for 2.6 pounds?
Think you're missing the point bro, I'm not trying to change a bunch of stuff. I'm building a motor from scratch and when it comes to buying stuff I would have rather had the option of buying an aluminum early style pump. That was the point I was trying to make how about them in the first place, that there is simply no one who makes the early style in aluminum.

You should read the story of Jimmy Addison and the silver bullet. He spent hours with the hole saw, cutting holes wherever they would not show. He also would trim off any excess threads of every bolt, and even cut the auto brake pedal in 1/2 just to save weight! In the end, I believe he cut over 200# doing just these examples, including over 30# of excess threads from bolts and studs!

Think you're missing the point bro, I'm not trying to change a bunch of stuff. I'm building a motor from scratch and when it comes to buying stuff I would have rather had the option of buying an aluminum early style pump. That was the point I was trying to make how about them in the first place, that there is simply no one who makes the early style in aluminum.

Not missing the point, That is how much weight difference there is between water pumps. Don't hold your breath waiting for someone to cast that housing in aluminum.

You should read the story of Jimmy Addison and the silver bullet. He spent hours with the hole saw, cutting holes wherever they would not show. He also would trim off any excess threads of every bolt, and even cut the auto brake pedal in 1/2 just to save weight! In the end, I believe he cut over 200# doing just these examples, including over 30# of excess threads from bolts and studs!

I have seen those cars and am not into race cars, although I have been around them for 40 years. I am practical and have had many cars with early and late water pump systems. Just not that much weight to worry about. Heck, we even drilled bolts down the center, used titanium, aluminum, and plastic bolts or rivets. Race cars are a purpose built vehicle and not much good outside a 1/4 mile.

-
Back