Eddy Carb Tuning Help

-

swies

Wish I had more time.
Reaction score
All;
I have seen many threads posted and even a how-to or two explaining Holley Carb tuning. But I don’t have a Holley, I have an Eddy 1405.
I have the tuning manual for it but would really like to read a how to from one or more of the persons on this great site with considerable skills.
Would any of you care to take on this endeavor?
Maybe it would end up in the How-To section?!?!
Sean

Do a search of this forum for tuning an Edelbrock 1406.
I know there have been several threads covering this. 1406 is the same carb just with electric choke

it may run great out of the box. more info needed. use the edelbrock 1/4" thick mounting gasket

it may run great out of the box. more info needed. use the edelbrock 1/4" thick mounting gasket
318 +.030
Zero Deck
Heads cleaned and squared
KB 167
XE268h kit
RPM A/G
1” phenolic open bore spacer
OEM Mopar Electronic Ignition

All;
I have seen many threads posted and even a how-to or two explaining Holley Carb tuning. But I don’t have a Holley, I have an Eddy 1405.
I have the tuning manual for it but would really like to read a how to from one or more of the persons on this great site with considerable skills.
Would any of you care to take on this endeavor?
Maybe it would end up in the How-To section?!?!
Sean

It would be easy to tell someone how and what parts to change or adjust, but not so easy for some to know when, why, or how much.
Heck I know people that can't tell their own car is only running on 6 of the 8 cylinders.:D

Funny you said that. Yesterday I changed Valve covers on my 318. Did drivers side valve cover and put plug wires back on. Did Pass. side valve cover and went to start car and it fired right up but had a slight miss. Checked plug wires and forgot to put all 4 wires back on the Pass side. I thought I only screwed up 1 or 2 wires not all 4.

It would be easy to tell someone how and what parts to change or adjust, but not so easy for some to know when, why, or how much.
Heck I know people that can't tell their own car is only running on 6 of the 8 cylinders.:D
I get the trial and test and trial and test, but like a Holley I am sure there is a tried - true method to get to the proper starting point. Such as the “How to setup a Holley 4bbl for a Mopar” found in the how to section of this site.
That is what I am looking for. I see many questions when I search 1405 or 1406 with many scattered answers. Was hoping we could get a step by step guide to the start point that could also go in the How To section.

Friend of mine has 2 non mopars,both with eddy’s straight out of the box.both run well.
I have offered to tune both engines on several occasions but hes happy as they are.

Since every engine reacts different because of the build there's no hard and fast rule to set up carb. Unless you have an air/fuel sensor in the exhaust it's hard to get exact tune. A rule of thumb is checking the condition of the plugs, black is rich white is lean and tan is close to spot on.

Like all carbs, start by adjusting the the floats, and on an AFB float drop also. Make sure your tune is good, wires, plugs, timing. Check to be sure the choke is full open. Then adjust the carb idle mixture screws in all the way and back out 2 turns. Start it, warm it up and adjust your idle by turning your idle mixture screws in till the idle starts to drop, the turn out 1/4 turn. AFB’s can be tuned by rods out the top. Use larger diameter rods till you get a slight surging while cruising at highway speed. Then try the next smaller diameter rods. This should get you to a good baseline. You should need the choke to close to start. When warm the choke should be fully open. Now you can try smaller rods to see if there are any gains in drive ability or power. Aftermarket AFB’s use 2 step rods which can lead to a lean condition at cruising speed, even though idle and WOT are fine. You may have to go a little smaller diameter to get the mixture richer for cruising speed.

Jetting is the same approach
Ede has metering rods which are like the power valve in a holley.
Step up springs are another tuning tool that is pretty easy to figure out.

-
Back