Edelbrock 340 Torker intake?

-

jeeper

Reaction score
I have had an offer of a 340 Torker intake. I would imagine that this is a high rpm racing type of intake from yesteryear but I really don't know.

It would likely be going on a 360 street-strip type of engine.

Any comments, tech speces etc?

Thanks again, ROB

When I was gathering parts for my 340 build I had one of these. This was way back. I talked with Ed Hamburger. He was the expert on small block mopars. He ran a business which dealt with 340's and 360's only. He told me this intake was a poor choice, that the stock manifold put out more horsepower. I sold it. This was what I was told so I hope this helps.

Fred

I've got one on a 318 with heads ported to the 360 runner size. I've got no complaints. I wouldn't run it with a stock converter, though.

It does not sound good. Maybe if it was cheap just to try it.

I had a friend who had a single plane high rise Weiand on a very mild 318. It wouldn't idle etc. very well. He put on a basic Performer and it idled and ran better.

Thanks for the input and ideas as always, ROB

Rob I have one on my 68 Cuda 360 street/strip car. I used it because it came with the car and is in good physical shape and I ran out of money. I did some research on it and the general consensus seems to be that it is an outdated manifold that can be easily topped by the new RPM or Air-gap. Single plane manifolds in general suffer from poor fuel distribution but the older ones like this one are worse. It don't surprise me that your friends car idled better with the dual plane performer.

Mine is a little soft on the low end considering the build. As soon as I can I plan on switching to an Edelbrock RPM.

That's what I was running on the car mentioned in my thread "Captainkirks's Duster Project".....and that's what's going back on to the next one. It ran like a scalded dog. I had no complaints.

I have found the intake to able to make good power over the stock intake, if use correctly. It's fickle in what you do with it. It is out dated and old, but for a cheap intake, it's OK to use.
My RPM kicked it's but down low, held a near toe to toe on the top end.
MoPar Muscle did a S/B intake shot out. It faired well. Typical low end lack of torque. Careful on the combo & carb size.

Your gonna like the RPM fishy.

I'm selling off some Aspen R/T parts and put in my ad that I would possibly accept some used speed parts in trade. I don't even know if he wants to sell it outright or what. That is where the question came from. I want to know what I am getting into before I talk to someone.

I know that there are some older intakes that are pretty well respected, I didn't know about this one though.

At this point I have three intakes: Stock, The Holley Street Dominator and then a basic Performer intake. I think we have ruled out the street dominator from past discussions.

I sent out an email to the guy wondering what he wanted out of the intake, we will see what comes back.

Thanks, ROB

Well, the stock 4bbl is good for about 220 duration. Other manifold will do better than the stock one, but for a ref-point, thats where the stock intake really shows it's limits. You can use it with a bigger cam, but it becomes something of a increasingly limited RPM window with less power as you increase the duration and power band of the engine. The same with any intake with the wrong cam or imbalance in the combo.
The performer is about the same and can be port match some to the larger ports.

If you look into a Torker intake, look for the newest one you can find. The last run was a TorkerII 360. It should be the best performing of the series.
The OE Torker was a very straight leged runner intake. The TorkerII's have a curved runner.

If you sell of the intakes, use the money to roll over into a new intake.

Good morning Rumblefish,

If I keep hoarding, something I am prone to do, I will be able to sell them all and just buy the darn RPM!

I have collected almost all the hard parts now. I get the engine stand next week and I can tear down my new 360. It has the smell of a rebuild which could be good or bad, I don't know yet.

The majority of the actual build is likely going to occur right after X-mas. I intend to build the engine at home and then do the install etc. with my kids.

I found some headers for $75.00 that are NIB. I'm thinking of getting those here in about a week.

BTW- what are the opinions of the Wieand single plane intake for a mild street strip 360?

ROB

Our car had a Torker on it for years. We took it off because we thought it was leaking coolant into the engine, it wasn't. I put a Victor Jr. on in place of it. The low end was about the same. The top end is much better. Don't know how concerned you are about low end, I'm not. Some dual plane intakes such as a performer or performer rpm may be good choices, I don't have any experience with them.

I think the LD340 or Performer RPM will walk all over the torker in many cases. My new motor has a Victor on it.

IM000622.gif

I agree with ya Adam , I think the victor is king right now. I run a Edelbrock TM5 and I'm real happy with it BUT if I were to change I* would be going with the victor too

jeeper said:
BTW- what are the opinions of the Wieand single plane intake for a mild street strip 360?

ROB

Never ran one. The thing on single planes is fuel distabution. (sp) If you can even it out, then your in good shape.
Adam is right on a good dual plane. It is best for street, street/strip duty.
The Victor is a higher RPM intake and best suited for a serious build that will take advantage of the higher RPM ceilng caplable of the intake.

IMO, since your building a street strip engine with a 360, I would focus on a torque build. In example;
RPM with a vaccum seconddary carb for an automatic trans, DP's are great for manual box's with not more than 750 CFM
Cam durations not more than 240 duration, 244 pushing it. Use a split pattern cam shaft like a Comp Cam extreme line. I'd go with the hi-lift series and well preped ported heads and 1-3/4 headers, 3 inch exhaust.
Good engine work and a well tuned carb and ignition can be 470 HP.
Proper stall converter if auto is a must for a good luanch.
Rear gear like 4.10's - 4.30's and a 27-28 X 10inch wide tire.
Rear suspension upgrade to S/S Springs or Cal-tracs.

This makes enuff power to blow the tires off through 2 gears if your foot just slams the throttle.

I have this (Very close) build up in my Cuda. Haveing a purple 292 cam, IMO, I could get away with less cam, better cam, better carb (AFB-750) OOTB Edel. heads that could use some improved prep work on them.
Though it did run well. Theres still more in there without going the "Stepping up" route.

I decided to not pursue it. It was somewhat inconvenient to get and my new engine has a Performer intake on it now.

I may very well find a better intake by the time the engine hits the car, but I know it will work for now.........plus I own it!

Thank you, ROB

340 Dart, Ed Hamurger told me the same thing about 20 years ago. He said it was "the worst" manifold I could run. I used an Offy PortO-sonic manifold. A good one too, and one of the best at the time. The Holley strip dominator is a good solid single plane for std. heads. The M1 is a newer copy of that manifold. Terry.

Sorry Rumblefish, I should have been more specific. Hamburger didn't like the 'older' Edelbrock Torqer' single plane with the straight runners. I was using one at the time and it was ok..I had much more low end with the stock TQ cast iron manifold. The newer torqer is a good piece. Terry.

okay listen this is how it works you cant just go slappin whatever intake every one says is good on there you have to match it with your set up ie cam,carb,heads, every one has a diffrent oppinion on what is good due to diffrent combos the reason your buddies lil 318 ran better with a performer on it is bc the peformer is a low ride dual plane sit up witch works good in stock to mild motors and as far as the air gap intakes go to me they are just dual plane torker 2s (if they ever made them.)with a gap in it not too much of a diffrence there

Have this one on my 360 combined with 3500 stall and 3.7 gears.
Goes pretty well in fact I am running out of fuel at the top end so I am upgrading larger ID fuel lines

Cheers

Benton

MVC-005F.JPG

I want that intake housing around the air cleaner! Never seen one like that before, where did you get it?

-
Back