Early Variable and Single Speed Motors... The Same?

-

eekvonzipper

My Member is Legendary!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Can I rebuild This Variable-Speed Motor Myself?
It Hangs up and makes a Growling Noise at the Park Position...
Motor Sounds Fine with No Load at any speed...
Hooked to the Linkage it makes One Spin and then goes...
Grrrrrroooooooowwwwwl and stops turning.
I can force it to work with my hand helping the linkage.
I found an almost similar crappy used part on Fee-Bay for $80 bucks (Says Single Speed)
It Has a 186 Stamp under the Part Number.
I saw another w/ an 074 Stamp. What Gives?
Mine has a 195 Stamp.
I may have a Stripped Gear in mine. Will they interchange?
Will it Self-Destruct if I open it up?

front.jpg

back.jpg

num.jpg

186.jpg

Last edited:
Everything is different between single and variable wiper assemblies, switch, linkage and motors. 63 is different than 64-66. The cars I have worked on had the wiring for both style. 67 and up I don't believe used variable.

Now how do we know what your abilities are? My crystal ball is broken, remember? lol

Now how do we know what your abilities are? My crystal ball is broken, remember? lol
My Abilities? Well, I did transform This Shell into this Car in about 4 months and worked 48hrs a week while i did it... (April to August)
The Wipers are the last detail to get it to Pass Inspection.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Transform into what? Lol! Just playing.

I had mine (variable speed wiper)rebuilt by an alternator and starter rebuilder. Did a nice job. Plugged it in and it did the same as yours. After swapping out the motor twice because all electrical (wiring and what it did wire by wire) was good… I found the ground on the switch was not good. The dash board was repainted and prevented the ground from making contact (sorry 1966) once it was cleaned it worked fine, did not stop and was quiet as a church mouse. I hope yours is as easy of a fix.

Transform into what? Lol! Just playing.

I had mine (variable speed wiper)rebuilt by an alternator and starter rebuilder. Did a nice job. Plugged it in and it did the same as yours. After swapping out the motor twice because all electrical (wiring and what it did wire by wire) was good… I found the ground on the switch was not good. The dash board was repainted and prevented the ground from making contact (sorry 1966) once it was cleaned it worked fine, did not stop and was quiet as a church mouse. I hope yours is as easy of a fix.
Very Likely, My Dash was painted inside and out. I opened the Housing and the Gear is not stripped.
Weird tho, I got caught in the rain on Tuesday and they worked fine... Almost home it started hanging up. Ground could be okay too? I'm Fanatical about Grounds.

kgjhg.jpg

Switch Looks Good too... I seem to remember scraping the paint off around the mount hole there. I'm gonna pull it out and check tho

switch.jpg

The 185 and 196 are the date code stampings.

You didnt waste your time. You learned something new on disassembly.

The 185 and 196 are the date code stampings.

You didnt waste your time. You learned something new on disassembly.
Yeah, and Assembly Too! I had to get medieval on the Brushes to get them back on the comms...
I drilled them both for reassembly.

drills.jpg

Try making a long temporary jumper wire that goes from the ground at the switch, all the way to the negative battery terminal. If that fixes it, you are losing the ground somewhere between the switch and the body. Check then to see if the negative battery cable to body ground is making a good connection at both ends. If you had the dash frame out of the car to paint it, loosen the bolts up that secure the bottom legs of the dash frame to the kick panel/door jamb area. Shine both the back side of the dash frame leg where the bolt goes thru and the metal under it on the body side until you get to bare metal. Put some dielectric grease between those 2 pieces and bolt it back together and see if it gets a ground without the temp jumper in place. Bad grounds can cause some :realcrazy: problems. First car I ever restored was a Superbird and I got a good education about painted over grounding points on that car! :BangHead: Good luck to you and hang in there.....you'll get it fixed.

I just put the car back together... I put the arms on while the linkage was parked.
Got caught in the rain on Tuesday, they worked fine for about 5 minutes.
I Will take your advice and check them again tho. Thanx!

Last edited:
-
Back