Edelbrock Crankcase Ventilation Hose Connection to PCV breather

-

73Dart340Sport

73dart340
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Good evening folks. I am baffled and am hoping someone can point the solution I’m missing out.

I have an older Edelbrock PVC breather port that is supposed to connect via a hose to the air cleaner #1205 fitting that mounts to my Edelbrock air cleaner. However if you look casually (or closely) you will probably come to the same conclusion I’ve come to.....the diameters of the hose fittings are radically different. The air cleaner attachment is 1/2 and the external diameter is about 7/8. The Edelbrock directions are fairly useless so I’m hoping someone can point out the obvious solution that I’m missing. I’d like to hook up the PCV if I can!

Thanks in advance for your help!
image.jpg

That's not the PVC, that's the crankcase vent, which is part of the PCV system. I would get a 90* fitting that attaches with a hole and has two lock nuts that has a 1/2" hose barb and call it a day.

That's not the PVC, that's the crankcase vent, which is part of the PCV system. I would get a 90* fitting that attaches with a hole and has two lock nuts that has a 1/2" hose barb and call it a day.
I’m not quite sure I follow you. As I understand there is an air breather on one valve cover and then on the other valve cover there is a fitting that connects to the air cleaner. Do you by chance have a picture of what you have done.

I’m not quite sure I follow you. As I understand there is an air breather on one valve cover and then on the other valve cover there is a fitting that connects to the air cleaner. Do you by chance have a picture of what you have done.

Mine would be different because it is a slant six. Here is a diagram of how a properly set up PCV system should be. PVC valve on one side and crankcase vent on the other.

PCV SYSTEM.jpg

Mine would be different because it is a slant six. Here is a diagram of how a properly set up PCV system should be. PVC valve on one side and crankcase vent on the other.

View attachment 1715522245
Thanks. A picture is worth a thousand words. I’m assuming what I need first off then is a PCV “valve” and a line running to the large center port on the front of my AVS. Thanks RustyRatRod!

I used a brass elbow at the air cleaner for the case vent inlet and a little PEX to air tight fit it to the air cleaner with the PEX crimp ring.
Then drilled and wired it so it can't go anywhere if something comes loose.
Nothing has in four years of daily duty.
The hose the goes to the breather cap like you have on the valve cover on the opposite side valve cover of the PCV valve.

Ha, just noticed these pics are so old the car had the 318.:D

3.jpg

1.jpg

SANY0181.JPG

Thanks. A picture is worth a thousand words. I’m assuming what I need first off then is a PCV “valve” and a line running to the large center port on the front of my AVS. Thanks RustyRatRod!

You're certainly welcome.

I used a brass elbow at the air cleaner for the case vent inlet and a little PEX to air tight fit it to the air cleaner with the PEX crimp ring.
The hose the goes to the breather cap like you have on the valve cover on the opposite side valve cover of the PCV valve.

View attachment 1715522297

View attachment 1715522298

View attachment 1715522299

And then we have people like this guy ^^^^^ usin bread ties, zip ties and duct tape holdin his junk together. LOL

I ran into this on my 460. I ended up using a Ford oil fill that has the barb that is the same size. In Mopar land can you use the a stock breather?

upload_2020-5-5_7-25-17.png

I ran into this on my 460. I ended up using a Ford oil fill that has the barb that is the same size. In Mopar land can you use the a stock breather?

View attachment 1715522439
I don’t think so. One issue I’m coming across is the 30 year old aftermarket valve covers seem to have non-standard sized orifices. None of the OEM fit.

View attachment 1715522297

View attachment 1715522298

View attachment 1715522299
Thanks. Good picture!

I don’t think so. One issue I’m coming across is the 30 year old aftermarket valve covers seem to have non-standard sized orifices. None of the OEM fit.

Shoot us a picture of what your dealing with, someone might have an answer. there are also plastic straight and elbows that adapt sizes.

Last edited:

Do you have a pic of your engine/valve covers you are working on ?
Maybe we can do this without caveman engineering.

I can't see the passenger side valve cover, but I would do something like this. Breather on one side (not hooked to filter housing), pcv valve on the other side, hooked to pcv port on carb. Your valve covers have a knock out for the pcv grommet.
Switch the breather side vc to the passenger side, and pcv cover to drivers side. Give the Edelbrock 1205 to some Chivy guy.

s-l300.jpg

OEM-Mopar-PCV-Hose-Grommet-Valve-KIT-1968-74-340-440.jpg

Picture 498.jpg

Last edited:
Personally if I had a 73 340 car I would cut out all the headache and go back to OEM. You'll thank me later.

1970 340 valve covers.jpg

I can't see the passenger side valve cover, but I would do something like this. Breather on one side (not hooked to filter housing), pcv valve on the other side, hooked to pcv port on carb. Your valve covers have a knock out for the pcv grommet.
Switch the breather side vc to the passenger side, and pcv cover to drivers side. Give the Edelbrock 1205 to some Chivy guy.

View attachment 1715523484

View attachment 1715523485

View attachment 1715523488
Question,

if I got an oil cap for the left side that was sealed and then put the pvc on the left using the knock-out, and then put a breather on the right I’m guessing it might work. The only issue would be the oil cap not sealing and causing a vacuum leak (through the oil cap seal) which would cause leaning at idle. I like the look of your system but would like to avoid getting new valve covers if not necessary. (I wish I’d not tossed the oem but I was 17).

Not sure what else to tell you.
Maybe Google some pics of Mopar small blocks, and see if you see something similar to what you have.

-
Back