ECU leaked its juice.

-

dodgemahal

Reaction score
My 1973 Dart was in storage for many years. Now it's time to restore it. The ecu leaked it's contents during that time. I don't know what it is but it left a gross, sticky residue all over the inner fender. Any ideas on how to clean and remove it? It looks like it's stuck on pretty good, like it will need to be dissolved by something. Thanks.

Wecome to the site! Others will have better ideas on how to clean but my first thought might be hot water to loosen the glob and maybe use a plastic putty knife to scoop it off. I thought of SimpleGreen or the such but I believe that might damage the paint.

Thank you.....glad to join a bodies only! I'm not too concerned about the paint as I will re-paint.

I'd try "Goo-Gone".

That "brain goo" is super tough to get off and almost always takes the paint with it.

It's such a potential issue that I made a catch trough and spacer assembly to help ensure early detection and prevent paint damage.

Last edited:
BEFORE I tried any chemicals at all, I'd try a heat gun set on low and warm soapy water. Maybe Dawn dish washing detergent. Especially if the paint is still in decent shape.

FYI- Goo-Gone is orange citrus based and is actually non-toxic.

I've become quite the aficionado of that product.

It even removes "Sharpie" writing.

My 1973 Dart was in storage for many years. Now it's time to restore it. The ecu leaked it's contents during that time. I don't know what it is but it left a gross, sticky residue all over the inner fender. Any ideas on how to clean and remove it? It looks like it's stuck on pretty good, like it will need to be dissolved by something. Thanks.
@halifaxhops may know what to use. That potting is some nasty stuff.

FYI if all the pottant is gone from the back of the box you can buy pottant and replace it. Assuming you are good to use the box.

Had the same goo-leak problem. And didn't have to pay extra for the ECU, all included in the price!
I use HEI modules now, no internal goo....

I like the challenge of removing it without disturbing the paint, just for the fun of it. Yes, I'm that kind of car geek. I will repaint the entire car eventually.

You might try some bug and tar remover if you have any on a shelf just sitting there.

Update: so far what has worked is using a heat gun and plastic scraper first, thanks to rustyratrod's suggestion(many thanks), then scrubbing with a brush and a warm solution of Super Reprosolve made by Misty Corporation. It is an industrial detergent/degreaser. And the final ingredient is lots of elbow grease. The goo is nasty stuff folks!

-
Back