Easiest way to remove instrument cluster?

-

mghikas

Reaction score
Hi guys,
What’s the easiest way to get the instrument cluster out?
I’ve undone the 6 screws and there’s a fair bit of movement, I don’t want to force it out.
Should I drop steering column?
Thanks for your help
Mike

31476EA5-2C08-4C03-98A3-56D532AAC18B.jpeg

image.jpg

Also reach up underneath and detach the speedometer cable, and headlight switch. You can download the factory repair manuals for free with all of the instructions at mymopar.com

Yes, you can just loosen the two nuts on the underside of the column and it will drop down a little. You don't have to push it down to far. Then make sure you carefully disconnect any wire connection and the speedo cable from the back side and it will come out. Don't force it out. It's old plastic

Be very careful not to scratch the column or the dash when you take it out. It’s very easy to do

In addition to the above, UNHOOK THE BATTERY GROUND

With the column dropped, and speedo unhooked, work the top outwards. Sometimes you can get your hand in there and disconnect the harness, work the top out some more and unbolt the ammeter terminals.

Sometimes there is enough slack. Sort of "fold" the top out and down, with the bottom "like a hinge," then pull up and out. The bottom of the cluster/ speedo hangs down below the opening

In addition to the above, UNHOOK THE BATTERY GROUND

With the column dropped, and speedo unhooked, work the top outwards. Sometimes you can get your hand in there and disconnect the harness, work the top out some more and unbolt the ammeter terminals.

Sometimes there is enough slack. Sort of "fold" the top out and down, with the bottom "like a hinge," then pull up and out. The bottom of the cluster/ speedo hangs down below the opening
GOOD call !! Should be step 1

I agree to unhook battery ground first. I not only drop the steering column, I also remove the steering wheel so it's out of the way. Some people will say it's not necessary but I find it's way easier.

The two under the white plastic spacer things. The other 4 attach the mounting bracket to the column.

An old Chamois for drying the car works well to protect painted surfaces or tinted glass from scratches during removal/install.

Thanks for all the help so far, ive removed the 2 nuts and found another bolt further down the column that ive removed also, but the column won't budge
Is there a particular way to get it to move?
Cheers

Probably just hanging up on the threads.Might need to tug it a bit should drop an inch or so.

Did you remove the star washers under the 2 nuts with the insulators? They are threaded onto the studs and need to be spun off.

Thanks guys cluster is out
Now to figure out how to access the temp gauge so I can replace it.....

Thanks guys cluster is out
Now to figure out how to access the temp gauge so I can replace it.....
What do I need to remove to access temp gauge, I’ve undone all screws, I think the wiper switch and headlight switch are holding it together now but no idea how to remove them.....

image.jpg

Wiper switch knob should pull off. See the little button on the side of the headlight switch? Push that and the knob and shaft should come out. Then remove the bezels's that screw onto them.

Thanks everyone for your awesome help yet again, got it all off and my temp gauge replaced, let’s hope it all works when I put it back together

Now might be a good time to do some things to lessen the chances of needing to remove it again. Like clean all of the instrument light contact points with some steel wool, replace all of the bulbs, upgrade them to LED if desired, clean and polish the clear cover with plastic polish, replace the gauge voltage limiter with a solid state one, and bench test the assembly before install.

Now might be a good time to do some things to lessen the chances of needing to remove it again. Like clean all of the instrument light contact points with some steel wool, replace all of the bulbs, upgrade them to LED if desired, clean and polish the clear cover with plastic polish, replace the gauge voltage limiter with a solid state one, and bench test the assembly before install.
And things that have nothing to do with the cluster... Windshield wiper assembly! Bushings, seals, add grease fittings to the pivots...

Hi guys,
What’s the easiest way to get the instrument cluster out?
I’ve undone the 6 screws and there’s a fair bit of movement, I don’t want to force it out.
Should I drop steering column?
Thanks for your help
Mike

View attachment 1715181769

View attachment 1715181770
Your going to have to reach up behind the cluster and disconnect the speedometer cable. Unhook the battery also. Once you press the clip the cable should come lose. Once you do that you can pull the cluster out far enough to unplug the harness. You will also need to take the two nuts off the back of the Amp meter. The wiper is a plug and the light switch has a little button on top of the box that you push to pull the handle out. You can then unscrew the retaining nut on the front. Let me know if you need more help. Make sure you disconnect the battery.

Hi guys, does anyone have the link for the thread that shows all the pictures of taking this style instrument cluster out? I recall seeing one that had helpful pictures of all the electrical connections in order of disassembly. I am having trouble finding it. Thanks!

-
Back