Edelbrock 1405 carb

-

Matthew Irish

Reaction score
Alright
Just after some knowledge
Will the Edelbrock 1405 bolt straight on to a cast standard Mopar 360 intake ?
Trying to get the 318 to move

The 1405 is a square bore carb, right? Factory 360 4bbl. manifolds were all TQs to my knowledge- I'd have to say no...
Have you even tried to bolt on an Edelbrock carb to a TQ intake?

Don’t answer that because I know the answer is no.
I know this because I did it.

Next....

Have you even tried to bolt on an Edelbrock carb to a TQ intake?

Don’t answer that because I know the answer is no.
I know this because I did it.

Next....
That's why I asked if the Edelbrock 1405 was a square bore carb (standard pattern)- I didn't have an Eddy to try, but a quick search listed it as a square bore, so I did try a Comp Series 625 Carter (square bore) and it wasn't even close on a factory TQ manifold. Yes, I did try it before I ever responded.

TQ is short for "ThermoQuad", which is a spreadbore carb and what 360 manifolds were designed for.

Edelbrock does make spreadbore carbs that will fit, but I don't think the 1405 is one of them. I could be wrong.

The 1405 is a square bore carb, right?
Yes
That's why I asked if the Edelbrock 1405 was a square bore carb (standard pattern)- I didn't have an Eddy to try —- Yes, I did try it before I ever responded.

So you tried it before and did t know the Edelbrock was a square bore carb... yeaaaa, OK....

And then you said you tried it before.... so then you would know it works...... I know it works. Hey had it on top of a ‘79 OEM 4bbl. The car also had a 904 & 2.76 gears in the 8-1/4 w/26 inch tires. I’d get 20 mpg’s out of that.
E8B373C5-AD74-4EE5-A243-1172F4169FAB.jpeg
B960B769-550A-4664-8109-DA631B643140.jpeg
DB0ACB29-864C-4249-B7D1-F20D968DA806.jpeg
9D856633-262F-40A8-84A5-A5FA6BDF080A.jpeg

It’ll fit.... I’ve done this and used it for 7 years like that.

Okay, here's the deal: the Carter I grabbed was only drilled single pattern, and it didn't fit, and I didn't think any more of it... dug a different baseplate out of the parts box that had both patterns and it did fit. So I am willing to eat crow when I need to. Didn't doubt you or mean to offend, Rob. Honest mistake.

No adapter necessary....although Edelbrock does make a thin metal spacer to assure there are no leaks about the secondary bulges. BUT, you don't even need that if you use the wide perimeter gasket like in @rumblefish360's photos up there^^^^^^. Even still I recommend it because I've seen them bolt on and work great and the suck that gasket out because there's such a small amount of contact area back there. This is it.

Carb Adapter #2732 for Edelbrock Manifolds Only, Square Bore-Spread Bore .100in

No need for all that thick 1/2" or 3/4" stuff. That will do the trick and be on there forever.

What gaskets do you have? I believe the thick insulator gasket will solve your problem. Besides, you need it anyway to help keep the carburetor cool. The gasket you need is like over 1/4 thick and has the anti crush plastic washers in the corners.
I got the 1/4 inch one on the way in the post

-
Back