Eaton Tru-Trac differential opinions?

-

sabre67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi all Looking at the Eaton tru-trac differential and if anyone has installed one in a 8 3/4 axle and if they had any opinions good or bad on the unit? Or should I just stay with a clutch type sure grip? Thanks for any opinions......sabre67

I have used mine for 8 years, 50/50 street/strip with slicks.
Never any problems. I would recommend it.

After I blew up a clutch type I went trutrac and never looked back.
Can't think of any complaints.
I bought one for the Dana 60 for when I do that swap.

Some say (YouTube) that theirs are noisy at slow speeds.Usually during turns.
May bother some,others not. That was the only thing I've found.
I installed it in my B Body. Yes it made noise.Noticed it at first,got used to it,hardly notice it anymore.

I have one in my 8 3/4". Makes zero noise. I bought mine for open track use. It works well and doesn't "lock" when you don't want it to.

Installed one in the wife’s’67 Cuda. Works great!
Some people have super sonic hearing (the wife does and never complained about it) and cry a river. I never heard anything.

@RustyRatRod knows a lot about rear ends. Oops, sorry, didn't mean it to sound like that.
He is a differential expert. There that's better!

@RustyRatRod knows a lot about rear ends. Oops, sorry, didn't mean it to sound like that.
He is a differential expert. There that's better!
Man that was just wrong. lol

I don't have any first hand experience with THESE, but OTR trucks have used a version of these for DECADES and they just don't tear up. Everybody in shops everywhere just hates them because they last forever. lol That oughtta say somethin.

Man that was just wrong. lol

I don't have any first hand experience with THESE, but OTR trucks have used a version of these for DECADES and they just don't tear up. Everybody in shops everywhere just hates them because they last forever. lol That oughtta say somethin.
I had a Dana 80 in my last tool truck. Not as tough as my Rockwell's in my other trucks. In 28 years, 5 trucks, and 850,000 miles, the Dana is the only one I had to have rebuilt.

I was lucky enough to win one on the Hot Rod Power Tour in 2005 for my 8 3/4. My oe clutch sure grip was on it's way out at the time so it was a good time to replace it. It was a great upgrade to my Dart, worked very well in 99% of the road conditions, with the only exception being in wet weather. I found that it worked a little too well in rain and required a bit more easing of the throttle, particularly when turning. Otherwise I had absolutely no complaints about it, worked excellent on the drag strip, with BFG drag radials or with my Cooper Cobra street rubber. Never noticed any noise from it, maybe those who have complaints about noise don't have it set up properly.
Just one more reason why I don't know why I sold that car.

I had a Dana 80 in my last tool truck. Not as tough as my Rockwell's in my other trucks. In 28 years, 5 trucks, and 850,000 miles, the Dana is the only one I had to have rebuilt.
Rockwell. Now there's a name. lol

Heck man, I'm impressed with my little 7 1/4 in the Valiant. I've seen them broken before, but how many millions didn't break? I have at least one. 58 years old. How many miles might it have on it? I've had it apart twice. Once to inspect it and replace seals and the second time doing the rear axle swap cause I was too cheap to buy gear oil. lol Both times it' still as tight as new. No play anywhere. People can ***** about them all they want. I'm impressed.

Hi all Looking at the Eaton tru-trac differential and if anyone has installed one in a 8 3/4 axle and if they had any opinions good or bad on the unit? Or should I just stay with a clutch type sure grip? Thanks for any opinions......sabre67
Jump over to Amazon and find one for sale. Look at the reviews. I know a lot of them are comedy shows, but you can pick out the real ones. Maybe that will help you out.

Thanks for all your help guys,its been very educational.Thanks FABO.......sabre67:thankyou:

I have them in the front and back of my square body…. with a full time transfer case… no noise out of either differential…. But on ice or snow covered roads the truck can do some interesting detours if you don’t pay attention

4F5EE340-1414-472B-97B0-323CDAF3D9F1.jpeg

I have one in both of my cars and I highly recommend them. I've never heard noise from either of them. Fantastic upgrade. Only caveat I could list is that it comes with a floating button that could fall out when assembling the unit.
20181030_103802.jpg
20181030_103858.jpg

I've heard nothing but good things (Eaton). When I was having the rear end rebuild in my Dodge 4x4 1500 I considered one of those but the price wasn't worth the application it would be in... which would be mostly street driven and only 20% used for 4 wheel drive with zero drag racing/slick usage...its a truck. So I just bought a brand new Auburn for 400 . It works great and makes no noise. All of the Auburn's I've ever bought have been used and I've only lasted five six years tops but that's used. So this is my personal experience with the new one and we'll see how it goes. Ultimately I'd say if you have the extra coin get the eaten but I've never had any problems with a regular clutch type Sure Grip like the one I have in my 67 Valiant except for when somebody sets it up to tight and it's full lock 24/7

I have about 5000 miles on mine with no complaints at all. I also have a mechanical limited slip in my Mustang so I don’t have much to compare it to directly at the moment.

IIRC recommended Motul oil was a bit expensive and needed to be changed after the first 1k (I believe) so that may be a small consideration.

-
Back