Edelbrock LD4B

-

MOPARJ

What can I upgrade now?
Reaction score
I am currently running an Edelbrock Performer intake on my 318 with XE268 cam, headers, and 600 cfm carb, 8.5:1 compression.

Would swapping to a LD4B intake be of any noticeable benefit, power wise, or is it not worth the time and money. Guess of a gain?

An LD4b will kill a regular performer 318/360...

It a really good intake.

As I understand the LD4B manifold was designed for use on the 273 back in the 60's. Port sizes on the 273 heads are smaller than your 318. Just like everything else, manifold technology has advanced in the last 40 yrs. IMHO you'd be stepping backwards switching manifolds.

I have to agree with crackedback. The LD4B is a good intake with decent size ports for a 318 and an improvement over a "regular" Performer intake. Ports not too big like an LD340 or other 340/360 port-sized intakes. A Performer RPM is different and would be equal or better. There was a rare D4B for the original 273 with the oddball intake bolt angle. Then the LD4B came out for the 273 and 318 when they standardized the intake bolt angle on all the small blocks, I believe in '67 or '68.

If you can get a deal on the LD4B, get it.

As I understand the LD4B manifold was designed for use on the 273 back in the 60's. Port sizes on the 273 heads are smaller than your 318. Just like everything else, manifold technology has advanced in the last 40 yrs. IMHO you'd be stepping backwards switching manifolds.

The D4b was the 273 intake manifold.

The performer 318/360 is a total pile of crap compared to a LD4b on a performance oriented build.

An LD4b is the 273/318 intake counterpart to an LD340 for the 340/360 port size. A 40 year old LD340 is just about as good as ANY dual plane intake for a street car even today, even the Performer RPM and Air Gaps. Ask any of the engine builders, Barton and two others have stated, if you have a LD340, getting an RPM or Air gap isn't worth the coin.

J, keep your feelers out. LD4b's pop up every once in a while. I'd have to look if I have one, last one I got cost almost $150.

I still have that shroud if you want it.

I put a ld4b on my 340, x heads. Gasket match involved about an 1/8" all the way around.

I was bidding on an LD4B on ebay recently, and I got the stich at $300. They must be a good manifold if people are prepared to pay that much for them.

No, this is just an opinion and I know everyone has one but the LD4B is an amazing intake I am running one on my 318 it has 318 ports and pulls from about 2600 all the way to 6400. I am sure someone else will say differently but if you decide not to use it I will buy it for an extra.

Also I just looked at your setup mine is almost identicle but I have the 260h cam and it has been balanced ina 85 long wheel base 318 727 ram with 2.94 ration and managed to hit 15.9 as my best time

LD4B is identical to the Weiand Stealth.

Yes, I've had both side to side. Yes, the Stealth has 318 sized ports unlike what everyone here is going to tell you.

Yes, the LD4B/Stealth will way outpower the Perforer intake.

I had both an LD4B on my engine and a Wieand Stealth and the LD4B blew it away. It's a great manifold. I gave mine to a friend here on FABO. I'm kinda kicking myself in the *** for it, lol.

The height and port sizes are just about identical but something else is different. The midrange comes on like gangbusters and it just pulls...

My LD4b never had the tuning quirks the stealth required to run correct.

Everyone has a different deal with these things, my stealth required more jet in the deep well side of the plenum. The LD4b didn't require that change to get proper distribution.

My LD4b never had the tuning quirks the stealth required to run correct.

Everyone has a different deal with these things, my stealth required more jet in the deep well side of the plenum. The LD4b didn't require that change to get proper distribution.

I agree again. My Weiand has become a bear to jet. I'll be making more changes this weekend. The fuel distribution is exceedingly poor compared to the eddy.

In anticipation of these manifolds becoming scarece I have been gathering these manifolds and now have a pretty good supply. Most I've aquired have come from Chevy/Furd swaps. The last manifold I saw at a Mopar swap was $250. The D4Bs with the Chrysler part number are now allowed in Stock Eliminator which makes them sought after. I have D4B's on all the 273s I have both in cars and on engine stands.

I am looking for an Edlebrock LD4B for my 273. It's a 66 2bbl "hipo-ized" with a cam and cast iron 4 bbl manifold. 4 sp. Does anyone have an LD4B for sale? Do you think it would make much of a difference?
20170620_141047.jpg

I believe that if you have the early style heads, you will need a D4B. The LD4B fits later 273, 318, 340 & 360 heads.
I'm "pretty sure", but would feel better if someone could confirm.
I'd suggest posting in the "wanted" section when confirmed.

Properly tunes, a small 4 bbl will certainly make a noticeable difference.

It will definitely be an improvement.
Keep in mind the LD4B has no coil mount provision but you can use a 6pack coil bracket. That's what I used. Also get a proper socket adapter for the torque wrench when tightening bolts by carb plenum.
I am looking for an Edlebrock LD4B for my 273. It's a 66 2bbl "hipo-ized" with a cam and cast iron 4 bbl manifold. 4 sp. Does anyone have an LD4B for sale? Do you think it would make much of a difference?View attachment 1715125431

Yes no and no! The D4B was designed for the 64 and 65 273's. The LD4B was a re-designed D4B for use on the 66 and newer 273 and 318 engines. The ports are the same on the 273 and 318 heads. The Edelbrock is a dual plane manifold that works very well on both engines.

In anticipation of these manifolds becoming scarece I have been gathering these manifolds and now have a pretty good supply. Most I've aquired have come from Chevy/Furd swaps. The last manifold I saw at a Mopar swap was $250. The D4Bs with the Chrysler part number are now allowed in Stock Eliminator which makes them sought after. I have D4B's on all the 273s I have both in cars and on engine stands.
I have a couple manifolds as well. $250 is a normal price for them. The last one I sold for $250 as well. It was a nice manifold though.

1514651347578157568900.jpg
The engine came out of a 66 Barracuda. The owner is a professional engine builder with a lot of racing experience. He's the one that recommended the LD4B so I'm thinking it should fit. Currently it's running an Edelbrock 500cfm carb on a cast iron intake.

Mike have you got a pic of that "socket" adapter you sold me?
Yep!
Box End Torque Adapter.jpg
This torque adapter works well for the hard to get at center intake bolts (if you use a torque wrench)

Last edited:
-
Back