Easy Way to Remove E-Brake Cables Off Backing Plates

-

halifaxhops

It's going to get stupid around here!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
DSC03353 (1).JPG DSC03352.JPG DSC03351.JPG DSC03351 (1).JPG DSC03356 (1).JPG DSC03353 (1).JPG DSC03352.JPG DSC03351.JPG DSC03351 (1).JPG DSC03356 (1).JPG

Just get a wide old hose clamp.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the box end of a 14mm wrench and slide it over the shoe end of the cable down to the back plate.
Turn the wrench back and forth a little while pulling the cable and it pops loose.
A 9/16 is just a hair loose, but works with a little more persistence.

I always used a boxed end wrench. 7/16 if my memory serves.

I also use a box end wrench. Hose clamp is a great idea!
Bet next time i still use a wrench...

I know, I know, you don't need no frekin special tool to get the job done, but if your a special tool junkie like i am, and remove lotsa brake backing plates at the Pick-N-Pull wrecking yards, like i do, then LISLE makes a nifty special tool in removing the parking brake cable out of the backing plate.
I had to file one of the holes a bit larger, to fit and work on the Mopar cars and trucks we are used to.
And the tool is only a few dollars, so to purchase one, ain't gonna break the piggy bank, or deplete your bank account.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00396JQUC/?tag=joeychgo-20

Brake Cable Tool & Van 002 (Small).JPG

Last edited:
I'm looking for the plug to close off 1 of the holes in the rear backing plate on a 74 Duster. Plate has 2 holes, but 1 needed only for emergency brake cable. It's a 9/16 opening and no one has that size locally. Auto has assorted plugs, but not that size. Older plates had only 1 opening so could only use on right side and the other side had opposite for left side.

-
Back